The best way to have slow motion

AmbiroaAmbiroa Website User Posts: 180 Just Starting Out
What methods can be used to have slow motion in your video? What I did was select a clip, applied the Speed fx, and then set the Speed to 0.3 (1.0 is default). Resulted two things, the clips content was shortened because I didn't see the entire clip anymore, and the clip was jitterish both in preview as well as rendered.
I thought applying speed fx would only affect the speed of the entire clip, not the actual content. Hmmm not sure if I explained this well. Second try: suppose I have a clip that is 10 sec, with at the start you see a girl holding her hands down, and at the end holding her hands up. When applying Speed 0.5 I assume the total time length of the clip will become 20 sec. Instead, I don't see the second half of my 10 sec clip.
Any solutions or better methods to have slowmo?

Comments

• OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    This should help resolve some of the issues with regards to getting the entire clip to be in slow motion:
    http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/3275-slow-motion-troubles/?hl=%2Bslow+%2Bmotion#entry25611
    To summarize, create a composite shot equal to the total length of slow motion you want to do.
    If you have a 10 second clip at normal speed and want to do 0.5x speed then the clip will take up 2x the amount of time and therefore the composite clip needs to be 20 seconds long in order to see all 10 seconds worth of the original footage.
    As for why the result is jittery, what frame rate did you record in?  what was your shutter speed set to?  The higher frame rate accompanied with the appropriate shutter speed and enough light will result in better looking footage when slowed down.
    It's likely jittery because the frame rate was too low and the motion too quick.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,278 Ambassador
    As to why the result is jittery. When doing a slow motion in post your smoothest results will be 0.5 or 0.25. Hitfilm is trying to extrapolate data, and any slowdown that isn't "halves" ends up with an odd cadence. Unless you shoot at 30/60 fps for 24 fps output, in which case, use 0.8, 0.4, or 0.2
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,278 Ambassador
    Btw, the best tool for speed ramps is Twixtor, which only does one thing--speed and slow clips. But Twixtor costs almost as much as Hitfilm.
    Oh, you don't HAVE to make a composite shot for the slow-mo, you can apply the effect directly to a layer, but you will have to manually trim the end point of the clip after effecting. This is typical behavior in any NLE. Ok, I know directly applying the effect and trimming the end works for speeding up, but not certain on slowing down, so I could be wrong on the not needing a composite shot.
  • AmbiroaAmbiroa Website User Posts: 180 Just Starting Out
    This should help resolve some of the issues with regards to getting the entire clip to be in slow motion:
    http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/3275-slow-motion-troubles/?hl=%2Bslow+%2Bmotion#entry25611
    To summarize, create a composite shot equal to the total length of slow motion you want to do.
    If you have a 10 second clip at normal speed and want to do 0.5x speed then the clip will take up 2x the amount of time and therefore the composite clip needs to be 20 seconds long in order to see all 10 seconds worth of the original footage.
    As for why the result is jittery, what frame rate did you record in?  what was your shutter speed set to?  The higher frame rate accompanied with the appropriate shutter speed and enough light will result in better looking footage when slowed down.
    It's likely jittery because the frame rate was too low and the motion too quick.

Thanks OP. Bookmarked this for future reference. My attempt was without creating a comp, so I am very excited to try this solution.

As to why the result is jittery. When doing a slow motion in post your smoothest results will be 0.5 or 0.25. Hitfilm is trying to extrapolate data, and any slowdown that isn't "halves" ends up with an odd cadence. Unless you shoot at 30/60 fps for 24 fps output, in which case, use 0.8, 0.4, or 0.2

Ahhhhh jeeze, learning new theory here, thank you. Had no idea to take into account the halves thing. Will try this as well, both inside and without a comp.

edited August 2013
    Well, on more thought, I might not be 100% correct here, because that goes back to interlaced video. (Because at 30fps,but two interlaced fields per frame, 50% just used one field for one frame, the next field for the next frame, etc) with progressive video you might get a wider range of values that work, but you still want something that divides into - - frame rate-- with no remainder. So, with a 30 fps source, 0.3 would most likely jitter, but 0.333 might not... Because 0.333 is basically "ten frames per second" (basically using one frame for three frames) and 0.3 is "nine frames per second" and 9 doesn't divide cleanly into 30.
    Well, on more thought, I might not be 100% correct here, because that goes back to interlaced video. (Because at 30fps,but two interlaced fields per frame, 50% just used one field for one frame, the next field for the next frame, etc) with progressive video you might get a wider range of values that work, but you still want something that divides into - - frame rate-- with no remainder. So, with a 30 fps source, 0.3 would most likely jitter, but 0.333 might not... Because 0.333 is basically "ten frames per second" (basically using one frame for three frames) and 0.3 is "nine frames per second" and 9 doesn't divide cleanly into 30.

@-) :))  I'll manage  :D