More than one light slows down slows viewport on Mac Pro

Mobius
Mobius Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in HitFilm

Ive just been trying the demo of the latest Pro version and  was thinking of buying  but I think I  may have just found a problem when using more than one light in a scene that includes a 3D object.

More than one light (any type) makes the viewport very slow making it unusable, I've tried a simple un animated obj cube and a animated alembic file and its exactly the same, strange thing is, its happening even if in disable lighting from the viewport options.

Am I doing something wrong?

My system is:

Mac Pro Late 2013 running El Capitan 10.11.4
3.5 ghz 6 core intel xeon e5
64 gig ram
2 x AMD Fire Pro d500

Hitfilm 4 Pro update 6 (demo)

Thanks

M

Update:  Ok just noticed if i switch off lights and shadows from viewport options it speeds up again but that cannot be right as iam just using a simple obj cube with no textures or anything and cast shadows on both lights is disabled.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out

You have 1200 dollar worth of GPU, but afaik hitfilm rims better on gaming GPUs. Have you tried disabling 1 of the GPUs incase this is a crossfire issue?

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

@KevinTheFilmmaker is right HitFilm doesn't support workstation cards like yours

• Mobius

ok thanks for the info, maybe they should mention this on the info pages about the product.

• [Deleted User]

I can't find anything either.

Response from Staff.

Workstation cards rely on OpenCL and CUDA (in the case of NVIDIA) to boost performance. HitFilm runs in OpenGL.

Of course, workstation cards also support OpenGL, so generally HitFilm will still run on a workstation card. But it has not been tested or optimized for them at all, so we can't speak to how well it will perform on them. In addition, you can get equivalent OpenGL performance on a consumer card for much less money. So we recommend going that route instead, since none of the potential performance benefits of a workstation card will apply to HitFilm.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

Workstation GPUs are the same as consumer/gaming GPUs. Some things are enabled in the workstation cards. e.g. 10-bit monitor support.

The GPU (aka hardware) has no clue what Direct3D, OpenGL, OpenCL, or CUDA are. They are just "simple" resources that perform certain basic tasks. All the rest comes from the driver and/or the API. OpenCL and/or CUDA are a different animal from OpenGL or Direct3D. GL/Direct3D are 3D modeling APIs. OpenCL/CUDA are generic parallel compute programming languages with support libraries. They don't know or care about 2D or 3D or even if a display monitor even exists.

It is interesting that someone from FxHome staff stated that workstation cards rely on OpenCL and/or CUDA. This is wildly inaccurate. The historic traditional workstation graphics app has been 3D modeling apps and OpenGL is the API that they always used for fast working(edit) textured/shaded previews.

There was even an era when Nvidia obviously limited the performance of the OpenGL drivers of consumer cards to protect the sales of workstation cards because the GPUs were the same. People hacked the consumer GPU BIOS to make their card appear to be a workstation card so they could run the workstation OpenGL driver on the consumer card. Nvidia of course made changes so people could not do those tricks.

Workstation cards have traditionally had the best OpenGL implementations.

• [Deleted User]
    edited July 2016

I find that odd as well. Workstation cards should be way better than gaming cards in HitFilm, especially since they focus so hard on viewport on those cards.

Interesting information @NormanPCN, I quoted AxelWilkinson from: https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/40061/hitfilm-is-sluggish-and-unresponsive-immediately-after-opening-feels-like-a-graphics-issue

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

Workstation drivers actually tend to be quite  bit different with application specific versions as opposed to just one general purpose version.

• Mobius
    edited July 2016

So seems you guys are saying that Hitfilm should/could run fast on a Mac Pro's workstation GPU using Open GL....but it doesn't and staff recommend using a low end consumer GPU which, as you will all know, is not possible with a Mac Pro

I have to say, to loose that much performance with  one basic obj cube and just 2 lights and no animation is not good at all.

I hope the staff  read this thread and make it clear on the product info pages that Hitfilm's 3D performance will be low when  running the software on a Mac Pro
  • TriFlixFilms
    TriFlixFilms Posts: 924 Just Starting Out*

Yeah I agree... I take HitFilm seriously and think it has potential to be considered a 'professional' editor/vfx software. But using professional hardware should be something a professional software would have not issue with. 

Hope this gets sorted out as I do want to get the next gen of Titan equivalent.

This discussion has been closed.