Camera Quality Issues

MoviesMaxwellMoviesMaxwell Website User Posts: 22
I have this issue with my camera, it's a Canon Vixia HF R30.  Whenever something in the frame moves it creates this Horizontal Pixels look. The problem only occurs while I'm working on the project in HitFilm.  Before I edit and after I finish it looks completely fine.  The attachment is a screenshot of what it looks like.  [attachment=614:Lines Problem.jpg]

Thanks So Much- MoviesMaxwell   :) 

Comments

• MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    That's called interlacing. Your camera takes videos at 60i. Which means 60 interlaced frames per second. Each "interlaced frame" is half of the next interlaced frame. So it is really taking 60 half frames per second. The result of that is the horizontal lines you see. If I'm not mistaken, computers/monitors adjust for this which is why in playback of the file you won't see it. However when you edit it, especially frame by frame, it will become very clear. If you want to edit without these lines you will have to deinterlace the footage before editing it. You can do this by converting it to a video file that is 30p or 24p. Both of which are progressive frames per second, meaning no half frames.
  • MoviesMaxwellMoviesMaxwell Website User Posts: 22
    Your welcome. I'm sure some people around here could have explained it better, so I'm glad it was sufficient.
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Just adding to Matthias' explanation: For digital editing, especially in HitFilm which doesn't support interlaced footage, it's generally the better choice to directly shoot progressive in the first place. So if your camera has the option to record in 24p, 25p, 30p or something like that you should use that setting instead of deinterlacing the footage afterwards.
  • MoviesMaxwellMoviesMaxwell Website User Posts: 22
    Thanks for the tip!
    The Canon HF R30 does not have native 30p or 24p if I'm not mistaken. They do have PF30 and PF24 which are Canon's attempt at converting the 60i footage in camera to 30p. I have little to no experience with this method as I always shoot in 60i on my Canon. I am certain, however, that there is no true progressive modes on the HF R30.
  • RobinRobin Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast
    Well in that case, forget what I just said - but keep it in mind if you ever get a new camera ;)