Fade ins/outs?

How do i apply a fade in and a fade out to parts of my audio? 

Comments

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

For a fade at the beginning and/or end you can use the audio fade audio transition.

To control audio through the length of a timeline clip you can use the volume bar. Add keyframes to the bar and adjust up/down as necessary.

http://hitfilm.com/reference-manuals/hitfilm-4-express#adjusting_volume_and_opacity.htm

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

If you want them to overlap. i.e. one fades out as another fades in, then you'll need to stagger the audio on different tracks and stretch them so they overlap. Line up the fade in and out transitions to be the same length as the amount they overlap by.

Hitfilm 4 will do audio fade transitions. Just lay the fade transition across the adjacent audio clips/events.

edited September 2016

@NormanPCN it only does fade down to silence, then back up, not a crossfade. So to do a cross fade you need to unlink one or both of the audio tracks from the video, move one to another track, then stretch one or both of them across the video transition point.

If you unlink both you can do a normal crossfade across the middle, if you do only one you'll get an L or a J fade, depending on which one you unlinked and stretched over the video cut/transition point.

Hitfilm supplies the wood and metal, but you have to make the nails and hammer yourself. ;)

• CervierCervier Website User Posts: 156 Just Starting Out

@Palacono Maybe I didn't understand what you were explaining? It seems to me you don't need to unlink the audio, as long as you're ok with having the videos on different tracks, as well as of the same length as their audio part. Like this:

Ok, I re-read your post and I think I got your point: you were talking of when you want to leave the video parts where they are. Then you have to stretch the audio tracks, in which case you do have to unlink them, or have them as separate "items" (i.e. not the audio recodred in the clip).

Ok, ok, got it ;)

@Cervier Yes, that's right; and thanks for explaining it better than I apparently did. :)

edited September 2016

@Palacono ha ha :) thanks for thanking me, but I don't believe I explained it better than what you did. Really, I would say that my post was about very basic cross-fade, the first idea that would come to mind (esp. to a beginner such as me). With more details: I didn't change the in- and out-points of the clips I put on the timeline, and to move back the audio of clip 2, I moved its video along.

Then comes your explanation, which says what to do in a "normal" editing situation: you'll want to bring into use audio that was left out of the timeline, i.e. after the out-point of clip 1 or before the in-point of clip 2. Which means you have to unlink them before you can, on the timeline, "drag" (ripple) the ends of the audio.

BTW, I didn't re-write all this because your post wasn't clear, but because doing so helps me "lock in" the explanation, as simple as it is. Not that I'm old (I've been young for decades...) but my brains works (slowly) that way ;)

So, as a matter of fact, your explanation was the comprehensive one --I just had read too fast.

edited September 2016

Yep, just like that.

OK, I'll type more slowly next time so it's easier to read... :D

edited September 2016

@Palacono "it only does fade down to silence, then back up, not a crossfade"

Well, that is useful. Yes, that is sarcasm.

It is the Hitfilm NLE where things...I should stop.

@NormanPCN Maybe HF5 will have lots of new features and functionality improvements. :)

@Palacono I guess to be fair, Hitfilm does call the audio transition fade and not crossfade. Singular fades are common. In or Out. Audio cross fades are probably not so common. 

My brain was thinking the audio transition would have symmetry with the video transition. The video fade we get singular fades when applied to a single edge and a cross when placed across adjacent edges. One transition effect and two useful results. The audio does not have the same simplicity and utility as the video. A bit near sighted.

This discussion has been closed.