Beginner questions

ZuvuyaZuvuya Website User Posts: 13
Hi,
As a pretty basic video editor in Sony Vegas 9.0, I upgraded to the 12.0 suite, which included Hitfilm 2 Ultimate.
Really great step forward and I´m excited about it. Talking about Hitfilm, all the possibilities are kind of overwhelming too and a number of tutorials - though they look great - expect you to know a lot more about the programm than I do at this point.
Since I can´t find answers to these in the manual or on the forum (or haven´t looked at the right place) I´ll ask them here:
- Can you create and export clips with a transparent background (for instance text), so you can place it over a videoclip in another NLE (Vegas in my case) and if so, how?
- Can the timeline be set to bars & beats for working with music based video´s?
- Any advice on a good source to find extended basic information (and to get you beyond those very first steps)?
That´s it for now. Hope you´ll bare with me as I learn.
Kind regards,
Charles

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador
    Vegas can load a Hitfilm composite shot and treat it as media, so, yes, you can export shots with transparent backgrounds, and without rendering!

You can think of it like nesting veg files onto a Vegas timeline.

I don't think hitfilm's ruler can be changed. Vegas started as an audio editor and is more "music friendly" in rulers.

For tutorials, start with the "Your First Project" parts 1 and 2,then "Introduction to Lightning" Introduction to 3D Cameras "Anatomy of a Particle Simulator" and "Advanced 3D particle behaviors" then "Embedding Composite Shots" and "Building Animation Rigs." Those are the tutorials that teach the basic tools you need to follow the rest of the tutorials. If yiu have a tablet/smartphone, I suggest using a youtube downloader to store the tutorials on the tablet/phone, so you can work in Hitfilm as the tutorials ply, so you can start, stop and back up.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador
    I forgot introduction to masking.
  • MasquttiMasqutti Website User Posts: 340
    You can also export uncompressed AVI that's RGBA ( 24-bit), so it includes the alpha channel to use with basicly any NLE or other editors. But, it requires loads of diskspace.
    Image sequence (png) would be better, just keep 1 sequence per 1 folder. :)
  • RedHatRedHat Website User Posts: 75
    Just make a HFU2 scene with text & save it.  Then drag the saved HFU2 scene into the V12 timeline. The mask will be there.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    edited August 2013
    We actually have a Getting Started playlist on the YouTube channel. There's quite a few videos in there, but if you go through them all you'll know pretty much everything you need to know to then go off an explore on your own. :)
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL89CF88DDF93F26F6
    (incidentally, triem, with HitFilm 2 we repaced the 'Your First Project' two parter with the 'Project One' single tute. Same kinda stuff, but updated)
  • ZuvuyaZuvuya Website User Posts: 13
    Hi everyone,
    I hadn´t received notifications about new replies (even while I checked the box, strange?), so sorry I haven´t answered sooner.
    Thanks for all your suggestions, I appreciate your input. I will try them/look at the tuts. and see if run in to anymore questions.
    Kind regards,
    Charles
    Simon. Thanks for the note. A suggestion for your staff. I looked at tutorials via the support section of the community which lists tutorials in posting order. Can you seperate into playlists on the community? "Hitfilm Essentials," for basic interface and concepts, "Mocha Essentials" for those tutorials, FX examples for things like "Creating Time Tunnel, Harry Potter, Superman," etc and "Production Examples" for behind the scenes stuff, VFX breakdowns, etc?
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff
    You can filter by playlist, by tag, or by product on the left hand side of the Support page.
    So you can. Excuse my failing to notice that!
    I don't think hitfilm's ruler can be changed.

That´s a shame, since I think you could do great things with it. Any chance it will be a future feature?

You can also export uncompressed AVI that's RGBA ( 24-bit), so it includes the alpha channel to use with basicly any NLE or other editors. But, it requires loads of diskspace.
    Image sequence (png) would be better, just keep 1 sequence per 1 folder. :)

Thanks, loads of diskspace indeed, but I got that to work.

• MasquttiMasqutti Website User Posts: 340
    Vegas can load a Hitfilm composite shot and treat it as media, so, yes, you can export shots with transparent backgrounds, and without rendering! You can think of it like nesting veg files onto a Vegas timeline.

Maybe I´m doing something wrong (I probably am):
    I´ve made a test text (both 2d and 3d) and saved the project. When I import the .hfp file in Vegas it´s blanc?

edited August 2013
    We actually have a Getting Started playlist on the YouTube channel. There's quite a few videos in there, but if you go through them all you'll know pretty much everything you need to know to then go off an explore on your own. :)
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL89CF88DDF93F26F6
    (incidentally, triem, with HitFilm 2 we repaced the 'Your First Project' two parter with the 'Project One' single tute. Same kinda stuff, but updated)

Thanks!
    ****, the guy who appears to be the younger one is talking fast :D. Very helpful though!

edited August 2013
    OK, my previous posts in this thread were made on my Smartphone, so I was out of the house and not actually on my PC.
    Zuvuya, I did some tests, and I think I've figured out the issue you had with a hotfilm project going into Vegas as blank.
    I tried creating a composite shot with a text object in Hitfilm, creating a 3D point, adding an extrude effect to the text, parenting that to the text object, and throwing a couple lights on it and a little bit of animation.
    Then I saved the project and imported it into Vegas as media.
    Like you, my media was blank.
    So--I went back into Hitfilm and took the composite shot I made and dropped it onto the timeline in the main editor window and re-saved it. I tabbed back over into Vegas, and there was my 3D Hitfilm text, nicely alpha channeled over a background layer.
    So--when you bring a Hitfilm project into Vegas as embedded media, Vegas is looking for what's on the EDITOR timeline, and ignoring the composite shots.
    Hope this helps.
    Great Triem!
    Thanks for taking the time and letting me know!
    No problem--I was going to have to figure that out for my own work sooner or later.... Sooner, even.
  • M2MFilmsM2MFilms Website User Posts: 5
    Trying out MOCHA for the first time. I'm following the Orb tutorials on YouTube. 
    When trying to SOLVE the video to move on to phase 3 of the tutorial I got slapped with this when trying to solve 
    ---> CAMERA MOTION CAN'T BE COMPLETED IN AUTO MODE. PLEASE MANUALLY SELECT A SOLVER.
    What's my next move?
    Hmmmm.... Well. If you know the camera is handheld, and you know the rough focal length, you can manually change those flags in the camera solve setting. "Small Parallax" is better for objects mid-to far where you don't have too much movement/shift. "Large Parallax" is when you have objects close to camera or there's a lot of movement in the clip. PTZ is for tripod shots.
    Make sure you have all your layers selected.
    Although---if you're still getting that message after manually setting things, you might need to pick new planes and retrack.
    If your experience with MOCHA is anything like mine your first track test will be a total pain in the ass, then you'll have a EUREKA! moment and it will all make sense. Good luck.
    Thanks, but...It seems like all the SOLVES I'm trying, I'm getting a different message. I'm VERY new to this program so is there anyway this can explained in "dumb-ass" terms? 
    Do I REALLY need Mocha? Hitfilm 2 works OK on my system but I'm not sure why I'm running into this problem?
    I do feel you. Mocha's online documentation isn't the best, and it's a tough program to come to grips with. That said, I took about 20-25 tries at my first solve to get it to work correctly. Since then (now that I know what I'm doing) it's pretty fast and solid to use.
    Now--what are the parameters of the shot you're doing. There's a few tricks for mocha that are scattered through the varied tutorials, and once I noticed them things went easier for me.
    First: Remember that your spline isn't your track. The spline is what mocha uses to determine your track. But the surface you place determines how mocha will interpret the spline.
    Second: Mocha wants a LARGE spline and a SMALL surface---this hint alone is what took my failed tracks to 90% success tracks.
    Third: You don't have to track a spline throughout an entire shot. You can track for only half a shot if you have something being occluded or that moves off screen. That said, if you're only doing partial tracks, you need to overlap all your partial and full tracks because mocha needs to see at least two planes at all times to do a 3D solve. (Unless it's a tripod shot.)
    Fourth: Besides the FXHome tutorials, here's a 90 minute camera solve tutorial from Imagineer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI1SQbfL-4w
    Fifth: Here's two imagineer tutorials specifically for Mocha Hitfilm
    http://vimeo.com/52226953
    http://vimeo.com/54818695
    Sixth: Do you NEED MOCHA Hitfilm? That depends. Mocha Hitfilm does one thing, and one thing only. Generates 3D camera solves from footage. If you don't need this type of tracking, you don't need Mocha at all. If you DO need to do some sort of camera solving, and Mocha Hitfilm isn't working for you, your other options are software like Syntheyes and PF Hoe, which are point trackers and work in a fundamentally different way from mocha.
    Thank you for the reply and the videos. I was thinking of sending back my Hitfilm software to the sender but I'm sure ill probably keep on using it. I'm sure this has happened to people before but I was trying to do an orb in my hands with the camera stationery. Again, it's the first time I'm using the program so maybe all I need is a little patience.
    Ok. Orb in hands is odd. The mocha webinar I linked has this near the end, but, to sum up. Do a camera solve for the stationary objects in frame. AFTER the camera solve, track your hand. Then export your data to Hitfilm. Look on this forums tutorials wall for "Creating the procedural energy ball 2--tracking" and it's part 3--compositing. Axel goes into more detail, but, again, if tracking a moving object, order of operations is track background, camera solve, track object, export. When exporting from mocha you can select which nulls go to Hitfilm by turning layers off and on in mocha, so you probably only need to export the hand track layer.
    The 90 minute webinar linked above has a segment where theytalk about tracking a stationary camera, then tracking a face, then attaching an object to a face, sstarting at about 1:02:00. The Fxhome tutorials are Energy Ball, parts 2 and 3. ASSUMING you own a smartphone or tablet I recommend getting a youtube downloader, and downloading the tutorials to the tablet or phone. Then you can watch, pause, stop, rewindwhile still in mocha and/or hitfilm.
    These are the notifications I'm getting with Mocha. I'm following the Orb in Hand tutorials that Hitfilm provided for Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBo141Jb6hI
    6.jpg
    3-1.jpg2-1.jpg
    Ok. The shot is completely static? No pan, tilt zoom? Try making sure perspective and shear are unchecked. Double check focal length. If you shot wide angle and tell mocha it's telephoto can goof things. Move your tracking splinea somewhere else? Couple screen grabs of footage might help figure out a good plane.
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited August 2013
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff
    How many splines did you use to track the background, i.e. the stationary part of the frame?  Make sure that the person moving, or any other moving objects, don't enter into the area of the splines you are using to track the stationary background.  I would probably use one big spline to contain everything in the frame that isn't moving, and animate its shape to ensure it avoids any of the movement.  Make sure Perspective and Shear are disabled, set up a Surface for the layer once its tracked, and make sure the surface stays stationary.  Once the track is good, the solve should be quick.