Handheld compositing

XeltyrPrinceofdreamsXeltyrPrinceofdreams Website User Posts: 12 Just Starting Out
Lately I've been very curious as to how one would track an object such as a sword (or keyblade) into the hand of an actor. Recently I got the idea I might use a wooden pole covered in checkered duct tape, and just try to mocha track that, but is there a better way I'm not thinking of? Thanks :-) 

Comments

• AculagAculag Website User Posts: 708 Just Starting Out
    Surely it would be quite a lot easier to simply make a sword prop?
  • HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    edited July 2013
    I've seen some interesting tutorials on doing this kind of thing in Blender using object tracking/replacment like on the following videos; I wouldn't be surprised if some of these ideas could then be messaged so as to use with Hitfilm and Mocha in some way. Could be useful for creating totally insane props that might otherwise be difficult to create/simulate in real form.  :)  ....though otherwise, Aculag has a good point: the effort to go through all this might not be worth it for something requiring only a fairly simple physical prop.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmYaRRhyivA
    EDIT: ooops, sorry....looks like the owner of this other one doesn't like it to be embedded so can only link.
    vimeo.com/33283857
  • Sci Fi Ecstasy ChannelSci Fi Ecstasy Channel Website User Posts: 48
    Could you simply use a two point track with different colored bands of tape at the tip and base of the stick??
    I haven't gotten into much of the 3D stuff yet...
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,243 Staff
    edited July 2013
    If the prop only moves in two dimensions, and only moves slowly, then you might be able to use two-point tracking as you mention.  But as soon as the prop moves in 3 dimensions, which it is very, very likely to do, then you'll need a 3D version of the prop to replace it with to get convincing results.  But practical is better than digital.  Its easier, faster, and looks better to actually create a prop that looks as close as possible to the end result you need.  If you don't really know how to create it, its also easier and faster to learn to build a practical prop than it is to learn to create, and composite in, a convincing 3D prop in that sort of situation.  Especially the portion of the prop that interacts with your actor should really be done practically.  Then you could enhance it digitally if its impossible to build it all practically.
  • Sci Fi Ecstasy ChannelSci Fi Ecstasy Channel Website User Posts: 48
    Ahhh... Well, now that you explain it that way. I guess my suggestion was kind of useless. LOL!!