Windows 10 Optimization

JCL_Films
JCL_Films Website User Posts: 158 Enthusiast

While I like Windows 10, it seems to be geared much more toward social activities (games, social media, fun apps, social work , etc.) Not only does this make the OS a little distracting, but it has to be adding to all of the background processing. Does the FXhome team or anyone else who uses Windows have a way to optimize (cut all unnecessary programs from) the OS so that it is at its best for applications like Hitfilm?

Comments

• Yeremyah
    Yeremyah Website User Posts: 1,000 Enthusiast

What are your specs? I don't have any issues on W10 myself

If you need more resources to run HitFilm, due to low specs, then close all apps that aren't needed yourself.

You can use something like JetBoost:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/jetboost.html

• Kadri
    Kadri Website User Posts: 171
    edited October 2016

Look out for Antivirüs, Firewall etc. kinda programs. If your computer is not connected to the web and you have a healthy manner for virüs and malware etc. you can stop them or don't use them (at your own risk of course). How much performance you get with this depends on the programs you use and might be even so little that someone other won't be bothered with this.

You could go paranoid and disable all small programs you see on the taskbar and use less icons on the desktop etc. too.

Use the Task Manager to see which programs are running at the startup and are still active .

Make a search regarding running services on Windows and which one you could disable all or change to manual.  There are many services. And be careful because you could make changes that you might regret if you don't know what you do.

There are some registry cleaners and similar programs that i used in the past but that might bring more problems that they are supposed to clear. I don't use any of them since i had a real problem with one of them years ago.

Don't know how much you could squeeze out of your computer with all those above...5%... maybe 10% ?  With the faster cores and much higher Ram count it isn't what i bother like in the past now. But that assumes that you don't have some garbage programs from your PC seller already dumped in your computer. So it is worth a look of course.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,063 Enthusiast

I would not worry about this too much. The PC is not a person and it has no life and, disregarding a virus, only does what it is told to do when it is told to do so. Most of these "background" tasks and services are just sitting around waiting for something to happen. Something to happen on your behalf. 

If you are worried about CPU utilization then you can just run task manager and watch it while nothing is going on. You should see 0-1%. I see that right now. Typing this message gets me about a 1% reading.

Some background tasks only kick in at idle detection. Things like disk defraggers and maybe app updates. They usually stop once the machine is no longer idle.

A game has nothing to do in the background. A social media app may update news, facebook, email, twitter and such but these things take almost no CPU and even then the only briefly. They are I/O bound and they are not really stealing any I/O that Hitfilm might want to use. They are hitting the NET. Those apps are mostly waiting for data to arrive. This takes no CPU.

These background things do take up some memory. The amount depending on the app. If physical memory gets short Windows is smart enough to notice that background app A is not doing much and a foreground app is wanting more memory. It will steal the physical memory from the "background" task to give to the currently hungry app(s) that are doing something.

A lot of apps install background or system tray apps.  If you are really concerned you can remove/disable some of these. For example, I have the GoPro studio  app installed, to get the Cineform codec, and it installs a tray application. I have no use for that feature and I removed it.

• DanielGWood
    DanielGWood Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,021 Just Starting Out
    edited October 2016

I wouldn't be too worried about Windows cruft. There is a bit more of it (or at least, what's there is is more visible), but as others have pointed out it won't have a huge impact on performance.

That said, Cortana does my head in, so I remove that from every Win 10 PC I can :)

The big hogs these days are browsers. Chrome has gotten terrible in the last few years, although they are finally addressing that now (and Firefox was never great for it). If you have Chrome open all the time, look into "The Great Suspender" - it's great for letting you keep your tabs without them chewing through all your memory.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,949 Enthusiast

Isnt Windows 10 much faster than previous versions? Feels like it.

• Yeremyah
    Yeremyah Website User Posts: 1,000 Enthusiast

CNK, did you have the same PC specs before W10?

• JCL_Films

Thanks everyone. I am glad that W10 is not taking as much as I thought. I will try to remove the icons that are not in use.

Another question related to this: Adobe seems to ask for reserved resources for their programs (I think it is called allocate memory). Does this mean that even if Adobe apps are closed that Hitfilm cannot access all of the computer’s resources because Adobe has “allocated them”?

Thanks

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,063 Enthusiast
    edited October 2016

In a word NO. Only a running program can allocate any resources, including memory, from the system. Even then the OS can virtualize the resources requested by the app. In fact, generally speaking, the OS has absolute authority and can refuse an application request.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,949 Enthusiast

Yeah, everything the same. @yeremyah

I'm 100% sure that Windows 10 is a faster OS all around. Keep in mind that I've been using the Windows 7 shell since the start of using Windows 10:

Wouldn't be able to use Windows 10 without it, lol.

• JCL_Films

That’s great to hear, thank you NormanPCN (and to everyone) for helping clarify and answer my questions.