Video exports in slow motion!

spikeragario
spikeragario Website User Posts: 3

Hi, I have been editing a really well edited video in hitfilm 4 express that has taken me 5 hours. I finally finished and when i went to export it, the video exported in slow motion but the audio was fine. Turns out that it happens because the fps in the project settings was 59 and i could only export it in 30. I can't change the project settings to 30 because it would mess up my entire video and put everything out of place and I need that video urgently. I can't change the export settings to 59 because it says the codec does not support it or something like that. Could you tell how to export it in 59 fps? I cannot redo the video again.

Comments

• TriFlixFilms
    TriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 924 Just Starting Out*
    edited September 2016

On th eexport tab Increase the 4.0 setting to 4.2, had the same issue a week ago and that fixed it. Sorry i cant remember the name of that specific setting either...

• spikeragario

Thanks, I'll try exporting now and see if it works. Thanks for the help.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,798 Ambassador

Change "Level" for the mp4 export to 4.2 or higher. 

• spikeragario

Yes, its exporting now. I really hope it works. Thanks for your help.

• TriFlixFilms
    TriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 924 Just Starting Out*
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,249 Staff

HitFilm should give you an alert on the Level, if the level you have selected is too low for your desired frame rate.  Any time you have a set of Export options selected that aren't compatible, in fact, it should show alerts next to the ones that are in conflict, to make it clear which ones can be changed to correct the issue.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,043 Enthusiast

@AxelWilkinson I think those export warning icons are a nice touch.

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,422 Enthusiast

@NormanPCN @AlexWilkinson Considering the number of people who come here asking exactly the same questions about the Export options, perhaps they could be:

a) About 4 times the size and flashing? and
    b) Have a pop up text that explains why you can't do what you are trying to do, like "1080p 60fps requires a higher Level value than you have selected"? :)

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,261 Ambassador

Yeah, have to agree the warnings letting you know something is foobar are good, but some on screen hints or pop ups on what to do about them would be helpful.

• NormanPCN
    edited September 2016

@Palacono @AxelWilkinson I had was going to suggest that maybe they blink and that is a good idea.

IMO The real problem is that Hitfilm AVC output is not a technical encoder and yet they have the "level" option which is a technical encoder option. Most are not going to understand technical options.

Any need to generate an encode to some specific "level" is likely to need control of other options as well. e.g. Blu-ray is level 4.1 but also requires various VBV settings and 4 slices and so on. None of which Hitfilm lets us setup.

I think you go simple or all out with encoder options. Hitfilm is probably best off with simple and any level that is set in the resulting file should be set automatically based on other settings like frame size, rate and bitrate. It is a simple lookup table for FxHome to auto set level based on those user settings. I've previously suggested that level be dropped as a user encoder option.

One can even go so far as to remove the MAX bitrate option for VBR output. I have seen so many posts here where users use VBR with average and max set to the same values. If Hitfilm auto set the max to ~50% higher than a chosen average bitrate that would be fine and simplify things for users and get them better resulting encodes. Or have the UI clamp max to some % of avg. Any situation where you need fine control over max bitrate, because you need to conform to some spec, you are likely going to need control over at least the VBV options and maybe others.

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,249 Staff
    edited September 2016

Thanks for the feedback guys. The thing is, if you have settings of, say, 60fps, 1920x1080, and a Level of 4.0, you can change any of those three and get an acceptable combination. If you want the frame rate and resolution to stay the same, change the level. If you want the frame rate and level to stay the same, change the resolution, etc. Whichever one is least important to you, change that one and keep the other two. Although in most cases you won't want to change the frame rate from what your project uses.

But, like you say, maybe we can reconsider the way it is explained, or look into modifying the UI for the compression controls.

• NormanPCN
    edited October 2016

@AxelWilkinson  "The thing is, if you have settings of, say, 60fps, 1920x1080, and a Level of 4.0, you can change any of those three and get an acceptable combination. If you want the frame rate and resolution to stay the same, change the level. If you want the frame rate and level to stay the same, change the resolution, etc. Whichever one is least important to you, change that one and keep the other two."

All true. I would venture to say than < 1% (probably .1) of your users know what AVC level is, means, and how it is used and yet is is an option that users will have to adjust. 

Level is not a useful option. Hitfilm does not give us enough control over settings to generate conformant output for hardware devices or streaming as stated above.

All level effectively does for us in Hitfilm is stop us from rendering 50/60p or very high bitrates unless we change the level. This is not really useful, IMO. As prev stated Hitfilm should just auto set the level internally.

Another idea is to just have Hitfilm default to at least 4.2 instead of 4.0 so that these constant questions about 50/60p output do not occur.

The other item is again, max bitrate. What % understand how to set this and what % setup it up wrong. There is no documentation or guidelines from FxHome about any of the encode options.

The level encoder setting  is offered by Hitfilm. Others which might be of use are not. Curious.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited October 2016

I tested it and I never saw this before:

That's a very good addition if it's new. I think that just the Level: should have the indicator though. I knew what was wrong, but I thought there were a lot more issues then there actually were.

All of those indicators are telling me the same thing.

• JMcAllister
    JMcAllister Website User Posts: 592 Enthusiast

@AxelWilkinson @NormanPCN

how about this: put the level controls under some kind of "Advanced options" button.

That way it's still there for those that want it, but for those who have no clue what it does it is set automatically based on more intuitive factors like resolution and frame rate.

• alexhancock123
    alexhancock123 Website User Posts: 1

i upped the level and it still didnt fix the slo mo export ????

• NormanPCN

@alexhancock123 You are jumping into an old thread and you have given us no information on exactly what you have done. I can only speculate that you are exporting at a different framerate than your timeline. Always export at the same framerate as your timeline, which is the default.

• DEV039lonRoad
    DEV039lonRoad Website User Posts: 1
    edited June 2017

Hi All even i am facing the same issue, And after reading the comment i have changed the level to 4.2 also with 1920*1080 60fps, and kept the target bitrate to 14.652 mbps and max bitrate to 20.00 mbps, Still the vedio is exporting in slow motion but audio is ok, hence its not syncing? Please help me!

• NormanPCN

@DEV039IonRoad You are probably exporting at a different framerate than your timeline frame rate. They should be the same.

• IRIS8
    IRIS8 Website User Posts: 1
    edited December 2018

I know I'm really really late but I now have the same problem with a 3 minute video exporting in slow-motion making it 9 mins. This is when exporting all contents. When I try to use in/out area exporting it is 20 secs long??? I am really confused and don't want to have to redo the video or something like that. I have tried all the things said here and many other places.

I would appreciate any responses. ( I am on the newest version of Hitfilm Express ) Also also is the preview system in slow motion normally  ?

Edit: OK, I'm really dumb. Preview is in slow-motion for a reason, the error was because of some really tight short buggy clips I got rid of, and for some reason the duration time was just weird showing  completely  different times to the actual duration of the video once it was exported. So all fixed now.

This discussion has been closed.