SciFi Short

MarkOmMarkOm Website User Posts: 63
Hey all
I havn't posted anything for a while but I have been still visiting and checking things out. The last short film that I made has been submitted into two short film festivals, got into one, and still awaiting for the other. For those of you that may remember, it was the one with the guy putting the baby into the portal first. 
Anyways I am planing now to create something bigger and so I have been working on 3D models and I am very happy with the result. Below is what I have created so far and I still have much more to go as I am still to push the boundaries on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lCIXL1LDkg
All the models were created by me except the brown one as that was created using a greeble set. I am using blender to create the all the motions, exporting them (6 hours for 38sec) and then importing it into Hitfilms for a clean up. Let me know what you think in the hopes that I may improve it. 
Thank you 
Marko

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,308 Ambassador
    You should check the community project thread. And earlier version of your animation is cited there as an example of good work. I liket the new lighting of the current version, and the motion path and camera move is nice. However, the scale of the cruiser isn't quite working for me--the lighted panels read as window arrays to me, but they are too small in comparison to the fighters. The AA fire could use some glows or flares, and the engines. Hmmmm. Can you export motion tracking or camera data from Blender to Hitfilm? That would make some of that easier. It's a solid shot, and I think you can get it to WOW!
  • spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,837 Ambassador
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    Hey Mark, I've been following your work because we are tryin to do something similar as a community project.
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    I really enjoyed this!  The movements looked pretty good!  I agree with Triem, the weapons fire could use a little bit more punch to them.  As for the larger ships lens flares, did you do those in HitFilm?  It was a bit distracting having them flicker on and off as the camera rotated around the ship.
    Is just the camera movement info exported from Blender into HitFilm or is this scene exported from Blender and then composited in HitFilm?  If the models were imported into HitFilm checkout Simon's thread showing his rotating ship with lens flare thrusters 'on' while the ship was rotating in circles.  I believe he explains how he went about it, it might help :) 
    Either way, I like where this is going!  It has a lot of potential!  Good job :D
  • MarkOmMarkOm Website User Posts: 63
    As for the larger ships lens flares, did you do those in HitFilm?  

As I am using the Blender Internal engine, I am doing alot in post, and the lens flares I have done in HFU2

However, the scale of the cruiser isn't quite working for me--the lighted panels read as window arrays to me, but they are too small in comparison to the fighters. 

That is because the smaller ships are closer to the camera. When I was setting up the scale, I put the smaller ships next to the windows on the larger one and created the scale from there. 

The issue that I am having with doing this in HFU2 is that when I import the models, it's as if they have holes in them. I can take some screenshots and show you guys, but I havn't set much time to looking into why it is happening. 
    The other thing is that I am unable to create a smooth path for the ships to follow. I find that it is fine in the ships are going from point A to point B in one line but throwing in a curve is a pain the bum. 
    3rd thing from playing around this morning is that the orienting through 3D space is a little bit of a nightmare, but that might be because I am so used to Blender that I need to just learn the work flows. 
    I will have another crack at it tomorrow morning, but I will go from there. Just as I am writing this an idea popped into my head about importing camera paths from blender and attaching the models to it. That would give me an export of the curve.. hmmm.. I will look into this
    But thank you very much for the feedback, I will take it away and go from there. 
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,308 Ambassador
    Ok, so the fighter scale is right, and it's just my eyes playing tricks on me.
    3D motion and cameras in Hitfilm are still trickier than in some software. Right now Hitfim doesn't have any ways of tracking orientation or camera targetting to a layer or null point. Once the team add that, complex model and camera moves will be easier. But, since you can export the Blender camera to Hitfilm there's got to be a workaround. You could maybe set up a render that's just engines and another that's just the AA fire. That way you can do speedier renders of those elements, comp them into Hitfilm for glows and flares?
    Mark, don't you have an animation where you pull out of these fighters to show a mid sized cruiser, then a huge cruiser? You should pull that into this thread, too.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    I think the scale is an issue due to the lack of detail on the large ship. The windows are the only thing informing the scale, really, while the rest of the ship's surface is quite smooth and flat. There's a bit of detailing on the side struts, but those details look like vents or some sort, like you might get on the side of a building, which then makes it look smaller than it should be.
    Maybe take a look at some shots from Battlestar Galactica, Alien and Star Wars to see how they go about creating a sense of scale - often it's through lots of random detailed geometry.
  • Sci Fi Ecstasy ChannelSci Fi Ecstasy Channel Website User Posts: 48
    I have been watching this on the movie wall, it's a really good start. Aside from scale issues, the only other problem, and one basically pointed out by Simon, is the lack of texture in the cruiser.
    Texture is what makes a 3D model look like a poractical model. There's a great thread by StormyKight here where he goes back and forth with Spydurhank on texturing in Blender. Although I haven't gotten into 3D modeling yet, I have downloaded blender and plan on reviewing their comments and tutorials when it comes time to do so.
    You might find their information useful.
    Until then... I just enjoy watching the work you have posted thus far. Keep it up!
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

As I am using the Blender Internal engine, I am doing alot in post, and the lens flares I have done in HFU2

That is because the smaller ships are closer to the camera. When I was setting up the scale, I put the smaller ships next to the windows on the larger one and created the scale from there. 

The issue that I am having with doing this in HFU2 is that when I import the models, it's as if they have holes in them. I can take some screenshots and show you guys, but I havn't set much time to looking into why it is happening. 
    The other thing is that I am unable to create a smooth path for the ships to follow. I find that it is fine in the ships are going from point A to point B in one line but throwing in a curve is a pain the bum. 
    3rd thing from playing around this morning is that the orienting through 3D space is a little bit of a nightmare, but that might be because I am so used to Blender that I need to just learn the work flows. 
    I will have another crack at it tomorrow morning, but I will go from there. Just as I am writing this an idea popped into my head about importing camera paths from blender and attaching the models to it. That would give me an export of the curve.. hmmm.. I will look into this
    But thank you very much for the feedback, I will take it away and go from there. 

I had the same problem with holes in my models. Spydurhank put together a video explaining what was going on. It's on my Room for Improvement post. There are some pics demonstrating the problem on page 1. The vid is at the top of page two. Hope this helps.....it helped me. I also have learned that if I move things too much in Blender i.e. extrude something and then try to put it back rather than undoing the change, it seems to create this type of glitch. I can't tell you how often I've started over with a model and finally gotten it right the third or fourth time. I think I'm getting the hang of it now.
    http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/3743-room-for-improvement/page-1