Glow-in Text Animation?

ESVEEKAYESVEEKAY Website User Posts: 14
edited September 2016 in Post-production techniques

Hello,

I'm considering transitioning from Powerdirector to HitFilm and I've been lucky enough to fiddle around with a Pro version for a bit but have some things that I'm struggling with that I'd like to ask here before I go ahead.

I've been trying to get a certain effect for a title card shot that I just can't seem to nail. I have been messing around with BCC Extruded Text and am trying to create a glow effect that fades-in the title/text.

Like so (skip to 1:45):

I can't seem to find a way to create this effect, I tried playing with the opacity but that seems to fade out any Glow FX I'm using as well. I need the glow to fade-in first and then the text *behind* the glow, then the glow fades and the text appears (like the video).

Is this possible to do in HitFilm?

Cheers.

Comments

• ESVEEKAYESVEEKAY Website User Posts: 14

I can't seem to edit my post but I linked a video with a time code that somehow didn't get picked up by the forum.

For the video skip to 1:45 for the specific example.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,278 Ambassador

Time code please. The opening logo flies in, not glows, and I am not sitting through or searching a 24 minute video to find what you want to copy :) 

edited September 2016

Added the time code, Triem23!

I think the effect I want to use is "Gleam" which seems to suit best for what I'm trying to create.

I guess I could just start with the opacity at zero with gleam at maximum value, then bring up the opacity to max and then lower the gleam value back to zero. But then the gleam as a whole would just fade-in and you're not really getting a glow-in effect as it were.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

Might something like this be close enough?

Project file available here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/v07n7a4p6r0xap3/GlowFadeIn.hfp

That seems pretty close! Is that Neon Glow? I've been trying to do something similar with Gleam which is more to my liking (the original effect was something I was never fully satisfaction with anyway).

The trickiest part is for the glow to appear *first* and then the text. Your video begins with the glow already present but how can you make it so the glow appears before the text does? I'm using it together with Boris Extruded Text btw.

edited September 2016

@ESVEEKAY download the project file from the link and have a look.. ;)

Nothing fancy, just invert the alpha mask, then use the Matte Cleaner to erode the mask, then invert it back. It might not even work with anything else but white text TBH - I didn't check - as the last Invert on the text might be a cheat . It's possible you'd have to fade in your logo/other text over/under it to blend them and chuck in a Gleam or two (needs an Addon for Express if anyone else wanted to try that. This doesn't), if it doesn't, but the principle is there to muck about with. As with most things in Hitfilm: experimentation can produce weird, and often wonderful, results.

And the fade it just controlled by a couple of keyframes; so you can go up/down, in/out, shake it all about as you like. :)

Edit: Thinking about it further... you might also be able to do something similar with a keyframed Blur and massively increasing the Brightness and Contrast. Lots of ways to skin that cat. :D

Hmmm, thanks for the help!

edited September 2016
  • FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

Here is my shot at this using the Glow and Blur Effects. This was done in HF4 Express (I could have obviously done it in Pro also).  It comes in over 3 seconds, which was my guess for the timing of the title above...