TimeLine Audio Visual Option

So im trying to make a video to match up exactly to audio and is being all hand keyframed and I have a problem. The problem I have is its super hard to edit it to match up without a visual representation kinda like the media preview thing on the timeline where the keyframes are.  If anyone has used camtasia studio then you can know/see that when you place audio it shows all the wavelengths and such so you can do such things. Problem is hitfilm does not have this as an option that Im aware of.
Any ideas or tips on how I could achieve the ability to do something like that?
Thanks

Comments

• SilentwisherSilentwisher Website User Posts: 28
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador
    Well... You imply you have camstasia... This is a bit of a workaround, but, since Hitfilm doesn't (yet) display audio waveforms, could you do a video in camstasia where you turn on mouse click graphics, and play back the music, clicking where you want events to hit the music, then bring that video into Hitfilm for visual reference. The only other idea I have is taking your EDL into another NLE (like Vegas) that shows audio waveforms, but that's throwing money and a learning curve at your issue.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador
    Or (I don't have camstasia) if you can edit in camstasia, do a video to your music of black and put in a single frame of color where you want keyframes. Color code, even--blue for transform, red for scale? I know it's a clunky workaround, but that, or getting software that shows audio waveforms are my only ideas.
  • Nate066Nate066 Website User Posts: 191
    edited July 2013
    Hitfilm 2 does display audio waveforms in the editor, so just use the editor instead of the composite window.

[attachment=615:HitFilm_2_Audio_WaveForms.PNG]
    Oh, DUH! *Slaps self on forehead*
    (Sorry, I am primarily a Vegas editor [Unless forced into a different NLE for work], and am basically treating HitFilm as a shot creator, so I don't use it's editor timeline much....)

Wait, Nate, if Silentwisher is creating 3D effects, composites, atomic particles, etc etc to keyframe to music, he CAN'T use the editor window---I go back to making a guide video.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Yeah, currently the workflow is a little tricky if you're creating composite shot visuals that need to time to audio. The workflow was designed primarily with visual effects in mind, whereby the sound mix would be done afterwards. Definitely something we could look at in future.
  • jmajma Website User Posts: 84
    ..and include an audio levels visual ;D

For starters I would like to say Thank you for everybody to respond to this post.

Hitfilm 2 does display audio waveforms in the editor, so just use the editor instead of the composite window.

attachicon.gifHitFilm_2_Audio_WaveForms.PNG

This method would not work for what I'm trying to do.

Wait, Nate, if Silentwisher is creating 3D effects, composites, atomic particles, etc etc to keyframe to music, he CAN'T use the editor window---I go back to making a guide video.

Correct I would not be able to use the above method for syncing audio with effects.

Yeah, currently the workflow is a little tricky if you're creating composite shot visuals that need to time to audio. The workflow was designed primarily with visual effects in mind, whereby the sound mix would be done afterwards. Definitely something we could look at in future.

I really hope you can implement a feature that would work for this kind of thing I would really appreciate it and I'm sure what the only one that would use it. I will be watching the update page :-)

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    This is not perfect, but some may be able to use it until something better can be found. It works good enough to sync audio recorded on other devices to the camera when a slate/clapper is used.

If you want to play with it, drop a video with sound into Composite Shot 1. Make sure it's the bottom layer. Next, go into effects for Frame for Audio Wave and in Atomic Particle under Audio Interaction, select your video/audio as the Audio Layer.
    This was done quickly, so I'm sure there is lots of room for improvement. If anyone does improve it, please share on the forum.
    http://youtu.be/eoa2GAHHAOo
    [attachment=621:SoundWave4Forum.hfp]
    So, a guide video. ;-)
    This is not perfect, but some may be able to use it until something better can be found. It works good enough to sync audio recorded on other devices to the camera when a slate/clapper is used.

If you want to play with it, drop a video with sound into Composite Shot 1. Make sure it's the bottom layer. Next, go into effects for Frame for Audio Wave and in Atomic Particle under Audio Interaction, select your video/audio as the Audio Layer.
    This was done quickly, so I'm sure there is lots of room for improvement. If anyone does improve it, please share on the forum.
    http://youtu.be/eoa2GAHHAOo
    attachicon.gifSoundWave4Forum.hfp

Oh cool, I will give this a try.

• GKDantasGKDantas Website User Posts: 133
    I like the idea to show sound waves in the preview window! Its far better to see what you are doing.
  • HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    I'm still really hoping for audio waveforms in the composite shots soon as well, especially considering how much of what I do is specifically based around audio as the primary factor instead of the other way around. And having functionality like the Atomic Particle's audio interaction makes the desire even stronger; I just finished a music video project that was heavily utilizing this feature and it was really a pain not having that kind of visual representation there.
  • GKDantasGKDantas Website User Posts: 133
    Well another way to sync audio that I am using right now, but you need a clean Editor Timeline:
    1 - Load your video
    2 - Load your audio
    3 - Sync then in the regular way
    4 - Trim or cut the audio to start at same time the video file (if you need to cut the video also do now)
    5 - Create a composite shot with the video and mute the audio file
    6 - Create a new composite shot with the audio file only
    7 - Load the Audio Composite shot inside the video composite shot
    Simple but works