Blurring A Model

BriReddBriRedd Website User Posts: 98 Just Starting Out

So, how do you blur a 3D unrolled model? It looks too sharp compared to other elements.

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited August 2016

If its moving, just turn on motion blur for that layer, on the timeline. There is a button for motion blur alongside each layer. If its not moving, then you can use a grade layer or embedded composite shot to apply the blur.

• BriReddBriRedd Website User Posts: 98 Just Starting Out

Wow! That was fast!

A grade layer isn't going to work for the situation because of the other layers below the one I want blurred.

I tried embedding a composite shot but the composited model doesn't interact properly with another model in the scene (basically a 3D chimney placed on top of a 3D building). 

Anything else that you can pull out of your sleeve?!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

Did you know you can put multiple models into the same layer? If everything is static elements--buildings, chimneys, street, etc, you can drag all the models into a single layer and position/rotate/scale each one individually. In fact, if you put multiple models in a single layer, you can parent each individual model to it's own point for animation! In theory you can always do all 3D model setups in Hitfilm on a single layer. 

And...If you get all your buildings into one layer you can use 2D compositing instead of 3D Unrolled and be able to put blur directly on your model layer. 

edited August 2016

Thanks as always, @Triem23!

I did know about placing all of the models on one layer but one of the models looked sharper than the other and I couldn't blur just the one. I ended up adjusting the texture in Photoshop which helped a lot.

Unfortunately, I had a 3D Plane in the stack and the models didn't want to play nicely in 2D.

I also noticed that when I try to place a blur on one of the three models on the 2D layer, all of the models blurred.  Am I doing something wrong?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

@BriRedd nope. The only limitation to combining 3D models into a single layer is that they will share effects. Adding an effect to a layer will, um, effect the entire layer. 

@Triem23, you are a wealth of knowledge! I mistook your meaning in your original reply when you said you can place a blur on the model layer - I thought you meant the individual models in the model stack.