Slow Motion

BriceBrice Website User Posts: 11

I was trying to get a slow motion effect on my video.
I am using Express 2.
Is there a way to do this?
Thanks !

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff
    Add a Speed effect and set the value to something between 0.00 and 1.00, depending on how slow you want it.
  • BriceBrice Website User Posts: 11
    I'm not seeing the speed effects.
    How do I get to that effect?
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Staff
    In the search window at the top of the effects panel, type "Speed."  Or open the Temporal folder and navigate down to it.
  • BriceBrice Website User Posts: 11
    Thanks for your help !!!!!!
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador
    Note that, while you can set speed to anything between 0 and 1, your best results will be 0.5 or 0.25
  • kaiu08kaiu08 Website User Posts: 1
    When I add the speed effect, the video becomes choppy. can you help?
  • mark_emark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    When I add the speed effect, the video becomes choppy. can you help?

what fps is it shot at and how much are you trying to slow it down, my understanding is it's not going to do any optical flow and lets say you have 25fps and you slow it down by 0.75 then if you have something like 7fps playing back in a 25fps time line it's going to have to duplicate frames and is going to look choppy.
    If you shot the footage at a higher fps i.e. 50, 60, 100, 120 with a faster shutter speed and then play that back on a 25/30 fps time line at half speed it will look nice and smooth.  If not you need to use optical flow tools outside of hitfilm to try and interpolate the theoretical missing frames but if you didn't shoot the scene with this in mind and there's lots of blur and stuff moving at different speeds your results will not be great either.

When your system becomes incapable of processing your timeline smoothly in real time, I'd suggest using the RAM preview.  At some point, you are bound to run into a situation where the timeline contains more effects and video than your system can handle in real-time.  This point will vary based on the system, effects, and video involved, but it is exactly the type of situation that RAM preview is designed for.  Preview render to RAM, and then you can play it back smoothly regardless of what the timeline involves.
  • AH_ZombifullAH_Zombifull Website User Posts: 1

It's only slowing the video down, not the audio. (I too am using HitFilm 2 Express.)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

Hitfilm doesn't slow down the audio. If you have Vegas or Premiere or FCP, those will slow video and audio. Otherwise, Audacity is a free audio editor you can use to slow audio. @Tooshka recommends a different free editor., the name of which escapes me. Hopefully he'll see the tag and post it here. 

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

In a video I recently did, which is posted in my VFX thread, the actor said the lines too slow. I sped up the video 25% and in Sony's Sound Forge I sped the audio up 25%. I put them together in HF and darned if it didn't match up perfectly! I didn't even have to trim or line anything up.

• HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    edited October 2014

If for some reason the need/desire to slow audio down by both reasonably useful (say, from 5 seconds into 10 seconds) and absurd/insane factors (if you want to stretch a 5 second audio clip into, say, a 15 minute one...like they did a while back and turned a Justin Beiber track into an ambient soundscape LOL), PaulStretch is for many the cheap (as in, free) go-to tool of choice if you want to do so with offline audio files, i.e. you have to use it on the standalone audio, not as a plugin within Sony Vegas, etc. This might not be the tool you'd want to use for precise audio slow-downs sync'd perfectly to video, but can still be useful for various things (especially for sound-design/textural creation, and ambient artists). :)

http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

• KKCoderKKCoder Website User Posts: 1

How come the length of the clip remains the same when you apply the speed effect?

Hitfilm's Speed effect is a bit odd and unintuitive. Move the clip you want to slow-mo into a Composite Shot and add the Speed effect. Adjust the length of the Composite Shot (not the video layer, the whole Comp) to the length you need (i.e. For a four second video at half speed, make an eight second Composite Shot), then bring this into your main timeline as an embedded composite. 

• RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    edited August 2015

To clarify what @Triem23 is saying, you need to apply the speed effect to the new composite shot you created on the original timeline, and not the layer you actually wanted to slow down. So you'll have two timelines:

Timeline 1:
    Composite Shot 1
    - Speed effect applied to the composite shot here

Composite Shot 1: (which is the length of the final, slowed down clip)
    Video clip at the start of the composite shot, leaving empty space after it

• NickMasaoNickMasao Website User Posts: 1

It doesn't work on mine. I'm using HF 3 Express. I add the speed effect and slow it down a bit. The clip doesn't show in the preview window it is completely dark. The audio plays at full speed though. Please help.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    edited August 2015

What you have to remember regarding the speed effect- the default speed (or normal) is 1.00. If you want a vid slowed down 50% then set the speed to .5 or 75% set it to .25  - you don't need to adjust it very much to get it to slow down. This will not slow the audio so if you want the audio to be slow as well, then you'll have to use an audio editor like SoundForge or Audacity which is free and can be found here: hhttp://audacity.en.softonic.com/ttp://audacity.en.softonic.com/

To further understand the process read the comments above as they go into more detail regarding how to put the clip into a composite shot. Hope this helps.

• feraloidiesferaloidies Website User Posts: 3
    edited January 2016

Thank you guys SO MUCH I have been trying to drag the number below 0, and like @NickMasao said it just blacks out. tried it with .5 and it worked! 

I am going to try out the sound editor you recomended. It's a bit of a pain that hitfilm doesn't slow the audio.

While I'm here, when I speed things up, there's always a big black chunk and I generally export it then re-cut out the black parts. it's there a better way to do that?

feraloidies - You're welcome. :^)  I too wish HF could slow the sound down with the video but in a post above I note that exporting the sound and dropping it into another program worked just fine and saved a ton of work on a video correction...that being the delivery by the actor was too slow.

• War_On_StarsWar_On_Stars Website User Posts: 2

why when i put the number to something less than zero it goes black because i have a high frame rate camera that does 60p i can slow it down more i know i can how can i do that?

• War_On_StarsWar_On_Stars Website User Posts: 2

i can slow down 30p to 0 and it not be choppy. im using hitfilm 3 express. 60p should be more slow than what it is now

@War_On_Stars the number you put in there is meant as a a multiplier to the video's speed, so 1 is 100% speed, 2 is 200% speed, and .5 is 50% speed. Therefore, 0 means the video is freezed, and any negative value actually makes it run backwards. If you set the value to 0 at the very beginning of the clip, it will try playing the video backwards from the first frame of the video, where there isn't any content - thus, what you see is just black.

If you want it slowed down more, try inputing numbers closer to 0 - 0.1, for example, to make it run at 10% of the speed.

• orangepeelorangepeel Website User Posts: 87

A couple weeks ago I filmed something in 50fps and slowed the speed down to 0.5 (so it should be running in half speed-25fps) but the video was still choppy and had duplicate frames. Is this normal?

edited October 2015

@orangepeel A few things to consider here - what's the framerate for the timeline you're working on? If it doesn't match or isn't a multiple of your target frame rate then frame duplicating is to be expected. Also, what exactly is choppy - the exported video, or just playback during editing? Depending on your computer, the speed effect can dig into your resources. A 50% slowdown means double the frames to process in the same time, if you're unlucky.

One thing to keep in mind if you want just a simple overall slow-down, you might actually be better off by just going into the properties of the clip in the media panel, and setting its framerate down to 25 in your example. It's just easier than using the speed effect, but it's not feasible if you want to actually cahnge the speed during the clip.

Robin, he actually probably shot 50i not 50p.... 

• beautylettebeautylette Website User Posts: 1
    edited January 2016

Having the same problem as this commenter, Didn't see an answer though, Would be great if someone could help out ! :)

It doesn't work on mine. I'm using HF 3 Express. I add the speed effect and slow it down a bit. The clip doesn't show in the preview window it is completely dark. The audio plays at full speed though. Please help.

• IronGollumIronGollum Website User Posts: 1

I put the slow motion effect in and it goes black too. help please.

The only thing I can think of is: if your speed setting is below zero you'll get a black screen. 1.00 is the normal playback setting so .75 slows the video down by a quarter (25%), .50 would be slowing the video down by half (50%) and .25 would be slowing the vid down 75%.

If you still get a black screen you might want to submit a support ticket.

• StruckStoneHDStruckStoneHD Website User Posts: 3
    edited January 2016

Where can you find the speed effect? I can't find it in ''effects''.

Grtz Ken

@StruckStoneHD It's in the "Temporal" folder in the effects panel. The fastest way to find it though would be to simply type "speed" into the search box at the top of the panel :)

What version of HitFilm are you using, though? I'm not sure if the speed effect is present in the Express versions.