Creative 2D Tracking ideas

everkingsleyeverkingsley Website User Posts: 10

Hey all,

I'm having creator's block and could use some suggestions.  Besides muzzle flashes, flares, flames, text, etc... what can I add to my videos(horror, action, even comedy is cool) using 2D tracking? I'm trying to get some extra practice in (i just recently learned the basics)but I'm stuck on ideas.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast
  • MandalorianMandalorian Website User Posts: 79

Could try adding an effect or marking to someones face, or putting a new sign on a truck/car or a building.  Also using tracking to erase things from shots could be helpful, such as branding, unwanted flower pots, a reflection in a picture, etc.

• everkingsleyeverkingsley Website User Posts: 10

Awesome suggestions! Thanks, guys!

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast
    edited August 2016

If you use 2 point tracking to attach text to something, you can have it track and resize the text, which makes it look like it's floating above the thing you tracked and looks quite good for a semi-3D camera look.

Furthermore: if you play with the scale of the tracked point, it will appear to move the point in or out in pseudo 3D space, so you can get it looking like the text is floating in front or behind of the thing you tracked, which gives an even more 3D look.  Can look quite convincing without needing a 3D camera.

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,909 Enthusiast
    edited August 2016

Palacono, that looks amazing because it looks like it fits in the scene.

Why don't you keep your videos public?

I personally use tracking so much for color grading, I track masks.

Also since noboy mentioned this, you can also stabilize your video

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,216 Ambassador

@Palacono huh. Scaling the tracked point would result in a psuedo-3D placement... Only fairly accurate, but powerful... I've not done that myself. Good tip!  

Great tips!! 

• HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    edited August 2016

It can also be great for layering in a generated 3D effect and keeping it synced up to how the camera moves/shakes with hand-held footage, making it feel like it's actually part of the shot and not just kind of "plunked" on top of it.

This is a screenshot from a video I was working on some time ago, which is supposed to be footage of an unknown object entering earth's atmosphere, quickly grabbed on the fly by someone using their phone's camera. I first tracked two of the streetlights in the parking lot to get the degree of camera shake going on in the shot (which I grabbed walking quickly in the street with a Flip HD), and assigned the results of the track to a Point. I then created the "vapour trail" using HF's Missile Smoke effect (with the bright light flare parented to its end), moving in 3D space to make it appear to be moving high up from behind my left shoulder, over, and forward past me). I finally parented the Point from the tracking info to the composite containing the missile smoke/light flare, so it got the same amount of camera shake as the real hand-held shot.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,707 Ambassador

@Har Looks pretty convincing!

I also see that WTF stock is up 1.2%.   Shoulda bought low.

@Har that's really impressive!

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,909 Enthusiast
    edited August 2016

I'll be honest and say that the flare looks a bit too sharp, but perhaps that's what it should look like and I'm now looking like an idiot. It does stand out as being way sharper if you imagine a camera capturing everything "equally".

• HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    edited August 2016

Thanks @Stargazer54 and @everkingsley!  

KevinTheFilmmaker oh, I'm sure it is: that project was never completed and the screenshot was from a rough version before any serious fine-tuning and grading was ever put in place (hence the heavy-handed D4N effect that "seemed like a good idea at the time" LOL). Really, it was more of a proof-of-concept with the tracking, meant to be finalized later.  

(I really should finish that thing some day....)