Wet Surface - Reflections

GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast

This is above my pay grade..

How would one go about making a wet surface? Something along the lines of what @NXVisualStudio is doing with his Hitfilm City pack.

Can it be done with texture maps?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador
    edited August 2016

If the surface is like a stone/concrete surface, then what you want to do is create a Specular (texture)  Map and crank up Specular reflections. Remember to enable reflections in the material properties of all layers required. 

Just a reminder, a Specular map is black and white, black is 0% white is 100%. Light grey/white areas are your puddles. Dark grey areas are damp, black areas are dry. Look at the VideoCopilot tutorial on 3D virtual scenes on YouTube. First, it shows the rooftop models from the VCP pack. Second, it shows how to set up a specular* and environment map to look wet. He's using Element 3D of course, but I think you know your Hitfilm well enough to adapt the concepts.

*Andrew Kramer is using a Glossiness (Reflection) map. We don't have those (yet--knock wood), but are getting a similar effect by taking advantage of Specular Reflections.

Question for @Spydurhank @Stargazer54 or @NxVisualStudio the type of glossy Specular reflections in Hitfilm are unusual. Most 3D apps tend to use Specular just for the actual light Hotspot. Are Specular maps doubling as Glossiness maps in Hitfilm? 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

@Triem23

"Are Specular maps doubling as Glossiness maps in Hitfilm? "

Probably because that's usually what happens when glossiness maps aren't supported, specular ends up doing double duty.

Now I have a question for you - A glossiness map is usually the inverse of roughness so is it possible to fake it with Cook-Torrance?

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast

Well the specular map and cranking it up worked fairly well. Hardest part is finding the right environment map that make the reflection look "legit?"

Thanks.