MOV Files not importing

XsixsmithX
XsixsmithX Website User Posts: 2
edited September 2016 in HitFilm

Hi Guys,

I have videos I want to edit that I shot on my iPhone 6 but even though I have QuickTime downloaded hit film 4 and 3 express doesn't read them. Is there anyway I can resolve this without having to convert them to MP4?

Cheers

Comments

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

First thing - Did you reboot after installing QuickTime?

Second thing - An iPhone records with a variable frame rate which is ok for playback but it's a nightmare for editing in pretty much any NLE. The bad news is you're going to want run your clips through HandBrake anyway to fix that problem. Try using the following settings:

QUALITY
    Constant Quality: 17 RF

FRAMERATE (FPS): Set this to a number that's close to your framerate and matches a standard frame rate. If your reported frame rate is 28.93 set it to 29.97. If it's 24.73 set it to 24 or 25 for PAL  etc etc.

Constant Framerate: Enabled

OPTIMISE VIDEO
    Fast Decode: enabled
    H.264 Profile: High
    H.264 Level: Auto
    Extra Options: keyint=15:min-keyint=1:bframes=0

This video covers using HandBrake too

• XsixsmithX
    XsixsmithX Website User Posts: 2

Ahhh I'd not rebooted after completely slipped my mind. Thank you for the information I'll have a play around with that today.

• JeffAppel
    JeffAppel Website User Posts: 7

I have a PC and a designer has done some animation for me in the .mov format.  I keep trying to add the file (media) and it just doesn't load then freezes and crashes., over and over. I've restarted the computer, tried to change the frame rate a few times, but I can't figure out what else I need to do.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,798 Ambassador

@JeffAppel we'll assume you have Quicktime installed. If not, install Quicktime, reboot your computer, and try again.

Now, an MOV file is a container that can contain a variety of codecs. A codec is what defines the actual compression scheme. We'll need to know the codec.

Media info is a free program that can provide a full report of your file for analysis. It can be found here.

https://mediaarea.net/en/Medianfo

Uploading the MediaInfo report will give the info needed to work on your problem. 

• JeffAppel

The only with the term codec on it was a link that took me here for video:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL837?locale=en_US

There was also one for audio.  Is this what you need?

• JeffAppel

I tried to take a picture to upload, but I don't know how to use this interface.

• Cervier
    Cervier Website User Posts: 156 Just Starting Out

@JeffAppel

"I tried to take a picture to upload, but I don't know how to use this interface."

Try uploading it to a picture hosting website that will give you a link. Click here on the "insert image" button and paste the link there.

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,422 Enthusiast
    edited September 2016

@Cervier You can just drag the link to a photosite directly into your post. The Insert Image button is redundant.

• Cervier

@Palacono Thanks :)

BTW, is there a "how to" post somewhere about how to do such non-obvious stuff? I searched on the forum but didn't find it...

• Palacono

Not that I've seen. It is certainly...unique.

I was doing the name tagging wrong for ages because they didn't work all the time and the only reliable way was to cut'n'paste link properties from a poster's name, but it did mean you could do thing like this: @Not_Cervier (which should have tagged you if it still works) until Triem said just the @ should work and it also seems to have got more reliable since then, so: patched, fixed?

• Cervier
    edited September 2016

@JeffAppel

1st method: as I wrote, clic on the "insert image" (next to the smiley one) when you're typing your message and type/paste the URL ("https://goo.gl/photos/Ac7ABzQjrm3ySvHi6") in the "source" field.

2 method: or, as @Palacono suggests (and I'm going to try that now :) ) on a separate window, display the web page your picture is on  and drag-and-drop your image onto your message and you should get.... this:

• Yeremyah
    Yeremyah Website User Posts: 995 Enthusiast
  • JeffAppel
  • JeffAppel

Triem23 Does that pic help?

• Aladdin4d

@JeffAppel Just a quick note on using MediaInfo - Once you have it up you can go to View and select Text. This is a more in depth report and you can highlight the text and copy and paste into a post instead of having to take a pic and upload it somewhere.

For your real problem - The codec your file is using is ProRes 4444 with uncompressed PCM audio. I just tried a clip encoded the same way and it worked in both Express and Pro so does your clip play in QuickTime itself? If it doesn't then the file is probably corrupt or there's a problem with your QuickTime installation. If it does play in QuickTime but not in HitFilm then it's probably time to open a support ticket.

https://hitfilm.com/questions/submit

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,798 Ambassador
    edited September 2016

@JeffAppel yes, the pic helps. First, it's variable frame rate. This means you'll have to convert it to a constant frame rate. No NLE likes VFR footage.

Secondly, it's ProRes. If you're PC you might not be able to read ProRes as that's a licensed codec. I don't think Hitfilm for Windows can read it ( @AxelWilkinson can you confirm?)

@Aladdin4d this time I promise to bookmark the link--current DNxHD version, please?

Jeff you're going to need to convert the footage, and FxHome recommends DNxHD. That's a free Avid codec and that link will appear in a future post.

MPEG STREAMCLIP www.squared5.com is free software that should be able to do the conversion for you. You'll want to output MOV file with a DNxHD codec. 

YouTube has plenty of Mpeg Streamclip tutorials to talk you through the process. 

I suspected ProRes from your first post. The variable frame rate was a surprise. 

• Aladdin4d

@Triem23 ProRes should work fine as long as QuickTime is installed and being ProRes it should have a constant frame rate. 

• Triem23
    edited September 2016

@Aladdin4d gah. I misread tge screenshot. It was variable bit rate, not frame rate. @JeffAppel sorry. Bad advice. I am fighting a stomach bug today and should refrain from tech advice until I'm not stoned on medication (not to mention my intestines exploding in both directions.)

Aladdin, any other suggestions besides asking Jeff to list his specs--CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and storage--if  GPU drivers are current, Antivirus is running and if it's a Dell?

Hitfilm has problems with Adele--especially, "Rolling in the Deep." See? Meds! That's a horrible joke. 

• Cervier
    edited September 2016

@Triem23

"Secondly, it's ProRes. If you're PC you might not be able to read ProRes as that's a licensed codec. I don't think Hitfilm for Windows can read it"

FYI, I'm on PC (W10) and just tried encoding a file in ProRes using Shotcut. I exported in "Intermediate/ProRes" and "Intermediate/ProRes Kostya" and was able to read the files both with VLC and HF4E.

About DNxHD codecs: thanks to @Aladdin4d who posted the link in another thread.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-QuickTime-Codecs-LE

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,249 Staff

Just to confirm, as long as Quicktime is installed, ProRes can be read on a PC without problems, by HitFilm or any other software that supports Quicktime.

• Palacono

@AxelWilkinson This one's a bit weird though. The colours are all wrong and Hitfilm hates playing it.

Note: It's not my file, it's one someone made available on an AE Tutorial.

No problem with anything else playing it, including ye olde Microsoft Movie Maker 2012.

Here's where you can download the file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B75qtYrT36ffTE9QbEh3ZElCQ3M/view  Click on the download link in the top right corner.

Here's what Hitfilm and MMM think of it:

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,043 Enthusiast

@Palacono That looks and plays fine here. HF4 Pro.

The Quicktime AVC decoder performance is not so good compared to the Hitfilm native decoder. Try renaming a copy of the file to an MP4 file extension and try that. For color an performance.

Hitfilm does perform a level expansion from studio to full/computer on import from AVC files. Quicktime or MP4. That should not cause the issue your video demonstrates. The levels adjust just ends up really being just a mild contrast boost.

• Cervier
    edited September 2016

@Palacono

Here too on HF4E, it looks perfectly fine. A *little* bit choppy on the first read, then almost not anymore (while it does play fluidly on Windows' viewer).

• Palacono
    edited September 2016

@NormanPCN @Cervier Well, that's very interesting. Renaming it to .MP4 fixed it and it whizzed along and had the corrected colours in Hitfilm as well.

I rarely bother with .MOV files, but I've never had it do that before. I thought I had the latest Quicktime drivers installed too - well...they were about a year ago.

Thanks both for checking it out and for the solution. :)

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,043 Enthusiast
    edited September 2016

@Palacono  I once did a writeup on the Quicktime vs Hitfilm(aka Mainconcept) AVC decoder perf. Also because of this I suggested they bypass Quicktime for specific contents of a MOV file. This is what Sony Vegas, Movie Studio do and I'll bet some others as well.

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/40059/timeline-playback-performance-with-mov-dslrs-phones-etc

AVC gets a bad rap for using in editing. Some percentage of that comes from substandard decoders. That is not just my view, but at least one codec developer contributing to the ffmpeg project as well.

This discussion has been closed.