How to copy correctly from a different project ?

Stefam
Stefam Posts: 72
edited June 2016 in HitFilm

I've come to hate lying software :)

So how do I copy a layer from a comp of another project correctly into another project. I'd say that the clipboard could actually even know the media and paste it into the new project.

But I'm not even asking that and did it for myself. So I just wanted to copy the whole layer (the muzzle flash) mainly for its transformation animation from one project to this one. So after encountering the first complaint of HF no finding the media I added it myself. Again, HF tells me just that it cannot find the media now.

Hm ... why not then just paste the layer and its effects and transformations and animations and but in a blank warning "media not found" letting me replace it ... or better: reconnect it because the file is exactly the same. Not just a name match but also the same absolute file path.

Now the 5 million doll ... pound sterling question goes like this: How do I such a copy operation successfully in HF?

Yes, you can find it ... just look to the left

Comments

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast
    edited June 2016

In Project A export a composite shot then in Project B import the previously exported composite shot.

In Project B import Project A and delete what you don't want. (Import Composite Shot can also import an entire project)

• Stefam

@Aladdin4d
    Thanks, but how do I export a comp shot? The export panel only offers options to render out a certain timeline as far as I can see. And the right mouse menu (the place where I would expect that) only seems to offer "import" in the media explorer :(

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

Oh sorry! Right click the comp shot containing the layer(s) you want in the media panel and select "Save As". That exports just that comp shot with "hfcs" as the file extension. It's a great way to save set ups to use like presets in other projects

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,679 Ambassador

To expand a bit: one can export a composite shot by right-clicking on the comp in the media panel and selecting "Export Composite Shot," which saves the shot as an .hfcs file. However any nested/embedded comps used in the exported shot are lost. 

However, entire projects can be selected using the "Import Composite Shot" dialog. In this case, a pop-up will list all Composite Shots in the imported project. One can select which composite shots to import (or not). In this case selecting Composite Shot >shot name< will also automatically import any required nested/embedded Composite Shots. 

To sum up--a single,self-contained Composite Shot with no embedded comps can be exported/imported as a Composite Shot. A Composite Shot that has embedded comps needs to be saved as a project and imported as a "Composite Shot."

If one needs to transfer an Editor Timeline between projects then that Editor Timeline should be copied into a Composite Shot, the file saved as a project, then the Editor's composite shot selected when importing the project as a" Composite Shot."

• @Triem23 how do you convert the entire timeline to a composite shot? I have wanted to do this for effects effecting two or more clips and grading. HF only allows me to convert one clip at a time or I'm I misunderstanding your instructions?

• Triem23

Oh, you have to create a comp the length of the Edit Timeline then select all tracks and do a copy/paste. You can't auto-convert multiple editor elements to a Composite in one go. 

I should have said that. Sorry for the confusion. 

• Stefam

Aladdin4d @Triem23
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm currently not in front of my HF but I did check the right mouse menu in the media explorer yesterday. I'm pretty sure that there were no commands "Save As" or "Export whatsoever" available there.

This is not just a Pro feature, is it?

Anyway, I'll check this in the evening. If at least import project works as Triem23 suggested, by letting me select the comps that I really want to import only then this would be fine by me :)

• Triem23

I'm not on a computer myself, but I will be in a couple of hours. I'll jump into Express and check, but I wouldn't think it's a Pro-Only feature. 

• Stefam

The manual says that it is available in HF 4 Express.

Might be another blackout of mine overseeing the option during late night edits :)

• Triem23

Just jumped into 4 Express to check this. My bad--I gave you an incorrect direction. When you right-click on the Composite Shot in the Media Panel, you're looking for "Save As..." It should be right under "Make Composite Shot."

It will open the file explorer box and you should see "Hitfilm Composite Shot (.hfcs)" in the "type" dropdown.

• Stefam

@Triem23

Thanks to your guidance I finally discovered the "Save As" option on the comp menu and was successfully able to import it into another project. :)

I still blame late night hazyness for not finding it yesterday :)

This discussion has been closed.