Waveform, Audio spectrum or something for syncing audio?

Ametz
Ametz Posts: 2

Hello.

Is it possible to see some kind of Waveform on the audio so its easier to sync recorded sound? (If i record video from a phone and use audio from another source)

Also:
Is there someway to move the audio clip frame by frame (instead of moving it with the mouse by dragging, because that's very inaccurate)

Comments

• Ametz
    Ametz Posts: 2

Good one, i have done the frames bigger now, but as they say in that post it's not that good but doable.

Only thing missing in that post is an explanation on a better way to move the audio frame by frame without using a mouse. So any idé on that?

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,367 Expert

Unfortunately Hitfilm is pretty devoid of keyboard shortcuts, modifiers and or clip/event movements.

The only way in Hitfilm to get accurate frame by frame clip/event movement is to zoom in enough such that each frame tick mark is separated by a reasonable distance on screen. Then zoom back out.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,889 Ambassador

Also, you can slide back  and forth with the < and > keys, frame by frame.

If you are zoomed in far enough you can drag the audio track frame by frame, as well.  But you have to be zoomed in close enough to see each tick mark on the timeline as a frame.

• Cervier
    Cervier Posts: 159 Just Starting Out*

- On my keyboard, pressing "<" or ">" doesn't do anything (?)

- Here's a quick and dirty video on how to manually sync clips in Hitfilm. It's very basic (I'm a beginner) but I found a method I didn't see in other tutorials, much to my surprise. It makes use of both the trimmer viewer and the output one.

Let's say you want to sync clip #1 with clip #2. Put clip # on the timeline and look for an easy to recognize and "sharp" moment. Let's call that moment our "spot". Using the frame-by-frame buttons or keys, set the playhead as precisely as possible on that spot.

Display clip #2 in the trimmer viewer (don't put it on the timeline yet) and do the same. When you've found the spot, set an in-point and take that to where the playhead is. To have the complete clip on the timeline, just drag its left border (from the in-point) to the left.

The clips are synced, at least roughly (you can now do a more precise job using the sound tracks if available).

This way, you can use keys to move frame-by-frame. Not the clip itself on the timeline, but the "mark" (the playhead for clip #1, the in-point for clip #2).

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,275 Power User

@Stargazer54 to correct, in Hitfilm it's the "." and "," keys for frame stepping. It's everything else in the universe using ">" and "<."

Contrary to @NormanPCN, Hitfilm actually has a fair amount of keyboard shortcuts--go into File>Options>Keyboard Shortcuts for a full list, and to alter key bindings. 

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,255 Staff
    edited August 2016

@Triem23 - to be clear, "," and "." are the exact same keys as "<" and ">".  The pointy brackets are just the shift modifiers for the comma and period keys.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,275 Power User

@AxelWilkinson forgot to leave the winky face on my poor attempt at humor. ;-) 

• Cervier

I should have specified I have a french keyboard, the "," is on the same key as "?" (under) and "." is on the same key as ";" (but above). ">" and "<" are on the same key.

• AxelWilkinson

Ah, thanks for clarifying, @Cervier. That would make a difference. Sorry, my mistake.

• Cervier

Not at all, I didn't think of that at first either.

BTW, all tutorials I've watched on the website are very good, clear and well made. For some reason, I especially like yours. I can't exactly say why that is, but I thought not knowing it shouldn't prevent me from congratulating you anyway. So, there you are. Thank you sir

• AxelWilkinson

Well, thanks! Glad to hear you are enjoying them. There are more on the way.