Mocha Top Tips request please

luxgudluxgud Website User Posts: 128
I'd be grateful if someone could compile a list key fundamental 'dos and donts'  for using Mocha. In other words, a brief list of important things to remember when tracking and solving.
I can see that Mocha is a great tool but it needs a lot of user decisions and knowledge to use it successfully. For example, I still get drifting sometimes even though I achieve solves of 85% or more. Also, sometimes my camera is too far away even though I have two co-planer planes ... ??
Martin and Mary (from Imagineer) and Axel are really excellent web tutors but sometimes it can all get a bit overwhelming trying to assimilate all the pearls of wisdom.
Thanks

ps. This would be cool in Hitfilm
http://www.coremelt.com/products/slicex-powered-by-mocha.html

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador
    First two quick-tips: mocha likes a large tracking spline, but a small blue surface. That nugget was buried in an Axel tutorial, and that alone made my tracks much better.
  • luxgudluxgud Website User Posts: 128
    Hi Triem23 - that's exactly what I meant, I would never have figured that out.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador
    Yeah, it's not in the manual or official imagineer tutorials. That hint is found in. Axel's Tracking the Energy Ball tutorial.
    Another thought is to get a youtube downloader for Windows and download the mocha tutorials. If you have a tablet or smartphone you can transfer the tutorials and play them back with Hitfilm open on your PC. Then you can back up or skip around the tutorials looking for the info you need without leaving Hitfilm.
    would 2 planes on a surface be better than one larger plane,  for example ?
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    On Imagineer system's website they have free tutorials on the fundamentals of mocha.
    I'm talking about a simple quick list of received wisdom, not just for me but others who are new to Hitfilm/Mocha
    The four corners of the Blue Planar box determine the position of the nulls in Hitfilm (or other app)
    Obvious when you think about it ...... ie when you think about it :)