Transcoding to DNxHD

Shocky
Shocky Website User Posts: 8

There have been posts mentioning it but I'm sorry I can't seem to figure it out.

People are saying to use DNxHD to make editing easier in Hitfilm, but the programs I've heard recommended have been giving me trouble and there are no tutorials really for this specific issue.

MPEG Streamclip keeps saying I need an older version of QuickTime and when I tried that, QuickTime wouldn't start and long story short I spent 2 hours restoring my original QuickTime and redownloading my other apple programs like Itunes because of a bunch of bunny trail issues.

Handbrake doesn't seem to have an option for DNxHD.

I'm sure I'm missing something, this whole codec thing is new territory for me I'd be really grateful for a save, even if I'm missing something obvious. 

But also what are some other programs I could try? I'm willing to buy something It doesn't have to be free (though that is nice).

Comments

• SteveKarstensen
    SteveKarstensen Website User Posts: 336

Try Video2Video.  It's what I use for my DNxHD and all of my other other transcoding purposes, and it's free.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,005 Ambassador

Another note. You don't export to a "DNxHD format." You export to a Quicktime file, bit, in the Quicktime settings you select DNxHD in the codec settings. 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,063 Enthusiast

Convert V3 can transcode to DNxHD among other things including Prores. Convert does not require Quicktime for transcoding. However, Hitfilm will still need Qt for import.

Convert is not free but the trial version still works and is limited to transcoding two files at a time. The price is listed as $26 US.

http://hdcinematics.com/index.html

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,013 Ambassador
    edited October 2016

I've been using ClipToolz V2 to convert .mov from my camera to DNxHD for HF.  As long as you have the codecs installed you can also output to ProResHD, which I think performs a little better in HF.

Link to ClipTooz: http://hdcinematics.com/convert-V2.html

Edit: Actually hitting "download" on that link doesn't get you anywhere.  Looks like V2 has been retired.   There is a version3 available: http://hdcinematics.com/  (same link that NormanPCN posted)

I guess you just have to pick your poison when it comes to a paid version.  I can say that V2 does the job.  So I assume V3 is just a capable.

• NormanPCN

Yes, Convert V2 can do DNxHD, Prores, etc al. It is fully self contained and does not need external codecs installed. Convert V2 was eventually released free.

Convert was originally not free. Then when the author abandoned it he made it free. Then he decided to continue development with V3 and it again is no longer free.

Supposedly V3 has some changes for Windows 10 compatibility as well as all other other new features. Basic transcode to DNxHD, Prores is essentially unchanged.

• Shocky

Triem23,

I'm confused, are you simply saying my terminology is wrong (which I'm fine with btw I want to say it right), or are you saying that in the programs everyone one is advising me to get, it won't say DNxHD? If so what will it say on the list of codecs I can change it to?

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'm really trying to understand.

Are there any tutorials you know or possess of  converting a file to DNxHD? When I see something visually I understand a lot better I just haven't found anything on it.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,005 Ambassador
    edited October 2016

@Schocky I didn't explain well. 

In short, "video files" are "containers." Depending on the container,  one would find a video steam, one or more audio streams and/or Metadata (identification codes, etc). A container is also called a "wrapper." 

The video information itself is encoded via a "codec" (COmpressor/DECompressor). A common video codec is h.264, which is used in MP4 files. However, h.264 can also be the codec used in a MOV file (most DSLRs shoot h.264 codec in MOV container).

So there is no such thing as a "DNxHD file," rather, one would use a MOV file with a DNxHD codec. 

Sorry, I am on a multi day gig and away from my computer--additionally, I use Vegas Pro to convert files, so I am working from memory here. In MPEG Streamclip you would select "Export As," then select Quicktime (or MOV. Whatever it's called). In the Quicktime options you should see something called either "codec" or "compression type." Assuming you have already installed the DNxHD codec on your machine it should be in that drop-down. Once you have selected DNxHD you should see a "configure" button. Clicking that brings up the resolutions and bitrates supported.

DNxHD files are much larger than h.264. This is why they are easier to edit. H.264 crams data into as small a file size as possible but requires a lot of horsepower to decode as h.264 encodes in blocks of frames... Usually 15 to 30, but sometimes as high as 120! Assuming a block of 30,this means for Hitfilm to display frame 15,it has to look at frames 0-29. DNxHD compresses each frame separately. Easier for the computer. 

This tutorial looks like it covers DNxHD conversion in the (free) software MPEG Streamclip... At least that's what the thumbnail shows. 

DNxHD codec download link:  http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-QuickTime-Codecs-LE

Finally, Handbrake only outputs h.264. There are h.264 settings that perform fairly well in Hitfilm. Watch BOTH tutorials in this thread. The first covers using Handbrake. The second has the optimized settings.  http://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/40639/how-to-work-with-edit-video-game-footage-in-hitfilm#latest

• Shocky

Thank you so much! you are a life saver! I'm starting to understand (still wrapping my head around it) and the video made sense I was doing it all wrong.

Have a great day!

• MartinMunthe
    MartinMunthe Website User Posts: 15
    edited October 2016

No, there is such a thing as a DNX format (drop the "DNxHD" that's not the naming since january 2016). The specifications for DNX is within an open .mxf.

For too many reasons to mention I would never wrap DNX in a QT container. But some of the reasons are: Apple will drop QT and then you're fucked. QT is not multi platform compatible.

I tried to import a regular standard DNX yesterday and Hitfilm Pro failed.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Enthusiast
    edited October 2016

@NormanPCN is what @MartinMunthe saying correct, is there an alternative for QT on Windows? 

Sounds odd that, because as far as I´m concerned, HitFilm won´t read this "DnX" codec, can something inside the codec be altered?

Looked a few stuff up and it appears that DnX is from Mac´s.

Í´m confused now, because if they dropped the DNxHD name, what would you call DNxHR then?

And, is DnX a intermediate codec as well?

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,445 Enthusiast

Converting to DNxHD (still called that in Convert v3) messes with the colours by overbrightening them anyway. ProRes 4k seems to work OK. ProRes HD similarly mucks things up.

• MartinMunthe
    MartinMunthe Website User Posts: 15
    edited October 2016

DNxHD and DNxHR are now called DNX. To simplify things.

DNX is an intermediate. 8-bit and 10-bit. HR is for 4K and upwards.

Adobe has written it's own QT-framework to get away from being dependent on Apples updates and general structure. ProRes is a great codec but sadly it's locked inside of Apples golden cage.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

"DNxHD and DNxHR are now called DNX. To simplify things."

Not sure where that's coming from because officially Avid is still making a distinction using "Avid DNxHR and DNxHD

@CNK It's not really  an alternative for QuickTime. You have a choice of file containers for DNxHD and DNxHR, QuickTime MOV or the more "open" MXF. The problem with MXF is it ended up not being very standardized or open with a lot of proprietary flavors out there. 

• NormanPCN

@CNK As Aladdin4d states. No real alternative to Quicktime for DNxHD/HR. Avid only offers the DNxHD/HR codec for the Quicktime subsystem. They could have offered it on the Video for Windows (AVI) subsystem on Windows but they chose not to.

For general codec subsystems on Windows we have the original archaic Video for Windows, then DirectShow, then Media Foundation. Editors have only ever supported VfW for decode/encode. VfW is tied to AVI files.

While the VfW and Qt subsystems are supported by editors most apps it seems are going with native support for file containers/codecs and thus bypassing those subsystems and the potential for "codec hell" due to us wackadoodle users installing all kinds of crud. Look at Vegas. It supports a lot and it's native. Look at Hitfilm. It does not support a lot. Native solves a lot of issues but the problem is it costs $ in license fees.

Without native we are stuck with whatever is offered, by whoever, for whatever $, for any of the codec subsystems that are supported.

• Shocky

Are there any books or cheap courses where I could learn more about this kind of stuff? It seems mostly overlooked when it comes to learning film.

• Triem23

I think good ol' Google/Bing/search engine of choice searching might be your best option. Codecs and containers do change regularly and print books are likely to be obsolete.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Enthusiast

Thanks.

Well to me it's not a big deal, and I can't imagine that it's a big deal to other people, transcoding really doesn't take long. But the brightness change is still annoying to this day, ever since I made that thread.