Unupgraded Ultimate

XeltyrPrinceofdreamsXeltyrPrinceofdreams Website User Posts: 12 Just Starting Out
So I'm trying my best to get the money to upgrade, but until then, I still want to continue filmmaking with my Hitfilm Ultimate. However, aside from light sabers, I'm kinda out of ideas for effects I can pull off. I have hitfilm Ultimate, action essentials, real clouds, riot gear, designer sound fx, pro scores, blender (but I don't know how to get 3D objects into live action footage) Maya, and Poser pro 2012. I'd love to hear some ideas y'all have. Thanks :-) 

Comments

• AmbiroaAmbiroa Website User Posts: 180 Just Starting Out
    Are you serious? You all have these great packages and you are asking us what (else) you can do for film-making?  :D 
    Get some good books or buy some tutorials for Blender and Maya and design and create in there. Use HF for editing it together.
    By the way, check this out: http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/4047-community-project/page-2#entry32071
    B
    unch of guys are exploring opportunities to do a community project. You maybe interested to join.
  • XeltyrPrinceofdreamsXeltyrPrinceofdreams Website User Posts: 12 Just Starting Out
    Ok , well there's the obvious effects like guns, light sabers, explosions, etc, but surely there's something more you can do with it.. I'll look into blender tutorials though.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    There's not much you can't do with that list of kit.  Can you mention some effects that you need for upcoming projects that you think you can't do with what you have?
  • XeltyrPrinceofdreamsXeltyrPrinceofdreams Website User Posts: 12 Just Starting Out
    Well, for one thing I'd like to be able to control elements such as fire and water. I know hitfilm has procedural fire, but I'm unsure of how to use it. Especially in cases like creating fireballs and throwing them. Aside from needing to learn importing 3D to live action in blender, I'd also like to learn better how to use the particle simulator (I've followed the priori incantatem tutorial already, but I wish to know more). It'd also be nice to learn other types of spells, as well as speeding things up/ slowing them down in hitfilm, and I think that'll be good for now.
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited July 2013
    Water can be tricky in HitFilm in some cases, but Maya can handle pretty much any fire or water task you want to throw at it.  Between the nParticles, the Fluid Effects, and the Soft-body dynamics in Maya, you should be able to do most types of water that you might want, if not all of them.  Whenever possible, use stock footage or practical elements for water, rather than going digitally, as you are likely to get better results.  You really have to know what you are doing in 3D to get convincing water.
    But there are loads of fire effects you can pull off in HitFilm, especially with the stock libraries you have on hand.  From people throwing fireballs, to cars or buildings exploding, to grenades, campfires, flamethrowers, candles, tornadoes of flames; any of these can be done in HitFilm, and more besides.
    Can you teach me to use all these renditions of hitfilm's procedural fire? Or at least a few?
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Rather than trying to think up random effects, try thinking of a story/concept/idea, and then work out what VFX you need to tell that story.
  • DanielMorganDanielMorgan Website User Posts: 324 Just Starting Out
    Or play with doing some motion graphics. Try recreating one your films favourite opening titles, like the Avengers or Star trek!
    Don't get me wrong, I would love you to buy HF2 and I am sure the staff agrees, but if you want to invest with money, invest it in some topnotch courses in Maya. Because honestly, if you are asking us what else you can do with it, it simply tells me you haven't maximized Maya yet.
    About the water thing, its true Maya can handle that but I am guessing you will custom code in MEL or even Python to get it near realism. If you have money to burn though and you think you will enjoy working with both water and "water" (you can wrap water with a fire cloth to create awesome fires), one of the best in the industry is RealFlow.
    But really, if you are interested and willing to dedicate yourself to CG and have Maya, go for it. Fair warning, I have Blender myself and I am already feeling bit exhausted in learning CG and film production side by side. I chose the latter because I think that CG in the hands of a master yields better results than me mastering editing etc. I think someone with decent HF skills can create pretty nice stuff, however I also think that someone with decent Maya skills will deliver nothing near cool stuff. So the investment in CG would be far more intensive for me than the investment in film.
    Maybe its vice versa with you  ;) 
    Most of those fire effects I listed wouldn't use the procedural fire, they would use the particle simulator.
    With all due respect, if I had cash to burn, i'd have upgraded by now. I'll take your advice and learn Maya though.
    You're right Mr. Jones, I will be thinking about a video I can make.
    With the particle simulator? I'll look into learning more about it sir.
    Thank you to everyone for your help and advice :-) I'll get to work.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,291 Ambassador
    Or, you mentioned having Blender? I know Blender will do pretty much everything Maya can do. With both Maya and Blender you have access to an online community, YouTube tutorials, lynda.com courses, and, of course, good old-fashioned books.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,291 Ambassador
    Oh, yeah, as far as inspiration goes, you can always look at the excellent tutorials produced by FxHome and community users. Recreate and expand on those FX. MAYBE a shot will inspire you to more. I just did a couple of spaceship shots to practice mocha integration and ended up inspired to upgrade my effects tests into a full-on short film... Or take a look at Film Riot's Monday challenge or the old Hitfilm contests for ideas. Or look at any 48 hour film festival site and take one of their title/line/prop packages and see where that takes you. Above all, remember that unless you're just doing a showreel to get work, visual effects are about telling a story. Once you have the "Who-what-where-when-why" of a story idea, the VFX requirements find themselves.