Anna The Dune Queen Making Of

Ambiroa
Ambiroa Website User Posts: 180 Just Starting Out
edited August 2013 in Practical Filmmaking
Nothing fancy, a fashion Making Of, no vfx but HF simply as an editor. Its actually my first BTS video and learned a great lesson: "Always learn in advance if the photographer is shooting in direct sunlight or sun-through-clouds.". Found out that this photographer always shoots in direct sunlight which makes the light pretty harsh for videos. Many clips were simply not usable to lightrays leaking in. Happy with it anyways because its my first  ;) 
EDIT: New version uploaded to remove the nipple slips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRXRafrffJ8&hd=1

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,974 Ambassador
    I'm surprised the still photographers weren't using reflectors when the sun was behind her. That can cause harsh shadows in still, too.
    It will be interesting to see what this project is about. Still, now we finally get to see the lovely lady in the sexy costume without old-film flicker. ;-)
    (Sybil Danning's "Battle Beyond the Stars" costume is jealous. http://dailygrindhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Sybil-Danning.jpg )
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,974 Ambassador
    edited August 2013

BTW, are you aware that the actresses nipples are showing at about 7:40? I don't know how "family friendly" you want this video to be, and I'm also aware that you can genuinely overlook things like exposed nipples in the heat of an edit.

• Ambiroa
    I'm surprised the still photographers weren't using reflectors when the sun was behind her. That can cause harsh shadows in still, too.
    It will be interesting to see what this project is about. Still, now we finally get to see the lovely lady in the sexy costume without old-film flicker. ;-)
    (Sybil Danning's "Battle Beyond the Stars" costume is jealous. http://dailygrindhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Sybil-Danning.jpg )

Haha yes, I am completely aware. And as a photographer myself I just couldn't believe the photographer chose to shoot; 1. in full opposite of the sun (in fact, he actually chose to have sun directly behind her), 2. without a reflector to fill, and 3. actually waiting till the cloud passed so he has direct sunlight. I would have turned the model so the sun was bit off centre, always have a reflector with me (white), and use clouds to have a softer and better controllable light.
    But yeah in this case I tagged along to shoot the BTS video and I felt it wasn't my place to say something to the photographer.
    I shot a BTS yesterday with a different team (same stylist), same place but different spots, and this photographer actually waited till a cloud was in front and use it as a mega softbox, so the clips I have from that shoot a way nicer, cleaner and color-wise better balanced.

• Ambiroa
    BTW, are you aware that the actresses nipples are showing at about 7:40? I don't know how "family friendly" you want this video to be, and I'm also aware that you can genuinely overlook things like exposed nipples in the heat of an edit.

No I didn't overlooked it, but kept it in. Its pretty subtle and I think not disturbing from keeping focus on the entire frame. But I can understand you noticed that, I mean its a great design bustier after all lool :D  

• Triem23
    Or, maybe a gold reflector would have looked nice with the costume.
    Yeah, if you're there for video, you're right to not give suggestions to the photographer. 1) He won't like it. 2) Not your job. 3) If the photos end up with whacked-out lighting, you have the mental satisfaction of "Told ya so."
    I assume the shoot you did yesterday was still an Anna the Dune Queen BTS.
  • Ambiroa
    No the Anna shoot is done now, the teaser was out earlier, and this is the BTS/Making Of.
    The one yesterday had a different theme, native American, but when we saw the model, obviously the first thing came to mind was Pocahontas. She hates that haha because all people tell her that.
    I am going to start making a teaser for that one tomorrow, although I have to buy some new music because I don't have anything left that fits the theme.
  • Triem23

No I didn't overlooked it, but kept it in. Its pretty subtle and I think not disturbing from keeping focus on the entire frame. But I can understand you noticed that, I mean its a great design bustier after all lool :D  

Healthy heterosexual male who likes boobs. Of course I noticed.
    Although I actually liked the costume best with the black bodysuit. After that, the mesh leggings with the mesh bolero top.
    If this is an action film, then that poor actress would have had trouble staying in the bustier with certain costume configurations.
    And yes, it really is a great design for the bustier, just as a costume piece.

• Ambiroa

And here it is, the model asked for the nipple clips to be removed. Nipple-free version is up :)

• Triem23
    The model asked? Oops. I hope I didn't get you busted (pun unintended when the thought formed--embraced by the time it was typed..
  • Ambiroa
    The model asked? Oops. I hope I didn't get you busted (pun unintended when the thought formed--embraced by the time it was typed..

No no, it was an...interesting, yeah that's the appropriate word for her, model to work with anyway. She didn't mind to shoot without a bra or nipple covers, yet during the shoot she was highly focused on checking whether her nipps were visible or not  @-)
    Lesson learned here: insist on having the model put on a bra when notice she is actually prudish  :))

• Triem23
    Well. A bra would mess up the line of the costume. But moleskin pasties, a-la Janet Leigh in Psycho. ;-)