Masking a screen and creating a dashed circle

maumaumaumau Website User Posts: 23
Hi!
I'm totally new to Hitfilm, so I need your help.
I want to do 2 things:
1. Creating a screen like in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzkl0aoLWDU&list=PLC5B9D867CB9BC291&index=32
It's not about the 3D or anything, just the screen with the shining outline and the fact, that the video that is displayed inside the screen is being "cut off" by the outline.
2. Is there an easy way to create dashed circles? (1:25 Min)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzwLoB5xR8k

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,241 Staff
    Hey maumau, welcome to the community!  For the first question, you could create a black plane to create the frame around the edge of the video.  Create a black plane, then add a mask that defines the shape you want for your frame, then invert the mask.  Keep this layer above your footage, and you will have a black frame which defines the edges of your footage.  To create a glowing edge to it, I would make a second plane, white this time, then copy the mask you just drew and paste it onto the white plane.  Undo the invert option on this one, and set the Expansion for the mask to 10.  Duplicate the mask, so that you now have two masks on the White plane.  On the second copy, set the Expansion back to 0, and set the Blend mode to Subtract.  Now, add a Neon Glow effect to the white plane, and you can adjust the appearance of the glowing edge to suit your taste.  You can adjust the Expansion of the first mask to control the thickness of the glowing line.
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    To make dashed circles, start with a white plane and use the grid effect to create black vertical stripes on the plane (or, if you want manual control, just mask out some stripes). The use the polar warp on that plane and play around with the radius settings until you get a circle you think looks good.
  • maumaumaumau Website User Posts: 23
    edited August 2013
    @ Axel Wilkinson:
    Thanks!
    But there's still one problem:
    I want the black plane and the video to be cut off at the edge of the frame.
    You can see it in the beginning of the video.
    I want the screen to show the video inside, and everything outside of the screen should be cut off, so that you can see the background.
    Look at my image in the attachment.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,249 Ambassador
    @Robin. Wouldn't doing a polar warp on vertical stripes yield radial lines, not a perimeter?
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,249 Ambassador
    Maumau, you should be able to copy the mask of the appropriate "screen border" layer and paste that into your "fill video" layer. Then your fill will conform to the shape of the border. If you have a background behind the "screen" you might want to convert your screen borders and video fills to a composite shot. Then drop your background into a second composite shot and embed your first composite. (drop composite shot 1 "Video screen" onto composite shot 2 "background" as a layer).
    @Robin:
    Thanks! That's almost it.
    But now, eventhough I edited it in 2D, the circle is "lying" on the ground.
    @Triem23:
    I'm gonna try that, thanks.
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    @Robin. Wouldn't doing a polar warp on vertical stripes yield radial lines, not a perimeter?

Well yes,that's what's creates the dashes. The circle is being created by the polar warp (changing the radius settings so you don't end up with a solid ball but a circle), and the radial lines interrupt the otherwise solid circle, so you get a dashed circle :)

@Robin:
    Thanks! That's almost it.
    But now, eventhough I edited it in 2D, the circle is "lying" on the ground.

Whoops, that was not supposed to happen. Looks like the plane got out of it's original aspect ratio, have a look at the Scale in the transform controls of the plane, and make sure both values are set to 100%.

Also my thought for creating the dashed circle involved either just making a.png file in Photoshop or GIMP, or, using a particle sim--depending how I want the shot to look. The grid/polar is easier than the particle sim, however. And the grid/polar means you don't have to involve another program.
    @ Robin:
    I really scaled it, don't know why. Put it back to 100% and it works perfectly!
    @Triem23:
    I just deleted the black plane, and put the mask directly on the video (Why didn't I do that before?! Keep it simple!).
    So I got, the frame, the video and the background. Done!
    Looks so awesome! ^^
    Thank you all guys!
    That's such a great way to start with a new program. :)
    Btw: Is there a way to toggle a grid in the preview window (e.g for masking)?
    For now, I simply used the grid effect on a plane.