1080 and 720 in same project

Hi guys, 

As a very new starter, I've been trying to create a project using footage from both 1080 and 720 sources. If I select 1080 when starting the project, the 720 footage appears too small, and if I select 720 at the start, the 1080 stuff doesn't fit into the viewing frame. If possible, I'd rather not have a film which jumps between filled frame and footage floating somewhere in the middle of the screen with a black border around it. 

I imagine there's a very simple explanation, but I haven't come across it yet, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance for any help offered. 

Comments

• inScapeDigitalinScapeDigital Website User Posts: 715 Just Starting Out

Adjust the Scale property in the Controls panel under Transform.

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited June 2016

Yep, set the project to the smaller size (720), then scale down your 1080 footage to fit the frame. You can do this by adjusting the Scale, in the Transform controls for the footage as @InScapeDigital mentions, or just right-click the 1080 footage in the Editor and select Transform > Fit to Frame.

• DiveDiveDive88DiveDiveDive88 Website User Posts: 4

Thanks so much guys! Good answer and decent patience with a newbie. Much appreciated!

• HitFilmer207130HitFilmer207130 Website User Posts: 4

i like the filmy look you can mess with with 720 footage.your cam has to be clear.its fun combining

I've had a go at the suggestions, but what I'm finding is that the 1080 footage is missing the outer edge. I haven't quite found out how to squish the full 1080 image into the 720 sized screen. As much as I move the image about or play with the size in transform, it doesn't bring any more of the outer edge into view. Any further thoughts?

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast
    edited July 2016

Scale it down in the Transform properties to 100 / (1920/1280) = 67%.

Or, if there is more 108op than 720p footage and you'd rather see the benefit of that in the final output, set the project to 1080p rather than 720p and scale up the 720p rather than scaling the 1080p down. The 720p stuff will be a little softer, but might not be too noticeably so.

Also remember to export at 1080p instead of 720p.

Thanks Palacono. I'll give it a go.