Groups problem-importing obj to hitfilm 2 ultimate

RangelRangel Website User Posts: 9
Hi,
I am using google sketchup to make models to import to hitfilm 2 Ultimate.
The problem is when i make a model with a specific group in sketchup and export to hitfilm, the group does´t show up in the importing window in hitfilm, and I can just see older groups that I already exploded to work with.
What can I do?
PS: Im trying to animate helicopter blades
Thank you so much!

Comments

• OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    I haven't worked with bringing models from sketchup to HitFilm so I'm not overly familiar with how sketchup sets up their models.  However, the new group that you are creating, does it have a separate material from the rest of the already setup groups?  If it's anything like blender, setting up a different material for a group of objects will show up as different groups once imported into HitFilm.
    Hope that helps, give it a try and let us know if it worked :)
  • RangelRangel Website User Posts: 9
    Actually the blades had diferent materials than the rest of the helicopter.
    Although I tried using a model from a 3d bank, with diferent materials on the blades than the rest of the plane and it worked fine...
    I am really confused... :huh: 
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    Actually the blades had diferent materials than the rest of the helicopter.
    Although I tried using a model from a 3d bank, with diferent materials on the blades than the rest of the plane and it worked fine...
    I am really confused... :huh:

Hmm interesting...
    The helicopter you're using in sketchup, if you delete the current material of the blades and then create a new one does that change anything?  For whatever reason, I've noticed that when I use Blender, sometimes the initial materials are grouped together with other parts of the model once imported into HitFilm.  After deleting the material and creating a new one in Blender, HitFilm groups it properly. 

Just to try I painted my helicopter of red.
    In the exporting window at sketchup, as usual, it says "exported 3 groups etc...".
    When i open everything in Hitfilm I see a lot of diferent groups, but not the sketchup ones...
    It hapens not only with this model, but also with other planes and helicopters from sketchup library I have already tried,..
    I realy don´t know how to solve this  :-? 
  • techboytechboy Website User Posts: 2
    I found a great plugin for Sketchup that gives you an alternative way of exporting to .OBJ  This works a treat showing only the groups you made.
    http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33448
    Sounds great! And thanks for the reply!
    But I have a problem with it...
    when I try o export, everything is ok but there is no obj. file in the folder I chosed...
    That´s what appears inthe ruby console:
    OBJExporter: 

C:/Users/André/Desktop/Untitled.obj

Error: #<Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory - C:\Users\André\Desktop/Untitled.obj>

C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/OBJexporter.rb:266:in `initialize'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/OBJexporter.rb:266:in `new'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/OBJexporter.rb:266:in `export_start'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/OBJexporter.rb:245:in `export'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/OBJexporter.rb:223:in `initialize'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/OBJexporter.rb:1093:in `new'

C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/OBJexporter.rb:1093

Can you help me?

• techboytechboy Website User Posts: 2
    Assuming your going through the "File" menu to use the plugin & not typing things in Ruby, as for some reason most of the slashes seem to be the wrong way round.  Try just exporting a couple of simple shapes and choose the root directory which eliminates any rooting problems and that "e" character.