Whats new on Soundtracks....or not

Comments

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

This almost could have been summed up as John Williams vs Everybody Else/

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,723 Ambassador

Wow!  That explains a lot.

But you can't mention Williams without nodding to  Ennio Morricone, Howard Shore, James Horner, Hans Zimmer, Henry Mancini, Alan Silvestri, Elmer Bernstein, Max Steiner, Jerry Goldsmith, John Barry, et. al.

In fact, I have often postulated that the film scores of the later 20th and early 21st century will be the  classical music of the future.  200 to 300 years from now,  music officianados will refer to the works of Williams or Morricone as "classical".

The video above almost suggests that we are seeing the end of original film scores.  A scary and sad thought.

• StephansBilderweltStephansBilderwelt Website User Posts: 523

Totally agree, I hope there will be still some great soundtracks in the future as it is such a important part of a movie. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,292 Ambassador

One can hope, but, oh, around 1999 or so soundtracks started moving away from strong use of motif into ambience and mood. I honestly cannot remember the last time I heard an interesting soundtrack that wasn't a Pixar film or "The Force Awakens."

I blame Hans Zimmer. Everyone these days is apeing Hans freaking Zimmer. You might remember Hans Zimmer as being the composer who scored an entire Batman trilogy with two notes on the strings and two chords on the brass. 

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

And used the same theme in Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean and Armageddon. :(

Maybe he is just thinking that the new "Block busters" are telling anyways all the same story (one hero, one bad guy, one nerd and a screaming woman), so why should I think about something new.... :)

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited September 2016

Aaaaand, a fairly excellent rebuttal from Dan Golding:

Also very interesting 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,723 Ambassador

Thanks, @AxelWilkinson for the video.

Good food for thought.  Still, it sounds like the trend in scoring is going to continue to be less original in the future.