Nice kiddy montage

Comments

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador

Wow, that kid sure does encounter some strange scenarios! Neat stuff!

• TriFlixFilms
    TriFlixFilms Posts: 924 Just Starting Out*
    edited June 2016

Normally I can see thorugh how someone accomplsihed an effect... but several of these left me baffled without the help of 3d modeling software (which perhaps he used).

Great find!

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited June 2016

The original and best. ;)

From his YouTube About page:

"Description

My 4-year-old kid is awesome. He gets into some epic situations which remind me that life is an adventure.  Now his sister's getting into the action too. Buckle up.
    Subscribe and catch up on all his previous adventures here.

Before you ask:
    I do these videos completely in Adobe After Effects plus a few third party plugins.
    Yes, I will be posting tutorials as my schedule allows.

I do my best to read and reply to your comments.  Please keep it clean, :)  I'll do a little housekeeping if your language is trollishly profane.

c/o ActionMovieDad  - but you can call me Hashi."

Plus he does Tutorials.

• SteveKarstensen
    SteveKarstensen Posts: 335 Just Starting Out*

Good ol' Action Movie Kid.  I absolutely love these, especially the really non-sequitur ones.

• ThierryBergeron
    ThierryBergeron Posts: 11
    edited June 2016

I really need to get myself a kid to do that. 

• Dolores74
    Dolores74 Posts: 41
    edited June 2016

If this is a single dad with his son making short clips like that, those two work 48/7. 

I don't know about you guys but if I have to make a 1'30'' clip in Blender and Hitfilm (on my own) I need a whole year. For the modeling, not mentioning the render time. If you want some footage of two doves flying up, you're off for a whole weekend. Wich one of you just happen to have a shark on his back-up drive to use ?

If dad is in the picture too, than whom is holding the camera ? His mom ?

Adobe After Effects plus a few third party plugins. O realy ? Pleace give me a break.

There are more clips on this guy his YT channel than there are tutorials about Hitfilm. Hitfilm is 5 years old, the kid only 3.

Some people realy believe everything. These clips are made with a whole team and are seriously expencive.

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

Nope, @Dolores74 It's just one very talented guy. Watch his tutorials, like the last one in what I posted previously, or his channel here. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/theActionMovieDad

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out
    edited June 2016

Pretty sure he made it judging by the tutorials, it seems like he's just very smart when it comes to solving difficult problems. 

That must be why he works for DreamWorks. :)

• Dolores74
    edited June 2016

O really ? He may have started like that, presumably.

You model all the assets used in ‘Volume 4’, animate them and put them in your footage before the kid has kids of his own.

Do you think you can use ‘Frozen’ or ‘Starwars’ in your clip, go public with it and Disney or George Lucas let you get away with that for free ?

And where does he got the music from ? His wife just happens to be a composer ?

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016

If you look up his profile, it says

"Daniel Hashimoto"

He worked at

DreamWorks Animation
    Walt Disney Animation Studios

You should ask him how he's doing it. Probably rendering on their render farm, haha who knows. But the work seems to be done all by him, because his tutorials cover all of what's in a video.

• Dolores74

So here we are.

The clip I have posted a few day ago was only made with Hitfilm and Photoshop, it was done in a fortnight.

I just forgot to mention that the 3D models were made in Blender and I needed 3 years to make them.

I will not doubt the guy his skills, but it is not fair not to tell the whole story and to pretend that you are a dad with an awesome son having a lot of movie fun together.

If I had two multibillion companies behind me I can use their cameras and assets for free ...

How far away was I from the truth ?

• Who cares? Other than you?

• SteveKarstensen
    SteveKarstensen Posts: 335 Just Starting Out*
    edited June 2016

I just forgot to mention that the 3D models were made in Blender and I needed 3 years to make them.

You can also hit up any of the websites that supply professional-quality assets, drop a few bucks, and save yourself the headache.  Kinda like Simon did when he showed us a bunch of UFO, helicopter, and spaceship tutorials.

I will not doubt the guy his skills, but it is not fair not to tell the whole story and to pretend that you are a dad with an awesome son having a lot of movie fun together.

Erm, it takes all of five seconds to find out who this guy is.  I knew he was a professional FX artist before I ever saw his first video, because nearly every time they go viral, they're tagged with the dude's name and resume.  It's in his Wikipedia, every article written on his channel, and unless he changed it, the channel itself.  Nobody, least of all Daniel himself, is "lying" to anyone.  It's one hell of a demo reel, if you ask me (he also does freelance work).

And where does he got the music from ?

They have websites for that sort of thing, you know.

Do you think you can use ‘Frozen’ or ‘Starwars’ in your clip, go public with it and Disney or George Lucas let you get away with that for free ?

Yeah, actually.  Lucasfilm gives away their assets for free for fans to use in their films.  And if he's worked for Dreamworks and the like, he's totally allowed to use assets he's made for those companies in his own demo reels, which is what the AMK series is.  I used to do it when I worked in the games industry.  Prospective future employers actually expect it, which is why I hated working on private websites or other projects that I couldn't add to my portfolio.

Daniel's not lying to anybody or doing anything wrong.  Build a bridge and get over it.

Probably rendering on their render farm, haha who knows.

...not necessarily, but depending on the work it is possible to have a personal computer powerful enough to do this stuff remotely.  When Toy Story 2 infamously got wrecked because somebody mistyped a command in the shell, they managed to get an old version of the movie off of an artist's computer that she'd taken home to work on.  And given the kind of wow the folks here are doing in Hitfilm, I don't see much in the AMK videos that really couldn't be done on a high-end PC.  You don't need a render farm to do a lot of this guy's stuff.  And again, he's a freelancer.  By definition he has to be able to do this stuff on his own, with his own tools.  Companies that hire you as such expect it (...and it drove me nuts, everyone expected me to be loaded up with Photoshop and Adobe Flash and Visual Studio whatever else they thought I'd need).

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2016

I find that quite sad actually. That people expect you to do certain things in certain programs. That's to suit the workflow of others I'm sure, but I find it odd that it's not just the end result that matters. Go on any forum and watch how many people are going to try to force you on to Adobe, even for a project where it would be faster in a another program. It's just one of those things where I think becoming a VFX artist is very difficult if you don't like subscription models. Adobe are really taking advantage of that! :)

@SteveKarstensen - Hmm, you bring up good points!

I'm sure that some of his stuff aren't made on his own computer (rendered), or are just rendered all day while he's at work. That Polar Express Train scene though?!? It's ramming cars...

Unless it's just a shell in which case my comment looks ridicuous, hahaha.

• Dolores74
    edited June 2016

“You can also hit up any of the websites that supply professional-quality assets, drop a few bucks, and save yourself the headache.” 

That makes the difference between an artist and a craftsman my best friend.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

Key thing here for me is tutorials. I subscribe to AMK, but I never thought to look for a tutorial channel. 

Dan Hashimoto is currently doing design and TD work at Dreamworks, and, yes, he does AMK on his own, for fun. At least according to his co-worker, my cousin, Bert Poole (who tells me Dreamworks always has a mini-party when he brings in a new AMK). 

Daniel's specialty is compositing, and that's the tech focus of AMK. Yes, he'll purchase Turbosquid assets. If we want to get snotty about artist/craftsman, man isn't a modeller, and, frankly, there's nothing wrong with using someone else's model. Daniel does have multiple rigs at home, and they're pretty good machines. Honestly, every person working at his level has multiple rigs. 

Yes, he's using his own cameras. Has everyone forgotten how damn cheap cameras got in the last decade? And yes, Action Movie Mom is known to hold the camera. 

As far as getting out videos quickly, Daniel is probably better than we are. 

As far as there being "more AMK than Hitfilm tutorials," you're absolutely wrong here. There are 78 AMK videos, and, in the "Learning Hitfilm" sticky thread, there are close to 160 tutorials listed--and that list hasn't been updated since Aug, 2015, so the more recent tutorials aren't there. 

As far as modelling time goes, I know artists who can build and rig complex and beautiful models in a night. I'm not a modeller, but as my own skills grow I can now pit together things in an hour or two that would have taken days two years ago. I can reuse assets and templates and the experience jas turned tasks that I used to have to spend time experimenting with into routine work thay I can just whip out with zero effort. 

Why did a thread on the fun that is Action Movie Kid devolve into defending the work method?  It's 20-flipping-16 and free/cheap software like Hitfilm now has more power than million dollar edit suites from a decade ago. 

• TriFlixFilms
    TriFlixFilms Posts: 924 Just Starting Out*
    edited June 2016

I believe what is happening, I've experienced it before... is our friend Dolores is jealous of the creators work and in order to justify her content not achieving the same quality he produces begins to tear down their accomplishment. While it may strike some of the other forum regulars as rude, understand we are all human and face pride differently.

I really enjoyed the video but became frustrated when I could figure out how he made these... normally I have a concept on how the artist made peice and this one eluded me. I wouldn't justify it by tear down his work but to simply ask others... to which the reply was, "he has tutorial on his channel." We should take this time to learn from the fellow creator in stead of saying mean things.

As for the others defending this gentleman, great! But don't be rude to Delores in the process, she/he may be going through some stuff... we are all human. Be nice. That's the reason HF community is so great. #optimist

P.S. typed from Samsung Note 4, punctuation and grammar may be spotting at best... try to fill in the blanks haha

• [Deleted User]

I don't see any problems here but that's just me. I'm fairly new to the community so I've not experienced what the long term members have.