Wire removal

HarryMHarryM Website User Posts: 46

Planning on filming a scene that involves wire work and has seen after effects wire removal effect. How can I do this in hitfilm'?

Comments

• TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out
    edited September 2016

Personally? I would duplicate the footage and offeset the top layer location by maybe 2-6 pixels (Offset perpendicular to the wire). Then start masking out the wire on the top layer and keyframe the masks path to stay ontop of the wire each frame of the shot. It will be tedious and is not the most proffesional way but is likely the fastest and a youtube viewer wouldnt notice it at all unless they were looking for it.

If you have Mocha/HF Pro you can motion track the wire and apply it to a mask so that you can sut out a VERY large portion of the keyframing and potentionally reduce the total time spent on this effect by 90%.

• HarryMHarryM Website User Posts: 46

I do have hitfilm 4 pro and I have done a little tester and it works really well. Thankyou#

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

There is also a Clone Stamp tool in HitFilm 4 Pro for this sort of thing, as an alternate approach.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

And Axel's old HF2U tutorial is still valid. 

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,923 Enthusiast

Would it be possible to add a healing brush tool such as in various different photo editors (PhotoShop being one of them), but instead have it analyze each frame for changes?

I feel like it's possible, but what's holding this back is that the video resolutions are still too low. Is this correct assumption?

On my 18 MP RAW files it works like a charm, even if the thing I have to remove is in a very "crowded" area.

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

@TriFlixFilms method would probably work fairly well - it's sort of what the BCC 8 Wire remove plugin does in SMS 12 -  although to make it less tedious than manually tracking the wires: you could track the ends of the wire(s), attach them to the ends of a Lightning line (or Lightsword line) to create white lines on a Black plane and Use Set Matte to create the cutout to the offset track beneath the original video track.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

I think Triflix suggestion of mocha for your roto is smarter (in the long run) than Palacono's idea of Lightsword or Lightning to do a quick line roto. Palacono's idea is brilliant for shots with slow camera movements, but if anything is moving fast enough for motion blur, you're back to wider roto areas, which leads back to mocha. Either method can define areas for the clone stamp tool.  Another option is to consider upgrading to Mocha Pro. Mocha has an automated remove tool that does a fantastic job and a lot more quickly than faffing around with masks and the clone tool. I have a short film, ready to upload as soon as I get one actor in for ADR where I removed an entire actor from a handheld shot (I forgot to shoot the cleanplate) which was surprisingly easy.