Express to Pro upgrade path?

braj
braj Posts: 75

I don't have the budget for Pro so I am planning on buying bits and pieces for Express starting next month. My question is: does HitFilm offer any discounted upgrade path to Express users eventually moving to Pro? I'm on a fixed income so my budget is not getting less tight, so the piecemeal approach is my only real option, but if I can edge my way there gradually, then Pro might be in my future. I was bummed to see the 3D objects removed from Express, as that was on my list to eventually get. 

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

Express Add-on packs do get factored into upgrades to Pro. That said, I am pretty sure it's not a 100%/Add-ons discount, but I don't know the ratio. 

General advice--in the long run you're likely better off saving for Pro now? Even purchasing every add-on doesn't give you all the features of Pro, and I suspect you would end up paying more overall. So carefully pick and choose the add-ons you buy. 

• SheepaKing
    SheepaKing Posts: 20

The add ons altogether cost more than just getting pro. It would be better to just save for pro now. Also, you don't get things like Mocha Hitfilm or Hitfilm Ignite. (tracker or effects)  

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast

You certainly can get mocha Hitfilm as an Add On; it's £40.21 or about $58.

• braj

Yeah, I don't know how much of the addons I will need quite yet. I am animating in Poser which takes forever to render complex lighting and depth of field etc. so I'm adding that in Hitfilm. I think with Hitfilm3 I would have spent $140 to get what I needed, now with V4 the OBJ support is gone, and I don't want to really spend $350 for Pro when my needs are rather basic. Anyhow, with V4 I have to admit I'm kinda bummed about the OBJ thing. I wish they would reconsider making that an option.

• braj
    edited June 2016

Basically what I was planning on with V3 was to use Hitfilm for 3d sets and Poser for character animation. It seemed ideal, then V4 came out and now, not so good for me :( 

• Triem23

Here are a few things to take into account. Hitfilm's 3D animation ability is primitive compared to Poser. No bones, no IK. No mesh deformation. You can define animation groups if those are set up in the model and hard-rig them into points. If you want to bring animation on you'll habe to export Alembic from Poser, which requires (I think) Poser Pro 11 (or, export from Poser to DAZ studio and export Alembic from there--which needs an $80 plug-in. 

Hitfilm 4 Pro is required for Alembic import. 

With your current setup you might be better off rendering your character as a pass on a transparent background and your set as a seperate render. In Hitfilm you would be able to combine both passes for DoF effects and other VFX or grading. 

Chances are the 3D models and Particle add-ons won't come back to HF4E: as I understand it those particular add-ons didn't really sell. Also, FxHome decided to move that to being a Pro-Only option to distinguish the two products. Finally, rather than HF3E users having to re-buy add-ons for HF4E, FxHome transferred those. However that means for add-ons like the Codecs pack or Mocha FxHome ate the licensing fees for those. Also, FxHome simplified the remaining packs, and several of those had new effects added. Effectively this means FxHome spent it's own money to allow HF3E to have a free upgrade. 

• braj
    edited June 2016

"With your current setup you might be better off rendering your character as a pass on a transparent background and your set as a seperate render."

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, I don't need rigging or anything fancy, I just need static objects like trees and buildings. That coupled with atmospheric and depth and I am fine. I know what I want, just it was $140, now it is $350. That's the drag. I checked if I could still buy the 3d plugin for V3 but no dice, I am assuming if you own the V3 3D plugin, it won't work in V4 Express. Anyhow. I may need to use a solution besides Hitfilm.

• Triem23

The HF3E add-ons for modela and particles will work in HF4e, but, yeah, the HF3 version is no longer available. 

Blender might be a good option. It's got a faster render engine than Poser and is free. Although Blender has a pain in the ass UI. 

• braj
    edited June 2016

Yeah, I know my way around Blender well enough, just that gets to be just too many apps to be in the pipeline. I need it simple. I didn't have great luck with rendering animation in Blender in the past either, and the materials stuff is painful sometimes. I have a hard time using a mouse and keyboard, I'm talking literally painful. Blender just feels too tedious at times.

Right now I'll plan to not move the camera much, that really is the draw to having the OBJs, I can move the camera and change perspective while compositing, I really like this workflow with the 2D planes in HF, it is very familiar because Anime Studio works in a similar way. Anyhow, if I move the camera just a bit, I can get away with using 2D renders in layers, get the depth of field and some 3d effect, just I have to be careful so it doesn't look like I'm working with cardboard. Poser and Hitfilm are great together IMO, I am disabled and won't be getting $350 I can devote on software any time soon, the Express model is perfect for me, I can use it right now and add to it, just sucks I didn't get the old V3 plugins when I had the chance. Oh well.