How to draw a line bewteen two tracked points?

I'm looking to do something like this sports analysis clip.

I have tracked points on a couple players, but I can't figure out how to get a particle emitter to "connect" them.

I'd also like to know if I could key/mask the line(or particles) so it only was drawn on shades of green. Something like the yellow first down line in American football.

Comments

• inScapeDigitalinScapeDigital Website User Posts: 715 Just Starting Out

Perhaps the Lightning & Electricity effect straightened out? You have the ability to set the Start and End points.

• hitfilm_userhitfilm_user Website User Posts: 7

Nice! It works well, thanks a bunch. Any ideas for the masking?

• inScapeDigitalinScapeDigital Website User Posts: 715 Just Starting Out

I'm not really sure how they do it professionally, the only technique I can think of is this:

• Footage layer with green keyed out (like chroma key)
    • Animation layer
    • Footage layer (to fill in empty spaces)
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,252 Ambassador

Side note. If you have the Lightsword effect that works as well as Lightning. 

@InScapeDigital FYI in pro football broadcasts those onscreen lines are generated with a dedicated hardware device that costs about a quarter-million bucks. Per line (Yes, that's half a million to do a line of scrimmage and a first down line). Real-time keys and overlays cost money. 

For keying the line in Hitfilm, yeah, at some point you'll need to roto. Inscape gives some good ideas, or you can roto some (subtract) masks on the line layer. 

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,241 Staff

This is how they do it professionally: 

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador

Wow @AxelWilkinson that is some really impressive stuff. Clever too, sampling the scene and then doing it all with a 1second delay on the feed, they must have some impressive kit.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,713 Ambassador

@AxelWilkinson Thanks for the video.  Great explanation.

Yes folks, back in the day we had "real time" graphics that you didn't have to render.   Anybody remember the Ampex ADO?  (ADO= Ampex Digital Optics)