Importing Separate Audio Tracks?

RoboyedRoboyed Website User Posts: 4

Hey everyone, I am really new to Hitfilm 4 and was curious if there was anyway to import separate audio tracks. I primarily use video editing software to make gaming videos, with Mirillis Action! being my primary screen capture software. Action! has a feature where, I can record my commentary in a separate audio track apart the base sound track, it does this on the same media file (that is two different audio tracks, on the same media file). I can't seem to import the file with both tracks, when compared to Vegas 13 which seems to recognize both tracks. Am I doing something wrong with importing it, or does HitFilm not support this yet?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,278 Ambassador

Hitfilm only supports a single audio track in a video file. Since you already have Vegas you could use that to render out the second audio track as a WAV to import to Hitfilm. 

• RoboyedRoboyed Website User Posts: 4

Alright, thanks Triem. Do you by chance happen to know any programs that can split the tracks besides Vegas? If not then I could just export the video with the second track via Mirillis. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,278 Ambassador

Maybe Audacity? Always tricky for me to recommend non-Vegas, being a Vegas Pro owner. Just cuz I haven't needed other software. 

Alright Triem, thanks for your help dude. I'll try Audacity, if not then I'll do the Vegas method. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Audacity will do it as long as you have the FFMpeg plugin  installed

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

Here is an ffmpeg command that will extract the second audio stream from a video file. The second audio track is named the same as the source file with "_2nd" appended.

ffmpeg.exe -i %1 -vn -c:a pcm_s16le -map 0:a:1 "%~dpn1_2nd.wav"

Here is the command used in a windows command file. You can drag n drop any number of video files onto the command and it will extract the second audio stream from each.

@echo off

:top
    c:\systools\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i %1 -vn -c:a pcm_s16le -map 0:a:1 "%~dpn1_2nd.wav"
    if errorlevel 1 goto error

shift
    if NOT %1$==$ goto top
    goto :EOF

:error
    echo !!! error encoding !!!
    pause

Thanks all, Audacity and Vegas work fine, though Audacity will do it for me.