Music video teaser

Har
Har Website User Posts: 401 Enthusiast
So, my first official bit of publicly visible Hitfilm-ery is now up on YooToob: whilst working on a small part of a music video I've been toiling over for a while very late last night, I got struct with a bit of 2AM bravado and decided to slap together a quick ~30-second teaser for it. Very much a "YES!!!! GRRRRR!! Let's DO THIS!!!!!!" off-the-cuff kind of thing that sometimes happens when you're not fully awake but still have too much creative energy going (sometimes with catastrophic results...  ;)  )

(and hey...a teaser for a MUSIC video? Yeah, that's not pretentious... :)) )

Essentially, the music video and the underlying song is based on the whole "Mayan Doomsday" prediction from last December that never happened. The concept basically is an alternate take on it, from a slightly different angle.

Anyway, the is mainly using a 3D sphere object with one of the NASA images of Earth mapped onto it, some "opening spacecraft viewport doors" that made a lot of use of Light Wrap (love it! :)) and various levels of lighting and flare grades to give the effect of the light streaming through it as it opens. The "Mayan HUD" was worked up using Blufftitler and composited in; I pieced everything together in Vegas and quickly used some subtle grading using Magic Bullet Quick Looks. 

Again, this was all pretty half-asleep/spur-of-the-moment, but I'm fairly happy with the results so far anyway, especially viewed in HD. We'll see what happens when I'm more awake when I go at things...  ;)

Comments

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador
    edited August 2013
    Who's comming?!?!?!? I'm a little freaked out right now.  ;)
    Great visuals! I'll have to explore your technique.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,956 Ambassador
    Simple, effective and pretty. Likey lots.
  • Har
    Thanks StormyKnight and Triem23!  :) 
  • Masqutti
    Masqutti Website User Posts: 340
    Sounds and looks GREAT! :)
  • Har
    Thanks Masqutti!  :) 
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Very nicely done! The opening of the doors works really nicely, with the light peeking around the edges.
  • Har
    edited August 2013
    Thanks Simon! :)  Yah, the doors were something I spent a lot of time tweaking, especially the lighting.
    Basically it's four simple flat black shapes that I worked up in Photoshop (each with a bright green "cutout" section that I chromakeyed out in HF), two of which I rotated 90 degrees from the others, and then offset their keyframed motion by using different curves and start/end points to give it that look like they were sliding past and in front of each other as they opened.

The doors themselves looked OK at first, but something was definitely missing, looking too flat and obviously just like some boring cartoony cutouts. So I first used the Light Wrap on the doors, which REALLY helped a lot to sell the glowing light coming around the edges.

The problem was, the shape of the auto-flares that I had lower in the Earth composite were cut off looking like they were still "behind" the doors: someone "seeing" things from the POV of the viewer (watching through the HUD) should see the flares coming "though and over" the top of the doors as they opened.

So, I duplicated the auto-flares that I had in the nested composite shot of the Earth (this thing had a ton of nested comps, each with a ton of layers), out onto a separate grade layer that was up and "in front of" the layer with the comp of the opening doors, and slightly changed the flare-types. Then, as the doors opened, the second set of auto-flares reacted to the light "behind" the doors and flared out "through" them as they opened. I then keyframed the opacity of that grade layer to quickly fade down when the door was about 50% opened, to let the original flares down in the Earth comp kind of "take over" from there.

That was another of those "Aha!" moments that hit on another evening around 2:30 in the morning. Maybe I should start changing my sleep cycles to better sync up with these creative bursts...  :))

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited August 2013
    That sounds like a cool technique with the flares. One other tip - you don't need to use green in photoshop which you then key out in HitFilm. Instead, just make a transparent background in Photoshop and paint onto that. As long as you export with alpha (use PNG or TIFF) it'll just work in HitFilm without you needing to do any keying.
    Also, to get nitpicky, there's a change in the horizontal flare bands as the doors open. THe horizontal banding of the top floor disappears once the doors are open.
  • Har
    edited August 2013
    That sounds like a cool technique with the flares. One other tip - you don't need to use green in photoshop which you then key out in HitFilm. Instead, just make a transparent background in Photoshop and paint onto that. As long as you export with alpha (use PNG or TIFF) it'll just work in HitFilm without you needing to do any keying.
    Ahhh, good to know...thanks!  :) 
    Also, to get nitpicky, there's a change in the horizontal flare bands as the doors open. THe horizontal banding of the top floor disappears once the doors are open.
    Yah, I noticed that right away when I did it...it's like the second, lower auto-flare on the "ocean" grabbed control away from the first, upper one that was peeking around from behind Earth
    The funny thing is, the more I looked at it, the more I kind of liked it for some reason...it felt like it accentuated the idea of the sunlight peeking around behind the Earth but then quickly dropping in level as the camera moved in closer in an arc, building the subtle feeling of curved motion around the Earth as it approaches it. Long story short, I liked it so left it in, right or wrong.  :)