Earthshattering HitFilm Model Pack

ESPicturesESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
edited August 2013 in General
Hi!
I've been absent from the forums pretty much all summer because I've been pretty busy working on various projects.
The good news is that one of those projects is a SciFi starship model pack I've been making for the HitFilm community.
The model pack is nearly ready.  I'll be releasing it this week.
Right now, I'm finishing up all of the last minute details on the models and making sure they don't have any problems importing into HitFilm 2 Ultimate.
The model pack will have 5 starships - a cruiser, a destroyer, a freighter, a frigate, and a carrier.  The model pack will also have a space station.  [carrier not pictured]
114103_original.jpg
My goal was to create a model pack that would:
1. Import easily and work well in HitFilm
2. Make things easy for novice HitFilm users; not have too high of a poly count or moving parts.
3. Be general in nature.  These models are not Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, Battlestar, etc.
    But I wanted them to feel as if they could belong in any one of those universes.
So make sure to check this thread again later this week to find out how to get the model pack.
But ...
I didn't post this thread just to tell you to check back later, because I did make one bonus model of a communications satellite that I will be releasing right now!
This model is free to use commercially or non-commercially.  You are licensed to use it for anything you want, but I retain ownership of the model [you can sell renders, but not the object itself or claim the model as your own work].  Credits are always appreciated but not necessary.
Right click on the download link and save: http://earthshatteringpictures.com/ComSat.zip
113774_original.jpg
The above picture was rendered from within HitFilm.
I'll be happy to answer questions about the model pack posted on this thread or the Earth Shattering Pictures production thread.
Thanks!
    Doug

Comments

• ESPicturesESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    Did anyone try it out?  I'm really curious as to whether it imports alright for everyone and how it well it loads in terms of speed/resource consumption.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,254 Ambassador
    I loaded it up--soon as I moved textures to the same folder as the model, everything loaded up.
    Here's a a quick still. Just tossed in a couple of quick lights, some ambient occlusion and used the nebula as an environment map.
    [attachment=632:ComSat Test.png]
    Cool beans.  Thanks for the feedback, Triem.  Glad to know everything imports as it should.
  • rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but it does load up just fine in HF2U.  For me, seemed to find the textures in the subdirectory they came in.  
    Nice work & thanks!
    Richard.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,254 Ambassador
    To clarify--I didn't try importing the model with the textures in the subfolder. In the past, when I've gone into Hitfilm with textures in a subfolder I've had to manually re-link textures, which is a timesuck. I seem to recall one of the tutorials saying to move the textures to the folder with the model.
    Anyway, after I import a model correctly I always save it out as a composite shot so if I ever want to re-use that model in another animation I don't have to set it up again.
    Thanks Richard!
    It should load up the textures from the sub folder without having to manually re-link any textures (except specularity maps if you decide to use them).  It took a little time for me to figure out how to export them so that they would load properly.  I know it does for me, but before I release the full model pack, I just wanted to confirm that nothing wonky was going on for anyone else that tried loading a model.
    Thanks for testing it out for me guys!
    The Star Ship Model Pack is finally up and available now at:
    http://earthshatteringpictures.com/ModelPack.html
    Had some problems with my mom being in the hospital, so it took longer than I would have liked to finish, but I'm just glad it's done!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG9c1rEOjDY