Hitfilm 5 Pro

HarryMHarryM Website User Posts: 46

I have been using the hitfilm 4 pro demo for a while now and I have decided that it is pretty satisfying to my needs. However, I have seen lots of discussions on the hitfilm forum about which lists and what we want to see in hitfilm. Does this mean Hitfilm 5 Pro is being released soon? Please tell me if it is being released any time soon because I don't want to spend £280 now and then a new version be released. Also, if a new version if hitfilm is being released would I get a discount as I already have pro 4? And finally, all these talks about new features in the software is that for hitfilm 4 pro or 5 pro?

Comments

• TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out

This is a commonly asked questions, perhaps we should have a FAQ page here on the forum @Triem23

Sorry to OP, I am not employed by HF so I can't give any definative answers. In the Past HF3 Pro to HF4Pro did offer a discount so take that as you will, but again... no definitive answer.

• HarryMHarryM Website User Posts: 46

Well how often do FX Home tend to release a new version?

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,913 Enthusiast

HitFilm 5 shouldn't be that far away. The only confirmed feature is a bigger RAM preview, but we don't know anything else but that about it.

I like the surprises though, and I believe we get a new version roughly every year, if I'm not completely mistaken.

• MarcinMarcin Website User Posts: 132 Just Starting Out

as @JoshDaviesCEO wrote on November 2015:

"We will be updating annually from now on as in the vast majority that has been the feedback we've been given."

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/7560/will-hitfilm-have-annual-updates/p1

So I would say that HF5 is coming in a couple of months :)

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast
    edited September 2016

I can say with absolute certainty that HitFilm 5 will be released on  some unknown  future date. Thank you. There will be no more questions at this time. ;)

• MarcinMarcin Website User Posts: 132 Just Starting Out

Well, the quoted sentence was created on November 2015, around the release of HF4. So I prepare my piggy bank for November or December 2016.If it happens later- no harm for me :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

Smart money would bet on late November, early December, just in time for Xmas. However, Moderators are not Staff/FxHome employees, so that's me agreeing with the guess, not any kind of confirmation. 

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,053 Staff

We do indeed release on a yearly basis now (though not exactly to the day), so you can use that in your calculations :)

• rampartrampart Website User Posts: 5
    edited September 2016

HF 4 released last November... if that means anything.

I think  some HF4 users waiting for the upcoming release would appreciate to know within what time they can expect a free upgrade, or lower priced upgrade to HF 5. 

There are probably some pre-HF4 users who might upgrade to HF4 now, if they have information on what to expect it will cost to upgrade to HF 5.  I am one of those users.  It is just common sense to wait for pertinent information about pricing.

I have been a Sony Vegas Pro user for over 5 years.  Magix recently bought Sony software.  Magix has already sent to me email information on upgrading my SV 13 to SV 14.  Magix is not wasting anytime doing their best to maintain the Sony customer base.  I have been very pleased with Sony Vegas, so this does make for a more complicated choice.

I was thinking of going to HF pro, but I will not be interested to buy both SV and HF.  The current price for upgrading each is the same. 

It may be that HF could acquire a fair number of those Sony Vegas Pro users, if they made some decisions now.  This could benefit HF if SV users were targeted for specials or other perks.

My understanding is HF has become a complete NLE,  let me know if I am wrong. 

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

@rampart you can download Hitfilm 4 Express for Free and Hitfilm 4 Pro in demo mode, so why not find out for yourself? :)

• rampartrampart Website User Posts: 5
    edited September 2016

I quit doing demos and trial versions long ago.  

I have too much to do just working with the applications I use all the time.  Yes,  I will take on a new application after I commit to it.  Commitment in my case means buying it.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

@rampart Express isn't a trial or a demo; its 100% functional and may do all you need. If you want more, you can choose (or not) to buy one or several of the very reasonably priced addon packs. The Starter Pack is a bargain at about $10 (I see the price in £, so I'm guessing at the exchange rate).

Differences with Express are: no Particle system, 1080p maximum video export and no 3D model support.

Pro has full 3D model support, 4k video export, the Particle system and a few other exclusives. The Demo is also 100% functional, although you can't export more than 30 seconds of video to YouTube, but it'll allow you to explore any effects and functions that you didn't already try out in Express, and the GUI is identical in both.

Express is not limited in any way. YouTube, MP4, AVI, (MOV on Mac) and JPG, BMP or PNG image export all work fully.

• tacktack Website User Posts: 22
    edited September 2016

@rampart as an NLE, HitFilm is pretty frustrating to use.   I bought it because I was looking for an NLE, and did like the FX capabilities too, but for basic editing of the kind of simple stuff I do, I just found it much too aggravating.

"Basic stuff" in this context is just screencasts.  The frustration really comes from HitFilm's pedigree as a compositor, and its insistence that most anything useful must be done as a composite shot.  As tutorial screencasts often do quick zoom/pans on certain areas of the video, treating each one of these quick things as a separate composite shot very quickly gets unwieldy.  And forget trying to adjust the start/end times of that animation after-the-fact.  Also, the poor performance of even just a basic cross dissolve is perplexing.

So even though it pains me, I chose to fork out for Premiere to use as an NLE, because I decided I didn't hate myself enough to use the other options I'd tried.

HitFilm is so close -- closer than so many other non-Premiere options, including Resolve and Vegas.  I'm hoping that HF5 will bring some real improvements to its NLE functions and I'll be able to drop Premiere. 

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

@tack My sentiments exactly. It has been mentioned by FxHome staff, @JoshDaviesCEO I believe, that workflow improvements will be getting more priority in future updates. I hope that extendeds to the NLE. We should not need a comp unless we want to do layered type of effects. e.g. Just wanting to keyframe something is not a good reason to create a new comp. 

It depends on what Hitfilm wants to be. An AE type app or an general video creation tool. Editing and effects compositing, we got you covered. Just having an NLE does not mean someone would want to use it. Just having features does not make them useful. Workflow is key. You have to want to use it. [  unless you want to buy a new new monitor... after sticking your fist into the current one. ]

I too hope to see some movement in the NLE workflow in HF5. The way I look at it, every frame of a video, 100%, is using the NLE to organize and layout video and audio. Even effects laden videos will not be all composites. With this view the NLE is kinda important. Maybe not sexy, but important.

tack talks about Premiere. I come from the Vegas world. So I think it not about app A against Hitfilm, but NLE editing against Hitfilm NLE editing. I've not been shy about submitting feature suggestions from my point of view.

@NormanPCN

My 1gb GPU on a disk drive Mac edits variable frame rate .mp4 files flawlessly with 0 lag in Final Cut Pro. Live rendering of video effects is insane.

I bought HF since its VFX capabilities were much greater than Apple Motion 5 of FCP. However... their NLE is years behind a software that hasn't been 'active' in nearly 4 years.

By that I mean FCP hasn't been a project Apple has pursued in great depth in several years yet still outperforms as a fairly powerful NLE. Apple is much larger that HF as a company, I understand... but I want to see an effort given in the right direction considering their VFX is already fairly solid.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

@TriFlixFilms Um. FCPX has had 18 updates in the last 5 years, with the most recent in Feb, 2016. Seems active to me! 

@HarryM @rampart @tack Discussion of new features is largely theoretical. That said, the devs themselves create and maintain a Wishlist thread and send out an annual poll. There is a long list now, but FxHome is a small company--roughly 20 people--so, once admin, accounting, HR, PR, QA, Web, and the Photokey product line are taken into account chances are there are only three or four coders whose primary task is Hitfilm. Prioritization is difficult. Josh Davies has stated that current Hitfilm development is prioritizing workflow, so I speculate that the FX side is considered mature, and the NLE side is getting love. That said, both HF3 and HF4 had some very welcome improvements to the NLE. 

That said, as an NLE, Hitfilm is not equal to FCPX, Vegas, Avid or Premiere, IMO. Vegas remains my primary editor. But, I am doing more editing in Hitfilm--throwing together roughs of Hitfilm generated sequences before committing to my intermediate renders. The Hitfilm NLE does have the basic tools to be considered a full NLE, but lacks the bells and whistles that speed up workflow 

Hitfilm Express is still unbeatable. Hitfilm 4 Pro is, for me, a fantastic VFX program to do the complex work Vegas can't. 

With Hitfilm "decimal" upgrades are free (HF4 is currently on it's 9th iteration), but "integer" updates cost money (HF5). How much that will be depends on final price. HF3 was cheaper than HF2. HF4 came back to the HF2 price. But an upgrade is less than full price. Usually about 1/2 price. Less at introduction.

Hitfilm's biggest weakness is slow decode of video files. I assume this is because Hitfilm is Open GL based, instead of the custom code in Abobe and Vegas (FCPX and Avid don't count since they force you to conform your footage to preferred formats on import). Hitfilm's second weakness is export formats. 

The solution to decode speed depends on how much time and money is given to the coders to work on that issue. The solution to export formats is deciding if it's worth raising the price of Hitfilm by (a lot?) amount to pay for codec licensing.

Personally, Hitfilm has added 4 of my top 5 current wishlist features in it's last two versions, so if I get lucky, and they do it again with HF5, we'll get some great new features. 

The updates are minimal, the biggest update was the implimentation of 3d text which improved the rendering process of all other texts as well... other than that they have just worked on 'perfecting' codec, resolution, and raw performance. I use perfecting very loosely considering I havent seen a genuine performance increase with the software since I started using it proffesionally in 2011. Ive been using it regularly since 2008 though, and 2008-2011 did have some major feature implimentations from what I recall. @Triem23 I'm sure your very familiar with FCP, but I am fairly confident when I say Apple no longer takes it seriously in comparrison to its prior use. Essentially their demographic is vloggers/personal/family use and they have no desire to extend beyond it now. 

@TriFlixFilms I despise FCPX and only use it when forced to. My opinion of FCPX is it's used by Mac owners who won't/can't pay for Avid, thus missing out on the joy of Vegas (most of my Hitfilm NLE wishlist items are basically, ">function< Vegas does--IMHO--better). I have done a lot of event video (Believe or not, through  2016, no wedding or recital contract has hired for Blu-ray. Just DVD. Corporate and Parties want Blu-Ray or mp4. 60% of my paid output is SD.), and FCPs inability to combine footage of differing resolutions on a timeline makes FCP useless. It's less time to transfer the files and cut in Vegas than to conform, edit,post pan/crop, copy pan/crop to HD original footage, reconform and replace in FCP.

You're right, btw, about Apple not caring. Last year they sold more iPads than all MACs since 1984. The Mac is now basically an iPhone accessory. 

edited September 2016

The Hitfilm NLE does have the basic tools to be considered a full NLE, but lacks the bells and whistles that speed up workflow."

• Agree entirely with this statement

"FCPs inability to combine footage of differing resolutions on a timeline makes FCP useless."

• Only if you regularly use more than one camera, which typically vloggers/personal/family use doesnt involve. So it just reinforces what I am saying... FCP has the potential to be the best NLE, its procssing/workflow is rediculously good and very compatible, however they overlook simple things such as "inability to combine footage of differing resolutions on a timeline makes FCP useless." If HF could learn from their NLE processing/workflow HF would be without a doubt the best "All in one" video software.
    • FCP does have plugins that allow for 3D models to be used, but being a plugin-ins, its fairly laggy on my 1gb GPU and to upgrade from my mac valued at $1500 still, would cost an additonal $1500 just for hardware that is nearly 2 years out of date. @triem23

@TriFlixFilms I omitted the words "to me" in ".... FCP is useless..." 

The digression about SD output means I do mix SD and HD sources a lot. So that's an essential function for me. And, when I move to 4K, mixing 4k post crop with native 1080p footage will be common. 

Of COURSE you want HF to steal FCP functions, as I want them to steal from Vegas. We LIKE our preferred editors.

@NormanPCN Vegas 13's most annoying feature to me is "Expanded Edit." That's for people who think in A/B tracks who just should use two tracks and not glitch the elegance of automatic crossfades. 

Well its not just things FCP does, but all editor SHOULD do such as playback .mp4, variable frame rate, and transitions smoothly without the need of compositions or proxies. Something I'd like to see that even FCP doesnt do is a draw tool. For those of us that animate, that would be amazing! I love combining animation overlays with music videos.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@Triem23 +1 on Expanded Edit being incredibly annoying! It wouldn't be so bad if getting out of that mode didn't take forever. 

@TriFlixFilms I don't think you're going to see other NLE's handling variable frame rate anytime soon. You can either be frame accurate or not choke on a variable frame rate clip but never both at the same time. Realistically the only reason FCP does handle variable frame rate is to support iPad/iPhone video and it's pretty selective about what clips it decides handle. I've had variable frame rate material from other sources that it didn't work with and ended up going back to Windows to solve the problem. 

One area where FCP can really excel is asset management. Some of the things that can be pulled off working with the metadata can be amazing and incredibly useful. The downside is you always have to take that route in an all or nothing kind of way when it comes to asset management which may or may not be good thing depending on what else needs to be done. 

Good points! I actually forgot about how much i enjoy having a media library inside of FCP but I am sure HF is working on that though as it was highly requested :)

HF is still young and growing, I am impressed to say the least with how much they've gained in such a short period of time as an Indie company.

• JCL_FilmsJCL_Films Website User Posts: 156

I am definitely excited about Hitiflm 5. The new Hitfilm releases have become a highlight for me.

Like last year, please let the upgrade discount (if there is one) go through December.

• chibichibi Website User Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

Please let there be support for exr with embedded aovs.
    I would drop ae if this is implemented in hf5

• ESPicturesESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out

I got to talk to Josh Davies a bit at VidCon this year and got some hints on what's coming in HF5. I'm excited.

could you tell us?

@HarryM I also got the opportunity to speak with Josh at Vidcon, but, no, we can't say anything. What was said was in confidence. Also, what we were told was what they hoped to do, but maybe not everything discussed will make it into the next iteration of Hitfilm. 

Oh OK, I am just really excited though for Hitfilm 5 Pro which I presume will be released November to December this year? I have seen the whitelist that axel Wilkinson made about what features could be in the software and some of them really look great like frame interpolation. For the mean time I have been using the Hitfilm 4 pro demo and really like the things you can do with it.

• chibichibi Website User Posts: 257 Just Starting Out

Wooooot. So what's new for hf5?