VFX artist required for awesome project!!!

Hello everyone,

I hope this message finds you well. We are looking for VFX artist's to help us with this large scale collaboration short film called "Sophie's Fortune". This is an ambitious and adventurous story that breaks the rules of conventional short films. We need people with a good skillset in After Effects to pull off this film well. We want to ensure that this film looks like a foreign and dangerous jungle whilst the chaos of action ensues around the characters. "Sophie's Fortune" should be loved by audiences for it's 'Indiana Jones-like' style shots and locations. 

We are looking for people who are wanting to break into the film industry like ourselves. We are independent British filmmakers all striving for bigger productions. Can you help with creating environments? e.g. add trees to form a jungle, extend walls to make a castle look bigger, etc. Does this sound interesting to you? The most important thing that we are looking for is that these effects need to look realistic and subtle. The skills required will include compositing, creating matte backgrounds (not essential)  and rotoscoping. 

You can view the trailer as well through the website: www.sophiesfortune.com 

Please let me know if you are interested by emailing phil[at]dividedproductions[dot]com

Kind regards,
Phil 

JOB DESCRIPTION:
Advert title: VFX Artist Required

Title: Sophie’s Fortune

Type: Short

Payment: Expenses (non profit short)

Type of job: Part-time

Dates: asap - 23/09/13

Description
An ambitious action/adventure not-for-profit film directed by the award-winning filmmaker Chris Cronin who’s previous film “Ante” has been described at a “Black-hearted little gem”. “Sophie’s Fortune” is a thrilling journey of castles, caves and jungles that is like no other film you have seen. 

The story follows Brendan who gets involved in a 'Fathers only' treasure hunt for the sake of his 7 year old niece Sophie. But what Brendan begins to realise is that the parents imagination may have gotten the better of them and it might not be so easy bringing home Sophie's Fortune. This unique film can be described as a cross between “Indiana Jones”, “The Goonies” and “Hook”. The team have finished filming this “epic” and is now approaching the post-production side of the endeavor. 

We will work with you remotely via the internet so location is not important at all, we simply need to work with you closely via email and phone calls to ensure that you are all working in the correct direction. 

Comments

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    I was very pleasantly surprised by that trailer. It's a fun premise and excuse for ADVENTURE! 
    Alas I don't have time to get involved, but hopefully you'll get some interest from others on the forum. One thing to note - this forum is specifically for users of the HitFilm software, so you're more likely to find experienced HitFilm users than AE users (though there are a good number of people with skills in multiple applications around here too). HitFilm is very capable of achieving the effects you outlined.
    I imagine people would like some more info on the shots, such a complexity, general quality level you're aiming for, maybe put up a few representative before/after shots that you already have completed? Plus how many shots do you expect this person to complete and in what time?
    Anyway, looks really fun. Let me know when it's ready for watching!
  • Phil_Producer
    Phil_Producer Website User Posts: 2
    Hi Simon,
    Thanks for the comments and it's just put a smile on my face. Just shows that all the hours, days, weeks and months that we've put into this film is worth it. 
    I've never used HitFilm before myself but just seen some tutorials and it looks to be a powerful piece of software! Looks to be very similar to After Effects which is nice. 
    The shots vary from simple greenscreen to complicated rotoscoping, tracking and compositing. It's a variety of shots as we didn't set out to have a film so heavy on effects but it's naturally evolved into what we have now. Believe it or not the first draft of the script starts off as 1 guy running around in the woods. It very quickly became 30 sentries, castles and caves and many an explosion. film is fun :)
    If you want to keep up to date with Sophie's Fortune then you can sign up to the newsletter at www.sophiesfortune.com
    Phil 
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,069 Staff
    I am really impressed with the trailer - made me smile and also at many points think that this is exactly the kind of thing that 'big kids' i.e. my dad and his friends, would have loved to have done at some point.
    It reminds me of several films mashed into one, and has a kind of playfulness/kid appeal to it that I really hope you guys keep despite the 'dangerous' jungle you want to portray.
    A really original idea and I hope you find someone for it. I agree with Simon - you may not find many people here who use After Effects but the software is vaguely similar, and HitFilm is certainly capable of the effects you are asking for. 
    This looks like a great project and I look forward to seeing how it turns out! Good luck guys. 
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,069 Staff

Also, I just re-read your description of the Rebecca's Fortune and you have listed two of the films I had associated with it in my head: Hook and Indiana Jones.
    Really, the similarities are so striking that you needn't mention them at all. I have always loved Hook since I was little and think that this short really captures the same 'magical' feeling. Hope that the finished product lives up to the excellent trailer.  :D