Essential film festival stories

SimonKJones
SimonKJones ModeratorWebsite User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
http://youtu.be/vrzNtTcOplg
Ouch. Found that courtesy of this article:
http://www.chrisjonesblog.com/2013/08/nine-personal-and-shocking-experiences-that-reflect-the-terrible-underbelly-of-some-film-festivals.html
I've been deeply suspicious of small film festivals for quite some time and that article doesn't change my mind. I'd certainly be interested to hear what other people here think about festivals - have you experienced them yourself? Do you have any good anecdotes to counter these? Do we think film festivals even have a role to play in the modern online age?

Comments

• DanielMorgan
    DanielMorgan Website User Posts: 324 Just Starting Out
    edited August 2013
    Ah man I saw this ages ago, its terrible. I have many friends who have awful stories from Swansea Bay. They were having a complete reshuffle of organisers to try to shake the bad press. Some of the film screenings were just projected onto a wall -_-
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Looking at the comments on the video, it sounds like the reshuffle was largely an illusion with the same guy in charge operating under various pseudonyms.
    Of course, as soon as I heard about filmmakers travelling from America to go to a Swansea film festival I was expecting disappointment, but wasn't quite prepared for the level of ineptitude on display.
    My only experience with festivals is via fantasy and sci-fi festivals/conventions who have actually come to us, asking to show Arms Race. They've always been very respectful and certainly didn't expect an entry fee. They seemed aware that it was content like ours which enables them to have a festival in the first place. Charging a fee really only makes sense if your festival is huge and guaranteed to provide major exposure - something that local festivals will never, ever do, regardless of how good/bad they are.
  • RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast

Comic Con is coming to Salt Lake City in a couple weeks and is having a film festival in conjunction with the Con. The only downside is that Fan Films like I have worked on are not allowed to complete. If I wanted to pay the entry fee, they would show my film, but I wouldn't even be getting any sort of judges feedback. So, where our group does this for fun much more than for notoriety, we're skipping the film festival.

My only experience with festivals is via fantasy and sci-fi festivals/conventions who have actually come to us, asking to show Arms Race. They've always been very respectful and certainly didn't expect an entry fee. They seemed aware that it was content like ours which enables them to have a festival in the first place. Charging a fee really only makes sense if your festival is huge and guaranteed to provide major exposure - something that local festivals will never, ever do, regardless of how good/bad they are.
  • DanielMorgan
    DanielMorgan Website User Posts: 324 Just Starting Out
    Looking at the comments on the video, it sounds like the reshuffle was largely an illusion with the same guy in charge operating under various pseudonyms.
    Of course, as soon as I heard about filmmakers travelling from America to go to a Swansea film festival I was expecting disappointment, but wasn't quite prepared for the level of ineptitude on display.

You're right about the illusion of the reshuffle. However, people have clocked onto Binda's lazy way of treating film makers. Michael Sheen no longer supports the festival & many high profile welsh celebrities who were once supporters of the festival have rescinded said support, Catherine Zeta Jones , Anthony Hopkins etc. Last I heard, the festival is currently being managed (on the surface) by a guy who in his full time occupation, runs the refrigerator room in the local Asdas. 

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    I think the festival thing is more complicated if you want filmmaking to be your actual career. With It's A Trap, we do it for fun - while we take it seriously, we all have our own separate careers already. As such, we'd much rather put Arms Race on YouTube and get 100,000 views than faff about for years putting it in festivals with 5 people in attendance.
    But if you're specifically trying to network and get 'noticed', it's a more complicated situation.