Overcast - Short Film

Andrew
Andrew Posts: 379 Enthusiast
edited September 2016 in Practical Filmmaking

Hey All,

Wanted to share with everyone our latest short film, 'Overcast'.

It's a decidedly more-stylized, more-ambiguous father-son movie than most of our Atomic work- but in that offered us an opportunity for more experimentation to try out somewhat of an 80s pulp-thriller vibe in the cinematic aspects and music. And also allotted us one of our first chances to work with a child actor (and a handful of other new talent) on a non-commercial project in recent years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZypkDvOEXY

The end result is a 7-minute short we're pretty happy with and hope you all enjoy. It was a ton of fun to put together and netted awards for Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, and Best Musical Score in the 48 Hour Film Project this past month.

But perhaps more-tellingly: The short film also stands as one of our most skeleton-crew endeavors in recent years- assembled by an on-set crew of just two people (director/DP and boom/AC), with myself writing, editing, and producing and our composing compiling the music from afar. In that respect, it was a unique challenge and a hard-fought creation- but hey, if nothing else that proves just how essential simply having the right people doing and trusting eachother in the right thing is.

If you've got any comments or questions- please do voice them here, and I'd love to discuss.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,061 Ambassador

Another solid short from Atomic, and always inspiring to see what a honed crew experienced with each other can do in a short time. As is typical for Atomic the entire production feels like it required a lot more time and money than you had. It's not a surprise that the team keeps winning so many festival awards. 

Oddly enough, I didn't get the 80's vibe. To my aesthetic heavy intercutting of present time with flashbacks is more of a 90's thing. This is probably because right after "Pulp Fiction" came out all the theater and film students at my university started playing around with non-linear narratives. Plus films like "Fight Club," or "Memento..." 

• GodofThunder
    GodofThunder Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    edited September 2016

Awesome! Love the poster. You sure packed in a lot of raw emotion in 7 or sminutes.

• GodofThunder

cant edit my comment above for some reason. I meant to type "... In 7 minutes!"

• Kadri
    Kadri Posts: 168 Just Starting Out*

There were only 3 things that stand out to me. The dialog in the beginning was too early. The sound of the pistols. And the final confrontation .

(Other then that it looked all great.)

But then i saw  "48 hours"... really is this all done in 48 hours?  Then i will only shut up .

Really nice work :)

• GodofThunder

I've asked Ryan Connolly to have a look at it. 

• Andrew
    edited September 2016

Thanks, guys. Yes- the short was indeed conceptualized, created, and produced entirely in 48 hours- though really that's sorta tertiary to us these days.

The reason we come back continually to the 48 hour competition (after a hiatus for a few years) is that while the timing never changes, each year represents a different unique challenge to our approach, or new and interesting opportunities to try out different things, actors, crew members, etc. in a very exciting sort of trial-by-fire of momentum you seldom get with any other film endeavor in my experience.

I'm glad you all have enjoyed it!

• Kadri

@Andrew thanks for answering. Really great work :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited September 2016

The masters of teal & orange. :P

No but seriously, you guys never fail to impress!

I love the music although it's a bit too loud at times. And, sometimes it felt like as if I was watching The Dark Knight, that's not a bad thing mind you!

I've never made something like this, so I don't see my criticism as valid either...

• Andrew
    edited September 2016

Ah, but you can never have music be too loud. Haha. ;)

And that's quite the compliment, comparing to The Dark Knight. I suppose it's the vibe of the color palette and brooding atmosphere, perhaps. Thanks for checking it out.

@Triem23 - I can see what you mean with non-linear timelines as being a harkening back to the likes of Pulp Fiction- though I sometimes feel like that 'trick' of the 90s is more for the sake of withholding information and being clever, and less affecting the actual narrative structure the way more-contemporary films use disjointed narratives. In our case here, I mention the 80s because it's a movie with more-caricaturish and to-the-point villains, it's got a diverse and wide-netted cast, it's got synth music cues, a brooding atmosphere and dark, thriller-y cinematography and colors, and a pointedly father-son throwback of coming-of-age memories, which is a nostalgia-factor device I felt/feel like I see frequently in movies of that period. Maybe that's just me, though, having been born in the 80s but largely raised looking back on it as history in the 90s as a kid.

Also @Kadri - you mentioned the dialogue coming in too early in the beginning. What did you mean by that? Just wondering.

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,149 Ambassador
    edited September 2016

@Andrew really solid film, had me gripped from start to end. The back story to how the sitution was inevitably going to get resolved was spot on. I liked the grading and the flow. Good job.

My only gripe was the final scenes with the killing, here was a loan shark that clearly thought he was a bad ass, and yet he was protected by one man in an office complex. I don't know many loan sharks (thankfully none) but this struck me as out of character. The guy theatens family then says come to my place at night, really that is a dumb loan shark. Desperate people do desperate things.

PS: Loved the vibe from the music.

• Kadri
    edited September 2016

@Andrew until we hear he says "No wait" there are only the credits. We see him just a little and are back. Speaking over the credits is not a problem but the flow and cut of the sound felt too early. For a second i had to think if the next scene was the present or past.  It is clear because of his face and music. But still it felt a little kinda mismatched. He could have said some other things over the credit. When he said "we start here" we could have seen him in in the elevator already for example.

But really with a 48 hours made project i wouldn't think so detailed at all. And it is subjective at the same time of course.

• Andrew

@Andy001z Yeah, unfortunately that one is something I have the chalk up to just '48 hours'. Like I mentioned in the initial post, we were severely undermanned, which made for an interesting challenge- but also came with concessions. As-written, the ending shootout was supposed to build up to this pulpy sort of over-the-top gunfight (similar to the ending of our 2012 Christmas movie 'Tis The Season'), something crass and caricaturish but still big on the 'cool factor'. Unfortunately a mixture of timing and exhaustion and lack of complete confidence or control in the location we shot at just accelerated the pace of what we needed to get and how simply we got it.

It also poured down rain almost the entire shoot- which made for a fitting title in "Overcast" and lent a cool drizzly look to many of the scenes- but also made setup and breakdown of practically everything we did much, much more difficult and required much more attention to how we cared for equipment. That just slowed us down in some spots, and the finale was probably the biggest of those. But hey, it's a give-and-take.

The result is admittedly more lackluster of a 'pow pow' ending than I generally would've liked- but as with anything haha- it's still complete and makes enough sense. We cut it down to only the essential required people and shots we needed and blazed through it. And that's the important stuff to me. 

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,149 Ambassador

@Andrew Yes you did complete it and for that you should be proud and happy. It's easy to sit on the fence nic-picking others work. And jolly well done for : Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, and Best Musical Score in the 48 Hour Film Project this past month. That is certainly a lot of awards.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,426 Ambassador

@Andrew Late to the party but very solid work!  

Everything works (editing, cinematography, sound - I'll give acting 9 out of 10) and it held my interest to the end.  Phenomenal work for 48 hours!

Congrats!

• PaulHesh
    PaulHesh Posts: 120 Enthusiast

Too bad it only rained on half of the conversation.

Great video, and congrats.

Hesh

• Andrew

Heh, if only. It poured down rain on both ends- the broad daylight just makes it super hard to see. The fortunate/unfortunate thing about Josh's coverage of the scene was that by the time we got to him- he was so heavily soaked and the rain was coming down so much harder and harder- that it looked super cinematic. All we could do was really embrace it and seam the difference where most-noticeable with sound. ;)