YouTube compression causing audio problems?

vildtiger
vildtiger Posts: 5
edited July 2016 in HitFilm

Hello! So I recently made a CS:GO video (At 1920x1080, 59.9401 FPS, and 48000 Hz Audio quality) that I uploaded through HitFilm 4 Pro.  I watched the video over and I heard that the audio quality was unlike what it was during editing.  During editing the audio was crisp and clear like it was in my recording, but once I uploaded, the audio seemed way worse.  I don't know if this is the video processing still but this happened again the other day, with me then taking down the video.

Here is the link to the video: 

Thank you for taking your time to read this and giving an answer. :)

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,574 Ambassador

Most likely Youtube compression. Youtube's data compression is very extensive and greatly degrades the audio and video of pretty much anything uploaded.

I actually have a decent example here. Take a look about 2 min, 50 seconds in this video I did as a tribute to Hitfilm's departed Simon Jones:

Now, this video was cut together from footage downloaded from Youtube, then re-uploaded to Youtube. The original footage can be seen at about 2 min, 30 seconds in this video.

The original video is a lot clearer and crisper than the re-uploaded version in the tribute. This is solely because I downloaded video that had already been compressed by Youtube, which was recompressed by Youtube again.

So comparing both versions of that same "cymbal with particles" shot shows you just how much Youtube encoding degrades an image.

It does the same to audio. The source music file was a 48k, 16-bit WAV file which has a very "gritty" sound after hitting Youtube compression.

Or, to approach the issue another way, a video camera is likely spitting out footage at a 35 to 50 mbps data rate with 48k/16-bit audio encoded as a 192kbps mp3 stream. A Blu-Ray would be encoded with a 20mbps video rate and a 48Khz/16-bit audio stream in mp4 audio at 192kbps. Netflix or Hulu would stream 12-15mbps video with a 128Kbps mp3 audio stream. Youtube is streaming about 7-8mpbs video with 96kbps mp3 audio. This is about half the audio/video rates of a Netfilx stream, so one can see how audio/video quality is really taking a hit.

• vildtiger

Thank you for the help!

• vildtiger

I finally did figure out a way to get rid of this problem!  All you have to do instead of uploading straight to YouTube is to go to MP4 and set the level to 5.1 (or so) to render 1080p 60fps with no audio glitches!

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,204 Staff

@vildtiger could you try exporting directly to YouTube again please? We fixed something in HitFilm 4 update 6 relative to YouTube sound quality, I'm curious to know if it fixed your issue or not.

• vildtiger

@CedricBonnier I will do that and I will come back with the results!

• vildtiger

@CedricBonnier That did it!  Thank you!

• CedricBonnier
    CedricBonnier Posts: 1,204 Staff

@vildtiger Awesome! Please don't hesitate to let us know if you see anything that is not working properly ;)

This discussion has been closed.