YouTube plays fine, Video Download Capture plays fine. Hitfilm video/sound terrible

CareWarriorCareWarrior Website User Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm urgently trying to download and edit a video from Youtube. I need to edit parts out and create about 5 short couple of minute grabs..

The video comes out poor quality compared to YouTube, and the sound is stilted terribly.. (if that's the right word)

Need help Urgently if possible..  

Yes, I'm new to HF, but loads of Computer experience.,

By The Way, it created a 14 GIG AVI file for a 5 minute clip? I'm obviously doing something wrong here. The 2 hr clip from YT was only 768 meg

thanks heaps in advance

Comments

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

Uncompressed AVI will probably play very choppily if your PC isn't up to handling the large file.

Save as MP4, turn up the quality setting to something acceptable to you, depending on size and framerate, you may need to change profile to above 4.0 to allow you to turn it up past 20 Mbps.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,250 Ambassador

If the source video was a YouTube download it's probably about 8 to 10 mbps. A 20mpbs mp4 will probably be fine. 

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador

2hr clip from Youtube... hmmm what the smeg length is the feature if 2hrs is a clip.

• CareWarriorCareWarrior Website User Posts: 4

Yep..  that worked better.. Went MP4 and runs much more smoothly..

Hahaha  Andy,,  the whole video is 2 hrs and the clip is 5 mins...

Even at 5 minute MP4 it's 168 meg..  Is that normal guys?

Palacono thank you so much for that..  Your a life saver...  well, a Campaign saver anyway..     .. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,250 Ambassador

"Normal" depends entirely on the bitrate you record at. 

Uncompressed 1920x1080 video in 8-bit color at 24 fps is a data flow of about 1140 mbps. Or about 142 MB per second. 

Mp4 compresses the hell out of this. If your video is 1920x1080/24 fps and 143MB for 5 minutes then you've compressed your footage at a ratio of 300:1

So, yes, 143MB for a 5-min clip isn't unreasonable. 

The original YouTube footage is probably a lot smaller, but the YouTube stream is really, really, really compressed to hell.  Now, mp4 is a "lossy" compression scheme. It throws away a lot of color information and fine details. YouTube streams are about 8mbps. I recommended you export at 20. Why? Because you started with crap, compressed footage and you're compressing it again. If you re-export at 8mbps your footage is going to look a hell of a lot worse than the source. Exporting at 20 is trying to provide headroom to retain quality. 

Thanks Triem23. I'm not looking for perfection this time.. just to get it up on Youtube and shared from there..  

Strange thing though..  it seems to want to extend to 6 minutes when my fill is only about 4 of actual video..  hmm...    (If I could work out how to send you a screen scrape, I'd send you what I mean.)

Sorry for the dumbass questions..  I appreciate your patience..

I'm off to the manual to work out how to add text..  6 instead of 4

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,241 Staff

This tutorial showing how to add text might be useful: