Please (oh pretty)-(codec related)

Sarasota
Sarasota Posts: 267 Just Starting Out*
edited August 2016 in General

Comments

• TRIFLIX
    TRIFLIX Columbus, INPosts: 925 Enthusiast

#ProresOrDie

In all seriousness, I see how this should be annoying. 

• Sarasota
    edited August 2016
  • Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,466 Enthusiast

The problem I have with ProRes is the lack of proper tools on Windows. FFMpeg helps but it's just not a "true" solution. 

Opening up the AVI export option to use your choice of codec like HQ/HQX or Cineform would be nice but that means resorting to Video for Windows which brings along its own issues. 

An option that might help for the moment is setup a watch folder with Powershell to call up the encoder of your choice when the HitFilm render is done. You'd still be transcoding but at least it would be hands free in the background

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,275 Power User

I'm about 100% certain that the only limiting factor in more codec support is license fees. FxHome HAS to know by now that limited export formats is one of the major weaknesses in Hitfilm, and I can't think of another reason why this hasn't been addressed yet.

Now, as Sarasota says, many people would pay a little bit more for some more codecs, but--what's "a little bit more," and what's the license holder charging? Using the Express Add-On store as a rough guide, with BCC, Mocha and AVCHD support we know that over a hundred bucks of the Pro package is licensing already. I have to assume that codec licenses are pushing $50 or more a unit*, otherwise this would have been added in already. And if a ProRes and DNxHD license are (for sake of argument) $50 each, then HF5 would suddenly go from about $300 to about $400.

This is a HUGE price increase and would slow sales. Especially since (to be blunt) most people won't understand that this huge price increase pays Apple and Avid, not FxHome.

So, while I want more codecs, the reality is this WILL NOT HAPPEN in HF4 at all. We can hope for HF5P, but... well, at this point we loop back to my first paragraph. :-)

*Seriously, or more.

• MarcioBR
    MarcioBR Posts: 11

I think they should focus in the DNxHD and CineForm codecs. They are both available free and they have pretty much replaced ProRes for a lot of Windows users. Especially Cineform that you can use both in a .mov or a .avi file. 

• Triem23

Cineform is a good choice...

DNxHD is NOT a free codec. For open source software Avid lets it go, but Hitfilm (because of Pro) is COMMERCIAL software, and to implement DNxHD export, Hitfilm would have fees.

Now... Is Cineform treated the same way, or is it truly a free codec?

• MarcioBR
    MarcioBR Posts: 11
    edited August 2016

Yeah, I meant free for the final user. :)

I'm not sure how Cineform works in their license scheme, but something tells me it would be cheaper than DNxHD, because Avid is a direct competitor to HitFilm, but GoPro is not. 

• Aladdin4d

DNxHD requires licensing for commercial usage in a product like HitFilm. FXHOME could implement VC-3 which is a subset of DNx but there's a patent license (royalty reporting) and they couldn't reference Avid or DNx without paying Avid for compliance testing, 

VC-5 is based on Cineform but I don't know what the current restrictions are. 

I've mentioned it before but being able to frame serve out of HitFilm could be an ideal compromise. It wouldn't require licensing and the end user could use the encoder of their choice. 

• Sarasota
    edited August 2016
  • BobDiMarzio
    BobDiMarzio Posts: 624 Just Starting Out
    edited August 2016

Speaking about compatibility,    I use Cliptooz to transcode my camera output to DNxHD for editing in Hitfilm.  However it seems this codec is incompatible with Hit Film Mocha.   So to avoid this issue all footage destined for Mocha tracking gets transcoded to Image sequence.   It this related to Cliptooz or is all DNxHD incompatible with Hit Film Mocha?     Oddly Transcoding to Prores is compatible with Mocha.    What do the more experienced user recommend?

Thanks,

Bob

• Aladdin4d

@BobDiMarzio  Apparently Mocha's DNxHD support has been broken for several years now. Supposedly version 2.3.7 and below of the official Avid distribution works but that's going back to 2012 and might break something else. Imagineer has always recommended using image sequences over anything else anyway so I'd stick to what you're already doing.

• Triem23

@BobDiMarzio You actually get the best results out of Mocha with image sequences anyway. Faster tracking and solving, too! 

• BobDiMarzio
    BobDiMarzio Posts: 624 Just Starting Out

Thanks @Aladdin4d and @Triem23 for such prompt responses.  I'll just continue doing what has worked.

Thanks,

Bob

• Sarasota
    edited August 2016