Hi All

Hi Community,

I am new to Hitfilm and here is my first Wip in Hitfilm4 Express.

CC is almost welcome :D

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/171195978" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="">First Hitfilm 4 express test</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user658515">Olaf Koll</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Comments

• Yeremyah
    Yeremyah Posts: 995 Enthusiast
  • Andy001z
    Andy001z Posts: 3,152 Ambassador

You are most welcome and very impressive kick off you have there. Is that the Andrew Kramer pack I spot there?

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited June 2016

Very nicely done, :) although you might want to put a feathered mask around the bottom of that explosion when you blow the hole in the wall.

The sharp cutoff of the bottom of the frame of the footage is quite visible at about the 9 second mark. Rounding it off to be almost a circular bottom would probably blend it in better.

Also the masking around BB8 looks a tiny bit lumpy. perhaps adding some feathering to the edge of that would help it blend it a little more smoothly.

• TriFlixFilms
    TriFlixFilms Posts: 924 Just Starting Out*

If been made over 50 videos now and still have used a 3D model in one. I am beyond in pressed to see how well you animated that BB8! Great work man!

• inScapeDigital
    inScapeDigital Posts: 709 Just Starting Out*

@TriFlixFilms As HitFilm 4 Express cannot import 3D models, it seems the BB-8 was stock footage.

@Olafk Welcome to the community! Pretty well done for a first time HitFilmer, do you have experience with other VFX software?

As @Palacono said, you can adjust the edge of the BB-8 layer with the Matte Cleaner effect, but I'm not sure if that is in the base version of Express.

• TriFlixFilms

@inScapeDigital Well... what a creative and effective way of using it stock footage! Great work none the less.

• Olafk
    Olafk Posts: 11
    edited June 2016

Thanks at all,for your welcome,
    so let me answer some questions.

@Andy001z Yes there is the VC Starpack. I have the most work with it
    for this Shot. I import one obj in Blender and do some rework on the Model.So that i can render it out in the way i need it.
    Different Layer for the Backwall,Front,Floor and the Top.
    Then i was able to recreate the Location in 2.5D in Hitfilm.

@Palacano Yes i'm not so lucky with the result from the Expolosion.
    I have tryied some diffrent Stuff there,but nothing works as i hope.
    I can try to make something with Blender and his Particlesystem to get
    a better result. I think about to buy the Destruction Pack here for a good
    Solution.

@TriFlixFilm How inScapeDigital said Hitfilm can't import
    3d Models,so yes BB is Stock. Not the best Quality i think,but i was to
    lazy to animate him by myself in Blender.;D

@inScapeDigital Yes i have experience in AE,Blackmagic Fusion,a little bit of Nuke.

I have made a long Break in my Hobby,for more then 3 Years.
    I have looked at Hitfilm a long Time ago,as it was qalled only Hitfilm.
    Installed it and delete it.
    But now i have a new look at it and i'm impressed about what you can do with it.

In Hifilm Express it is so easy to make good Results in no Time.
    I have bought the StartePack here,so i have my loved Curves and Colorwheels back in it:D

Hitfilm has some Bottlenecks when it comes to 2.5D Compsositing,the speed goes drastical down.
    But my PC isn´t the best :D
    It runs stable and it is alot of Fun to Play with it.

Question! is there a way to get the Camera Data out of HF4E.
    I animate this Camera in Hitfilm,how can i get the Data from this in Blender,without
    tracking it there? No way i think or?

Greetings from Germany,
    Olaf
    (Sorry,my English isn't the best)

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

The explosion itself was fine, just put a mask around, it slightly cutting off that flat bottom of the frame and feather it so it blends into the rest of the footage.

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Posts: 477 Enthusiast

Olafk  I know there is an option to get camera data from Blender into Hitfilm but I do not believe it works the other way around, from Hitfilm to Blender. There is a post in the Hitfilm forums about were to get the add-on for blender to export camera and tracking points out to Hitfilm in a simple .hfcs .

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/4602/updated-blender-hitfilm-script

• Hi Olafk, 

I too am new to Hitfilm. I am a hobbyist in 3D modelling and digital sculpting, digital painting and animation. I have great interest in 2D & 3D softwares. 

• Olafk

@ FlyingBanana78  thanks for the link i will test it out.

@ RitaGeraghty then a great welcome too ;D

i think here is the right place to   learn much about hitfilm and film making.

i think we found a great community here :D

• Yeremyah
    Yeremyah Posts: 995 Enthusiast

@RitaGeraghty

I use Hitfilm + Blender for all my 2D and 3D stuff :)

• TriFlixFilms

All Autodesk products are free to people that can get a hold of a "student email" so: 3DS Max, Maya, ect...

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,080 Ambassador

Olaf, welcome to the forum. I think everyone else has covered any notes I'd have on your video, but it was a lot of fun!

Take a look at today's Hitfilm Channel tutorial. The tips Rody gives for compositing fire work for explosions too. Notice he uses curves to punch the alpha, then uses two layers of fire. Key tips for any pyro stock.

If you get the Destruction pack then you'll get the Fire effect. So look at this tutorial:

There is no way to export camera data FROM Hitfilm to anything else (as yet), so you'll probably want Hitfilm LAST in your production chain. Blender CAN export a camera--to import into Hitfilm you'll need to export in a Maya/.ma format.

If you need to matchmove video and don't want to spring for Mocha (although if you think you'll do a lot of roto in the future, mocha is worth the buy), then there's AutoDesk Matchmover, which is FREE! Works great and exports data in the .ma format which could be imported into both Blender and Hitfilm.

https://apps.autodesk.com/MAYA/en/Detail/Index?id=3330821554784584637&appLang=en&os=Win64

This is part three of a tutorial on matchmoving in Blender and exporting camera to Hitfilm. This should cover just exporting the Blender camera to Hitfilm. The first two parts are on the actual tracking parts of the task. Useful if you want to do your matchmove in Blender, but AutoDesk Matchmove is a lot easier. I figure if you're animating in Blender you only need to see the export camera part of this series.

Hope this is all helpful.

• Olafk

@ triem23

thank you very,very much bro. very useful infomation for me.You really

helped me out.

i have downloaded matchmover yesterday evening. i can say very well tracking and many tuning options in there.it will take a little while until  i work fast with this programm.

i will get the destruction pack in less then 5 minutes,because i see there is a need for me for some future shots that i am on.

and i found it a good way to support fxhome for this good software here.

thx triem