Sony Creative Software Sells Majority of Products to MAGIX Software GmbH

Har
Har Posts: 401 Enthusiast
edited May 2016 in General

Heads-up: being a Sony Vegas/Movie Studio owner, I just received the following announcement from Sony via email (link to press release: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/news/pressreleases/2016/sony-creative-software-sell-products-to-magix)

"Press Releases
Sony Creative Software

Friday, May 20, 2016
Sony Creative Software Sells Majority of Products to MAGIX Software GmbH
Catalyst Production Suite Remains with Sony for Professional Broadcast and Production Applications

Middleton, WIS — Sony Creative Software (SCS) has sold the majority of its products to MAGIX Software GmbH.

SCS will remain a part of Sony Electronics and will continue to own and distribute its Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Production Suites. These products will continue to be developed by Sony for professional broadcast and production applications.

By purchasing the full Vegas Pro, Movie Studio, Sound Forge Pro, and ACID Pro product lines from SCS, MAGIX is further cementing its position in the market and accelerating its international growth as a leading creator of video, music, and photo-editing software and apps in Europe and the U.S.

“The MAGIX team has a unique expertise in software and will breathe new life into these storied media titles for professionals and consumers,” said Alec Shapiro, president, Sony’s Professional Solutions Americas. “Our suite of Catalyst products has carved a unique niche in the production community. We will focus on developing these technologies and making them even more powerful workflow solutions for our professional broadcast and production customers.”

MAGIX will continue to support all current SCS customers to ensure a seamless end user experience. The company has also hired several former SCS employees.

“These products from Sony Creative Software are the perfect addition to our portfolio,” said MAGIX CEO Klaus Schmidt. “We have already strengthened our presence in the United States in order to propel development and sales. This autumn, we plan to release new versions of the video-editing programs Vegas Pro and Movie Studio, which are heavily oriented toward the customer requirements of today.”

The Sony Creative Software team will continue to maintain a presence in the Middleton/Madison, Wis., area."

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,134 Enthusiast
  • Har
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,574 Ambassador

I have some more information, bjt this is off the record. 

Vegas 14 was intended to be announced at CES and released at NAB. However the sale to Magix slowed things up. So, Vegas 14 is basically done. Presumably some more minor tweaks will happen as long as logo screens are being changed, but we will get Vegas 14 soon.

@NormanPCN Har isn't one of those hitting the forum every day, and the other Vegas 14 thread predates the merger announcement, starting with the assurances of people trying to state Vegas 14 was happening without violating NDAs. He's just being a good guy and passing on the news. :) 

• Sarasota
    Sarasota Posts: 267 Just Starting Out*
    edited August 2016
  • TommyCampbell
    TommyCampbell Posts: 33 Just Starting Out*

Looking forward to a new version of Vegas. I've been using Eduis 8.2 a lot more lately, even letting my beloved FCPX gathering dust.

• Setiawan
    Setiawan Posts: 31 Enthusiast

What is your feature wish for the Future of Vegas Pro ?
    Post it here: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/showmessage.asp?forumid=4&messageid=945471

Eric Dettman (user MAGIX_Eric D) has joined the SCS Forum and gather all wishlist..

Set

• Sarasota
    Sarasota Posts: 267 Just Starting Out*
    edited August 2016
  • Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast
    edited June 2016

got this in an email today:

VEGAS Pro is entering into a brand new era!

Since the acquisition of VEGAS Pro and other tools from Sony Creative Software, our entire development team in Madison, Wisconsin is working tirelessly to take video editing with VEGAS Pro to the next level.

This means that at the end of September 2016, you can look forward to the most advanced version of VEGAS Pro yet!

Here's a sneak peek of some of the highlights and new features in the upcoming version: 

» HEVC/H.265 support
    » 4K Smart Upscaling
    » Native ProRes support
    » and much more!

Stay tuned for more updates and get ready for the all new VEGAS Pro 14.

Sincerely,

Klaus Schmidt
    CEO MAGIX Software GmbH

• TRIFLIX
    TRIFLIX Columbus, INPosts: 927 Enthusiast

h.265! Where you at HitFilm? :(

• Triem23

I'm still hoping that a lot of the reason that Vegas 14 had such a long dev cycle (besides the paperwork of the sale eating up a few months) is rewrite of the basic core engine to get off VfW.

I got this e-mail, too, and these first listed new features are good utility features. The h.265 will be great when needing to ingest things like smartphone footage, and the ProRes will be very useful with all those lovely new hardware recorders going to ProRes. Means I won't have to bounce ProRes assets through Mpeg Streamclip to convert to DNxHD anymore!

• MMunthe
    MMunthe Posts: 5
    edited June 2016

My future wish for Vegas "Pro": Realtime playback. UX overhaul. The current one wasn't even hot in the 90's.

• eTV
    eTV Posts: 44

Ok - I have not yet received the mail, so I can't comment on that part.

I am just thinking - doesn't it sound a bit like they have taken in some of the functions from their current flagship product Magix Video Pro X?

ProRes, HEVC/H.265 etc are at least listed on the latest version of that product. Not saying that this is a bad thing at all - I was perhaps hoping for better utilisation of the GPU (for nVidia) when rendering, plus more stable version. Even though SVP 13 is more stable than earlier versions, it is still not close to HitFilm (to name a random program ) in that area.

• Har

Just got the email from them about their plans for Movie Studio as well:

"Movie Studio is entering into a brand new era!

Since the acquisition of Movie Studio and other tools from Sony Creative Software, our entire development team in Madison, Wisconsin is working tirelessly to take video editing to the next level.

This means that at the end of February 2017, you can look forward to the most advanced Movie Studio yet. The new version will come with exciting new features and a new name: VEGAS Movie Studio.

Here's a sneak peek of some of the highlights in the upcoming version:

» New video effects
    » Multi-cam editing
    » Travel route animation
    » and much more

Stay tuned for more updates and get ready for the all new VEGAS Movie Studio 14!

Sincerely,

Klaus Schmidt
    CEO MAGIX Software GmbH"

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out

4K Smart Upscaling

What does that mean?

When displays are involved, upscaling simply means displaying lower resolution content in full screen on a high resolution display.

• Aladdin4d
    Aladdin4d Posts: 2,481 Enthusiast

@KevinTheFilmmaker

It means the same thing really but it'll be optimized for upscaling 1080p to 4k

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited June 2016

Just hope that Vegas Movie Studio has the interface from either Sony Movie Studio 12 or Sony Vegas 13, not the one from Sony Movie Studio 13 because that is utter, utter unusable crap.

It is completely impossible to adjust the blend length of two tracks once they've been overlapped without moving one of them to the timeline above, changing the length, then dragging it back down again, because every time you try and select the handle for the first track, it decides you really wanted to select the second one, even though the handle was right there when you clicked on it. :(

• karma17
    karma17 Posts: 45 Just Starting Out*

I came to HF by way of Sony Vegas, and have always enjoyed using Vegas over any other NLE. I really hope Magix makes it better. I loved the choice of rendering options in Vegas and rarely had it crash on me, even with complex projects. I am guessing they will give Vegas users a discount for the next iteration of it. It looks like the license gives you one year of updates, then after that, if you reinstall it, then you only get the basic version and have to pay a discounted fee to get the update guarantee back in place. At least, that's the pricing model under their Video Pro X software, which seems roughly equivalent to Vegas Pro. Whatever you do, I wouldn't recommend Sony Catalyst. It is full of bugs and just went to a subscription model, which is $200 per year.

• Marcin
    Marcin Posts: 128 Just Starting Out

@Palacono: there is a workaround for this. Every track in Vegas and Movie studio consists of two tracks and you can display those track in the UI. I'm not at home at the moment, so I will write detailed description later today.

But +10 to rollback UI changes of the version 13 :) Lots of wasted space, need to switch between change length/fade, harder to get to the "normal" export screen and so on...

• Palacono

@Marcin, that would be useful, thanks. Oh yes, the Export nightmare that never remembers that last setting you made for the same project only a few minutes previously. What is it with UI designers making things harder to use than the previous versions? :(

• Marcin

@Palacono Right click on the video track header and choose "Expand track layers".

• Palacono
    edited June 2016

@Marcin, Thanks for checking. :) OK, that separates them, but that's seriously retarded compared to how it just works in SMS12, and it takes up even more space.  :(

It's OK, I mostly work in SMS12 anyway. SMS13 is used to cut, crop and zoom into 4k or 2.7k footage and have Hitfilm add effects, or tracking things etc., then I usually export at 1080p and cut it together in SMS12. SVPro 13 still has the useable interface, but it's not worth buying just for that. ;)

• Marcin

@Palacono - at least you don't have to add a new video track for clip length adjustment and you can reclaim the space by hiding track layers.

But, of course, the v12 way is much better :)

• Triem23

Magix Store now up with an intro deal of Vegas Pro 13 and DVD Architect 6 for $199 with a free Vegas 14 upgrade. 

So I'm guessing the upgrade will be $199 for current owners. 

http://www.magix.com/index.php?id=22799&L=52?id=22799&L=52&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=US_25_vcs_intro3&utm_content=vegas14#c424589

• NamesHitfilm
    NamesHitfilm Posts: 26
    edited June 2016
  • BobDiMarzio
    BobDiMarzio Posts: 630 Just Starting Out

Interesting thing happened.  First thanks @Triem23  I felt that $199.00 was a decent price and with the anticipation of 14, that there would be sufficient ongoing support and "hopefully" integration with Hifilm Pro.   Here is where it gets interesting.   After downloading the files, none of the installation files would run.    I spoke to MAGIX, and all they were able to share was the usual "Check your antivirus software"  The rep also mentioned that MAGIX does not support download managers.    So, since I been using Internet Download Manager for  at least 6 years without any problems what so ever, I found it hard to believe that this was the cause.   So,  I re-downloaded all the files bypassing IDM and they are now all fine.  So, if anyone else uses IDM and is interested in the Vegas deal, you have been warned.

Bob

• CourtneyBrown
    CourtneyBrown Posts: 70 Just Starting Out*

Thanks @Triem23. I already have SVP13, so I don't see a reason to get the new $199 offer. I too hope that they offer an upgrade price of $199. It is nice that Vegas is continuing, but to be honest, we will have to wait and see if Magix does something useful with it. The interface alone will not pull people from other software, and I am sure that a lot of people have wondered off to other software by now. Integration with HitFilm will be a big plus if they do it. In particular, we will have to see if version 14 is stable...no crashes. Also, I have long felt that the end product in Vegas is not as nice as the end product in Premier or HitFilm. Something about the color. Beats me. The HitFilm editor is not so stable, but the final video really does look nice. Premier is super stable, and the final video is also really good. I honestly do not know what it is with Vegas. Something is not right with it. Pans and zooms (e.g., Ken Burns effect) are not as smooth as they should be either. Anyway, it has long been apparent that Sony is not so good in the software business, so I am glad Magix is giving it a try. But I remember how Corel purchased WordPerfect from Novel, which is a much better product than MS Word. But it was too late. They were slow in integrating it with Windows. The world had already turned away when Novel stopped advancing it. So to get people to return to Vegas, they will have to offer something significantly better than version 13. The end product must have a Hollywood polish to it that Vegas was not able to deliver. Let's hoping. I will purchase version 14 when it comes out, with a hope and a prayer.

• Palacono

If you hope the upgrade price will be $199, why not buy another copy of SV13P now and just not use it? :)

Of course you'd be on a winner if the upgrade price later turned out to be $249, but lose out if it was $159. But then again, could you sell on the second copy of SV13P if you hadn't used it?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,995 Just Starting Out

How would a software scaler perform better than a hardware scaler like those found in high end TV's @Aladdin4d

Seems like just marketing gibberish to me. Otherwise wouldn't every manufacturer implement the software to their TV's, if it was better/cheaper, including Sony themselves?

• Kadri
    Kadri Posts: 168 Just Starting Out*
    edited July 2016

Shows how different experience everyone can have. I had no problem with Premiere until the subscription phase of Adobe and switched to Sony Vegas. I like it and have only minor problems that are mostly related to different GUI kinda things. Hitfilm is nice, easy to use but the antialiasing is counterintuitive and i suffer with different looks like the viewer and the end render look (Hitfilm 3 still). 

The funny  thing was 1 or 2 days before this announcement i was looking at  MAGIX Video Pro X  for the future.

• Triem23

@KevintheFilmaker not necessarily. A hardware scaler is quick and dirty and probably just scales up with a bit of anitaliasing to smooth things out. "Smart" effects, whether blurs or scalers or other effects follow rules and attempt to analyze the footage to determine if something should be antialiased or left sharp. This requires a fast enough processor to run the code in real time without losing audio synch, RAM to run in and ROM to store the code in. Obviously hardware scaler is faster/cheaper.