Trying to Map an Image onto a moving Train Hitfilm2 Ultimate

MichaelGiambrone
MichaelGiambrone Website User Posts: 7

Hello. I just got back into using Hitfilm2 Ultimate and was wondering about an issue I am trying to resolve.

I have footage of a moving train, the camera is pretty much on a tripod. I used mocha to track one of the box cars and got a fairly decent track. I then tried to add a png image to the box car by using one of the points on the mocha points on the track as the parent. The image doesn't show up at all after I convert it to a 3d plane. Should be fairly simple. What am I missing???

Comments

• Palacono
    Palacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,445 Enthusiast

Is the layer with your .PNG above the background layer?

Often the scale is a factor; I often have to scale things either down to 1% or up to 1000% to get them visible with a mocha track and camera; it varies from scene to scene.

• MichaelGiambrone

Thanks, I'll try the scaling.

Yes Palacono, the PNG is above the footage layer.

The tracking points came over with the comp shot, but I don't actually see the points. When I'm in perspective view, I can see the camera bouncing around as I scrub through the footage.

• Palacono

To see the points you need to select them on the timeline. To see them all, either SHIFT-click on several, or CTRL-Click to select them individually. You'll get 4 corners and the centre point, which is generally the only one I use.

Try using the overhead or side views to see if you can spot where the .PNG is in relation to the video layer/ camera and the points.

• MichaelGiambrone

I just watched your video on the Filmaking forum Getting Creative with 2D tracking.

I wonder if that method would work better.

• Palacono

Well, possibly, but I suspect it might be harder as I assume there is a lot of perspective change on the side of an approaching train. Certainly more fiddly, but depends on the complexity of the shot.

If you do go that, way, you'll need to rotate and approximate the 3D texture to stick on the train in the first frame (I used a simple plane as it was easier to see it) and attach it to a tracking point. Then do the same for the last frame and Hitfilm does a pretty good job of interpolating between them for scale and angles, which it needed to do to a tiny degree on that tower. Scale was handled by using dual tracking points and a little correction of rotation was done to keep it attached throughout.

It slides just a little, but because the interpolation is smooth: even I have to look for it. :)

• MichaelGiambrone

The footage is a freight train going across a railroad crossing. The train is coming in from to left of the screen at a slight angle.

The camera in the original footage must have been on a tripod, so the camera is not moving. I wouldn't mind using the plane as you suggested. Imagine, I am trying to cover the door of one of the box cars with an image and some text.

• Palacono

OK, well that sounds like a possible candidate. Best of luck :)