Freeze Framing

jobodhobojobodhobo Website User Posts: 49
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if there is any way to freeze your film to one frame, without going frame by frame duping it in a composite shot.
Thanks, Jobodhobo

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Use the Speed effect, keyframe it from 1.00 to 0.00 at the frame where you want the freeze to happen.  At a speed of 0, everything will stop.
  • jobodhobojobodhobo Website User Posts: 49
    Use the Speed effect, keyframe it from 1.00 to 0.00 at the frame where you want the freeze to happen.  At a speed of 0, everything will stop.

Thanks, that's just what I needed to know.

• rgbiirgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out
    Axel, a quick question. I really like this feature and have been using it over saving a frame to .tif or .jpg (one less file to keep track of).
    My questions is, do you know if this is better or worse performance wise over grabbing a frame to an image?
    Just curious
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    I don't know, sorry.  
  • CortosisCortosis Website User Posts: 4

Thanks, but when I apply the speed effect, the video freezes (like it should), but the audio keep on playing. Is this meant to happen, if so, how can I get the audio to pause, too?

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast
    edited June 2016

Related question: how can you get the audio to stay gone when you remove it from the Editor, make the clip into a Composite and it comes back again?

@Palancono - use the Mute control, in the Layer Properties.

@AxelWilkinson Had me scratching my head over this, because there isn't one in Layer Properties, but it's OK, found it. It's actually Right Click>Options >Mute :)

@Palacono - every Video layer should have a Mute option in the Layer Properties, just below Visibility.

@AxelWilkinson Ah, if you look there, but I Right Clicked on the Layer instead, when Layer Properties there brings up a Media Properties box, (Or on a Plane, a Plane Properties box) which doesn't have that.

But in Options (not available in the menu you showed) is Visible, Mute and Motion Blur. 

I know that "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" but sometimes I wonder if needing to solve a logic puzzle to access some of the simpler functions in Hitfilm isn't slightly putting potential customers off...

• THX1139THX1139 Website User Posts: 545
    edited July 2017

"Use the Speed effect, keyframe it from 1.00 to 0.00 at the frame where you want the freeze to happen.  At a speed of 0, everything will stop."

AxelWilkinson

Do you need to make it a composite clip in order to keyframe?

• HCederbladHCederblad Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out
    edited September 22

As a complete newcomer to the app, I wonder if there's any chance that the Speed effect approach to freeze-framing could cause any image degradation whatsoever, compared to the Export-frame-as-image-and-bring-back approach?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,281 Ambassador

@HCederblad it shouldn't. Actually, since Hitfilm always exports with anti-aliasing Speed/Rate Stretch might be "higher" quality, but more resource intensive.

• GeorgefilmLtdGeorgefilmLtd Website User Posts: 214 Enthusiast

I trim the layer down to one frame, then use the rate stretch tool to stretch it out, learned that from Jay Haynes

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

Probably best to close this thread since it originated in 2013!

This discussion has been closed.