Opening door to a new scene

Hey guys I'm kinda new at this but I am looking for some concrete steps on how make a video of opening a door show different contents behind the door. Like a transition into a new scenery.

Any tips? 

Comments

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador

Plenty of options for doing this.  The simplest that comes to mind is just shoot an actual door opening, with a lit green screen on the other side.  Then key in your footage inside the green screen.   Do a couple of versions with the camera static (no zoom) and another version zooming into the green to fill the frame as the door is opening.  Just depends on the effect you are going for.

Another possibility would be to grab a picture of a door.  Import that.  Crop the image to match the edges of the door and then move the pivot point to where the hinges would be.  Then the door image will swing correctly.  From there you may have to build up some masks to represent wall elements around the CG door.   In this case you wouldn't need the green screen.  Just put your footage under (behind) the whole effect.

A third option is to create a 3D sequence in Blender, Lightwave, etc.  In that case you will want to write out an image sequence with alpha channel leaving black behind the door.   As long as the only elements in the scene are the door and walls, then the alpha will cut a hole for your composite because you place nothing behind the door.

Maybe that will get you started.  If you have an example to show of what you are trying to achieve that would help, too.

• SegendaryClipsSegendaryClips Website User Posts: 20

Alright I'm trying to merge these scenes. Note that I haven't decided which of the last two scenes I want to hide behind the door. Also note this is the very raw footage, I'm well aware of all the effects I will need to make it prettier.

I'm just not sure how to make the transition from two moving clips overlapping each other if you will

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador

Yeah, that's going to be pretty tricky.  You would have to draw a mask for the area that defines the shape of the reveal behind the door.  Then turn on Path in Transform for the mask and step through frame by frame to key frame the points of the mask to follow the shape reveal.

Your exterior footage would be the layer underneath the door layer.  Depending on how you draw the mask you may have to click the Invert  checkbox under the Mask properties for the reveal to go the right way.

You also have some warping of the door edges and door frame that changes curvature in the shot.  Making it even more difficult to track.

Very time consuming and not entirely accurate, but doable.  But you might consider re-shooting the door open with a locked down camera.  That would make the task much easier and more controllable.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast
    edited September 2016

I'd cheat. :)

You could create masks for the first few frames of the door opening up to about the 4/5 second mark, with the outside footage behind it massively amped up with a glow/brightness that bleeds through the hole (by having the mask grow and with a large feather to the edge) and enlarges quickly to fill the whole screen for a few frames, until it is fully white. Then remove the door footage, continue with the outside shot with the glow still high, then fade it quickly down to normal for the rest of the outside shot. From start of opening door to back to normal: 1 second or less.

The effect looks like the brightness change from inside to outside causes your eyes (and the camera) to be blinded by the light change until you are through the door, when it adjusts back down to normal and you carry on. Which is pretty much what does happen when you go from a dull inside to a very bright outside shot.

edited September 2016

In the interest of learning, I downloaded your footage.  First had to convert to constant frame rate with HandBrake.

Created a new composite shot and dragged on the footage.  Then split it into 3 parts.  The door before it opens, the door and a mask, then 3rd the exterior footage.

On the second part I drew out a mask to reveal the exterior footage on the 3rd layer.  Then did the path game with the mask and dragged points every few frames to match the door opening.

http://lcprod.com/hf/door-open/door-track-1.png

http://lcprod.com/hf/door-open/door-track-2.png

In fact just download the elements below and and look at the HF file to see how this was done.  It's not pretty but you will get the idea of how to do this kind of effect.  Palacono's idea is probably be the best for this situation.

http://lcprod.com/hf/door-open/door-covverted.mp4

http://lcprod.com/hf/door-open/dorr-reveal-003.hfp

(as you can see spelling is optional)

Also to be able to edit points make sure you have the Mask layer selected and also the FreeHand mask tool is selected in the viewer window.

edited September 2016

@Stargazer54 @SegendaryClips and in the interests of putting my money where my mouth is and seeing if what I had envisaged in my head would actually work: here's the result, using the clip that Stargazer converted. Very rough and ready, but as a proof of concept, does the job. :)

First of all: wow many thanks to helping this beginner out!
    The glow cheat isn't really what I am looking for. The tone as you might have guessed is more sporty rather than flashy. I can try something similar but at least not THAT bright. I will try it with black instead. 

I'll definitly be hitting the tutorials for keyframing and masking again. It's still pretty tough learning everything.

The link for the files sends me to a page full of script. I doubt that's supposed to happen?

Also what is this Handbrake you speak of? Is it freeware? I rather just stick to using 1 software to be honest but if it's like audacity but for video I guess it couldn't hurt. Especially because my Hitfilm is rather laggy :/

edited September 2016

@SegendaryClips although black is perfectly valid for between scenes and is used regularly, it isn't going to work to 'fool' people that you actually went though the door. It tends to be used as 'shorthand' for...time has passed, or location has changed, take a breath...and....onwards. :) Also: example was very rough and ready; could be done in half a dozen frames or less, if you wanted.

But just seeing alternatives helps get the idea flowing. ;) If you're seeing a script when you click that link: that's just Dropbox trying to be helpful and trying to display it to you. Just download the file directly instead.

Little update, so far so good. I wanted to stabilize the shot using the double point tracking but I think too much is moving in and out of the screen to have this become accurate and subtle. I will try and get a more stabile shot next time.

Thanks so far for all the help and I'll make sure to post another update when done.

edited September 2016

@SegendaryClips Right click on the file and select "Save As".  Do the same for the video file. 

Chances are the downloaded video file won't be in the same location so all you have to do is go into the media list, right click on the video file, choose "Relink" from the popup list and point to the file's location on your hard drive.

Palacono has the best approach, but here's what the tracking mask would look like for comparison.

Again, I'm not suggesting that you use this method for your project but use this a way to learn how to manipulate masks.

• CervierCervier Website User Posts: 156 Just Starting Out

@SegendaryClips Trying to work on garbage is always time, energy and morale consuming. Unless your using THAT clip of an opening door is a matter of life and death, I suggest you do without! ;)

If you do want to use that idea, I strongly suggest you reshoot it, using a tripod, or staying as still as you can while an assistant opens the door for you. Then following Stargazer54's advice about masks will be easy. I believe his first advice of setting a green screen behind the door was even better. A friend standing on a stool and holding a bright-colored sheet as flat as possible would probably do the job --and if it doesn't, you can always fall back on hand-drawn masks :)

One last thing you could do, if you don't mind the door obviously looking like a 3D object, is type "green screen door" in YoutTube and see if there wouldn't be something you like.

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,927 Enthusiast
    edited September 2016

While I respect your commitment in trying to solve this, I do think that this is overall poorly planned.

I would record me opening the door again, even a different door, and I would open the door much harder/faster. 

I would also get rid of that fish eye, but if you can manage, then by all means go for it!

I would also try to stabilize the clip to make masking a bit easier, as you can see from Stargazer54's example, it's very obvious, and the masking job isn't bad either, less movement is better for VFX, especially if you're a beginner!

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Exported to image sequence, duplicate frames and fisheye removed. Stabilized with Mercalli. The mask still needs a lot of work. Removing the door handle would actually go a long way because then mask drift wouldn't be quit as noticeable.

All in all I'd still reshoot if at all possible

Good show! @Alladin4d Nicely done.

Honestly though, you have to give @SegendaryClips a break here.  It was an honest question about how to accomplish the effect desired.  I though @Palacono had the quickest and most effective solution given the footage at hand.

I certainly learned a thing or two myself.  I hope this was beneficial.  Some good advice from the group.  Another reason this is a great forum!

edited October 2016

So I did a reshoot of the door transition and I made my entire promotional video. I think it looks pretty good for a beginner but I wanted to add some 3d Text but it turns out I need mocha? I'll ask for help on that one in a different thread. For now I'd like your opinion on the entire clip.

The door transition you guys taught me is at 0:37.

I chose a still to really set the castle like scenery.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador

Much better. Now it works.

For locking text in the scene you don't ALWAYS need mocha. If you circle around something, yes, but for fencing, where you're basically either moving side to side on a line or straight in and out, often a 2D point track is good enough. Perhaps a two point track of a background element.

Remember you can parent 3D text to a 2D position track. By moving the 3D text closer or farther from the camera you can get parallax movement. 

edited October 2016

@SegendaryClips Good job!

If your mask is off just a slight you could increase the Feather Strength control a bit, found under Shape for the mask.

• LouplynxLouplynx Website User Posts: 3

It looks a lot better than what I was expecting after seeing your first clip, well done!The editing goes well with the music and the music is well chosen. The fact a few doors are opened in the first part of the video is a nice set-up for the "trick" one --that also looks way better than your first try.

Very nice. And I liked the title too :)

Yeah I love teasing with cryptic puns. 

You know what I don't feel like making a new thread. I'll just ask here. As all of you have seen my video.
    Right at the very first scene I want the title to appear in 3d letters on the back wall. Then I looked at the tutorial of where Axel uses the light flares on the car and stabilizes the shot. But I see now it's very hard for me to stabilize shots. What are some great tips to stabilize them into making them near still. I will invest in a move-able tripod and better camera along the way but first I want to learn the software better.
    Take a look at this first scene:

Even though I stabilized it's still shaky. Now I don't mind the shakyness per se but I don't like that the letters aren't 'attached' to the wall

edited October 2016

It looks like you only used a single point to stabilise it. If you  use two points you can also tick the 'Rotation' box to keep it level. Don't tick the 'Scale' box or it will remove the zoom effect.

If it ends up stable, but at a slight angle, create a New Point, Parent it to that, then rotate the New Point to level it. In that order.

If it reveals holes at the sides where it has stabilised, also use the New Point to scale it up to in and possibly recentre it to hide that. Don't adjust the video itself, or it's easy to get confused and move one of the tracked points for a single frame; then it jerks about. Let the New Point be the thing that controls the video.

Best of luck. :)

edited October 2016

No I used x2 double point. Two for stabilizing and two for the letters. I tried merging them but then the effect is even worse (using only two points for both). I guess I'm asking is does it matter where you place your points / tags / tracemarks?

edited October 2016

If the image is stable you don't need more for the letters because you can just place them on the image.

Yes, it matters and you have very good tracking candidates: the corners of the darker tiles. Choose one on the left, one on the right, or one top, one bottom. The further apart they are the more accurately Hitfilm can calculate the angle changes between them.

Final product

Let me know your thoughts for improvement

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador

No notes from me here. The door works nicely, and you did a good job getting the 3D text in the scene. Nice match on text to door. You improved your skills a lot in this video. Good work! 

• CervierCervier Website User Posts: 156 Just Starting Out

Ha ha :) Lovely! It's fun, well paced... I like how you matched the music to the "beat" of the video (esp. at 0:17, but afterwards as well). As Triem23 wrote, everything works well.