Z-Order of 3D objects and Planes?

MajahrMajahr Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 556 Enthusiast
Hi,
I've played around the 3D capatibilties of HitFilm2 (had no time before ;-) and run into a problem:
I've imported a iPhone5 model (from VideoCopilot.net) and set it up fine except the screen material, cause I had to replace it by myown. Then, I've placed a 3D plane to match the iPhone's screen. A 3d point should act as the position/rotation of both objects, so they are parented with it, but:
As soon as I rotate the phone, the plane will be always visible, so it seems, the 3D object and the plane has their own 3D space in HitFilm...?! Anyway to solve my problem?
Thanks a lot,
Marc

Comments

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Yes, this issue has been talked about before on the forums... 3D models have their own 3D space, they are essentially working like 2D Layers. To accuratley composite a plane with them, either import a 3D model of a plane in HitFilm and put it into the same 3D model layer on the timeline, or, for simple cases it works to make two copies of either the plane or the model, sandwiching the other one and animate them on and of to make it seem like just two objects with correct Z position relative to each other.
  • MajahrMajahr Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 556 Enthusiast
    Hmmm...that's a very big disadvantage  :blush: Can I texture an imported plane outside the import dialog?
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Yes, every 3D model can be re-textured at any time by clicking the cog next to it in the Media panel to open it's properties window. You can change every setting you also have in the import dialogue there, except for the animation groups.