Whats the highest DR Camera under $3000?

TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out

So... title says it all. Basically the Ursa Mini is $3000 and just seeing if there is anything cheaper that shoots just as high of DR. Leaning towards a BMMC currently which I believe was 12 stops of DR for $1000.

Let me know if you know haha :)

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

A Sony a7s II shooting sLog3 gives 12 to 12.5 stops of DR. The a7s shoots about 11 stops of DR. Otherwise, in your price range, yeah, I think the Blackmagic Gear takes it.

https://www.cinema5d.com/ultimate-sony-a7s-ii-vs-a7s-test-difference/

If you're looking at Blackmagic gear, well. The Pocket Cinema Camera is $995* **, but limited to 1080p and has a really crappy battery--you'll need backup batteries.

*All prices are MSRP--obviously shopping around might find a better price.

**Price varies depending on lens mount.

The Micro Cinema Camera is $995, also 1080p, and also eats batteries for lunch. Again, get a couple of spares.

The (original) Cinema Camera is $1995 for the 2.5k version and $2995 for the 4K.

The Ursa Mini is $2995 for the 4k and $4995 for the 4.6k. This, right now, is almost my current top-buy, except.... Lensrentals.com has this camera flagged as a bad call. It seems in the field the Mini is failing a lot.

Finally the Sony a7sii comes in right at the $3k mark. The original a7s is about $2k.

Any of these cameras gives a great image. YOu might want to look at lensrental.com reviews since a feature review is a reviewer who played with the camera for a couple of days and took some test footage. Lensrental reviews will be from people who took the camera out on a gig. As mentioned before, feature reviews loved the Ursa Mini, but Lensrentals recommends NOT USING the Ursa Mini because of failures in the field.

• TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out
    edited September 2016

Ahhhh I see... If I receive a raise (which is currently a big possibility) I'll pull the trigger on the BMMCC and make some custom parts to bring its functionality up. I think it had the 'power' to compete with some of the higher end cameras but I limited by the lack of viewfinder and mounting.

• $60 Metal Cheese Cage
    • $30 Custom 3.5" external HDMI monitor
    • $30 Pistol Grip (possibly $200 3-Axis gimbal)
    • $120 External Mic for top of cage
    • $10 USB Power Bank
    • $60 Ring light
    • $300 17-104mm F2 MACRO PARFOCAL Zoom Cine Camera Lens  Bolex Super 16
    • (I'm too cheap for a $500 metabones :'D)

This would be for the run and gun when vlogging but I think when placed on a tripod in a studio would offer great production value... I really just want an all in one.

WARNING RANT: The Prores codec and external mic would be a dream, the biggest road block to my creativity lately has been workflow... H.265 converting to prores and syncing the audio from the Zoom h5 in HF is an absolute NIGHTMARE! I have 0 motivation to use the Zoom but my lens was Defective on Arrival with the loud humming. I am tempted to just go back to using my phone for the time being but the whole reason I bought the camera was because the phone was dying randomly at various percentage and not coming back on until plugged in a charge. My new phone was suppose to come in and then Samsung recalled it (Note 7).

The funny thing is... my phone is Samsung, it breaks. I buy a Samsung camera, lens is DOA. I buy a new Samsung phone... DO (before) A. You think I'd learn.

RANT OVER... man do I need that raise, stress is getting to me. Thanks for the vent lol @Triem 23

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

The Ursa, Ursa Mini and BMPCC are all blacklisted by lensrentals.com because of reliability problems. None of the rental companies I deal with carry anything from Blackmagic Design. They're notoriously conservative when it comes to gear and with a rap like that they'll never carry anything from BMD

On a side note lensrentals.com is a great way to try out a camera before buying one.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

I will say with Blackmagic gear, when I worked with LVTV, KWST, University of La Verne and Industry Hills Expo Center, we had a lot of Blackmagic gear--and all of it had to be replaced every year or two. A shame, because I love the feature set at the price for BlackMagic gear, but, year, reliability seems to be an issue.

Bear in mind we weren't using cameras, but if switchers and freaking FORMAT CONVERTERS are failing all the time...

(Note the past-tense form. Sigh. Industry Hills terminated it's contract with the company I went through last year, and The University and both stations fired the person who was hiring me. The replacement isn't calling me--probably because he knows I went for the position he now has, and I'm better. Also, in the case of the University, it probably doesn't help that I chewed a new excretory orifice into the President's son on a shoot--but that idiot declined camera training, then pulled the 4-pin female XLR power plug from his camera and shoved a 3-pin male XLR into the same jack, requiring a $500 repair to the camera, removing one of our four cameras from the shoot, and making me 20 minutes late getting to my camera position because I was dealing with his idiocy. The precious little snowflake deserved the chewing, since on a pro set, this would have gotten the lil' shit fired and a bunch of quiet "no not hire this punk" calls made.)

edited September 2016

That's crazy! I hadn't heard anything bad about them in my research, all the reviews were 4.5/5 stars.. kind of disappointed now :(  

Alternatives for run and gun included the A6300 (massive overheating issues), GH4, G8, GH5 (Upon release very soon), a7r, a7rii, and XC15. 60fps and Dynamic range are pretty important to me so Log3, Raw, Proress without the need of external recorders is ivital.

Maybe I should be lazy and get the DJI OSMO lol. Either way, I always value your opinion and will wait until after the rumored GH5 announcement next week at the 2016 Photokina show @Aladdin4d

Thank you for the advice :)

edited September 2016

I'm glad we were able to help each other vent @Triem23... btw @name linking doesn't seem to be working.

UPDATE: well it worked there, but not in the comment above for Aladdin in the last sentence... hmmm.

@TriFlixFilms You just successfully tagged me! I wonder if i can tag myself @Triem23

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@Triem23 Since you mentioned switchers and format converters I'm throwing this out there for comparison purposes

BMD just announced a new format converter/switcher at IBC. It's the Teranex AV  with a list price of $1695.00. Like you mentioned it's a great feature set at that price point. 

A Barco Image Pro II can run you as much as $8000.00 (or more) and won't even do 4k!

Analog Way has a new VIO that does 4k and runs $9900.00.

All three of these serve the same purpose so the question that needs to be asked is how can BMD be so much cheaper?