Are there other ways to optimize a system for hitfilm?

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
First, Let me be clear I did go to the Common Solutions sticky before posting this and I do keep pretty updated on my drivers.  Is there a way to optimize a system more then just the drivers?  I was not getting fluid playback when scrubbing through the time line.  I had Norton launch a warning saying that Hitfilm had maxed out a core of the cpu while working on a scene.  I had 5 models in the scene.  2 particle systems which were on at different times and spitting out very few particles.  first one 50 and turning off... the second one like 10.  I tried to rack focus.  There is no footage to be in the wrong format.  I've seen Axel and Simon do similar things with fluid playback.
Here is my system:
i7 3770k(already feels outdated even though I know capability wise its not)
P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT Motherboard
32 Gigs of Ram
EVGA 780 Superclocked(so  that's 3 gigs)
Corsair Force 3 SSD harddrive(43.9 gigs free)
The models are located on a Freeagent GoFlex USB 3.0 drive connected to a usb 3.0 (278 gigs free)

http://www.youtube.com/upload

Comments

• OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    First, Let me be clear I did go to the Common Solutions sticky before posting this and I do keep pretty updated on my drivers.  Is there a way to optimize a system more then just the drivers?  I was not getting fluid playback when scrubbing through the time line.  I had Norton launch a warning saying that Hitfilm had maxed out a core of the cpu while working on a scene.  I had 5 models in the scene.  2 particle systems which were on at different times and spitting out very few particles.  first one 50 and turning off... the second one like 10.  I tried to rack focus.  There is no footage to be in the wrong format.  I've seen Axel and Simon do similar things with fluid playback.
    Here is my system:
    i7 3770k(already feels outdated even though I know capability wise its not)
    P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT Motherboard
    32 Gigs of Ram
    EVGA 780 Superclocked(so  that's 3 gigs)
    Corsair Force 3 SSD harddrive(43.9 gigs free)
    The models are located on a Freeagent GoFlex USB 3.0 drive connected to a usb 3.0 (278 gigs free)

This is something I'm always trying to tweak as well:
    How complex are the models in your scene?  What are their face counts?  Do you have the preview window running at Max Settings?  - Motion Blur - Lighting - Shadows etc etc?
    USB3.0 is pretty fast, have you tried moving the models onto the same drive as the OS / Media so that everything is contained in the same space?  Just curious if that will help you out.  I tend to keep the current project I'm working on with all assets in the same location on the same drive (SSD).
    Is HitFilm the only application you're running?  From personal experience I've found Norton to be a bit of a resource hog. 
    It would be interesting to get a few details regarding the way Axel and Simon do their work:  Equipment, file type, placement of assets, background programs, in app (in HitFilm) settings when they are getting fluid playback. 

• MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    I was under the impression that things work faster if you have everything separate.  So instead of the OS reading its self and the software and everything in the same place it should be spread out.  A OS drive, an input media drive and an output drive. 
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador
    Generally, Michael, you are correct in that it's better to put your media on a separate drive from OS and software (and even have a separate drive for your render).

Orange Pekoe Media is right about Norton as well.

Ideally we'd all be able to edit on computers that have our multimedia software installed, and nothing else.

Before editing, it's often helpful to open Windows Task Manager and try and shut off everything running in the background you don't need. Norton hogs resources, and keeps checking your media files when accessed. If you have Steam on your pc, that's running in the background stealing time. If you have Quicktime installed, that is stealing resources. Flash and Java have Internet monitoring always running and stealingrresources. If you have any kind of system optimization running, that's eating resources, and so on.

Even software I DO use has modules that really don't need to load on boot. If you have Adobe stuff, then the Adobe Upgrade Manager is running in the background and can be shut off. Bridge loads parts of itself on boot--shut it off. Adobe software opens up just fine, even if you have turned off the bootloaded bits.

You might want to try searching the web for some kind of active software management tool that lets you save a profile of things you can turn off with one-legged click. Iolo's System Mechanic has a module for turning off unneeded background processes, and I can always tell the difference when I forget to do that first.

Also look for a startup manager. There's probably 10-15 things loading on boot that don't need to be on. Disabling those things from even starting can free up another hundred or two hundred megs of RAM.

You'd be amazed at how much junk gets loaded into your system on boot up - - Windows alone loads up junk you don't need (like Remote Control).

So, try shutting down everything you can and see if that makes a difference
    I will have to look into disabling Norton while I am editing.  I would like to have the staff comment on if that's a known issue?

I have 61 background processes running.  I use to be a process Nazi back on my old system but that was really
    a low power system.  Task manager shows me at 3% and 6% memory idling. 
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador
    Your mileage may vary, of course, but even those background processes that aren't active still hog memory.

I use Iolo's System Mechanic which lets me set profiles for unused background programs and processes, and I know when I run that before an edit session it closes a lot of Windows processes and frees up about 500MB of RAM. Everytime.
    So I found something on optimizing a system.  It is based around optimizing for After Effects, but the talk about bottlenecks and things which cross over to anything. 
    1)About storing your media and various setups.
    2)One video is about Open GL.  Which is eye opening and kinda makes me wish we had Open GL interactive in the previews.
    3)Stopping software that's competing for resources and a useful website for what you can shut down based on what you want.  Like safe, tweaked, and barebones. 
    They can be a lil slow but its good to help avoid bottlenecking.  Laptops and Towers.
    https://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-5351.htm