Is my lens broke?

TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out

So I bought my NX500 from the Amazon warehouse about 2 weeks ago and the lens ALWAYS makes a constant, weird, whirling noise.

I found a video online with the same issue, but with no description or comments. 

So... is it broke? Amazon may be kind and spare me since it less than 30 days.

Comments

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,509 Enthusiast

Does it still make noise if you turn off O.I.S.? 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

This is a common and known issue with the NX500. Even if you turn off OIS, autofocus and auto iris, the motors for the NX500 lens are always in active standby--i.e. running.

• TriFlixFilmsTriFlixFilms Website User Posts: 925 Just Starting Out

@Aladdub4d Yes, not matter what setting I change, this noise is always made upon start up. Even when I'm just viewing pictures and not enabling the lens.

@Triem23 So should I return it or will every lens do this? I haven't had time to edit any videos but I'm afriad it'll create some very unrecoverable audio :(

• BobDiMarzioBobDiMarzio Website User Posts: 632 Just Starting Out
    edited May 2016
  • kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,923 Enthusiast

My Canon 50mm 1.8 sounds way louder than that. I'm never going to touch the auto focus again, lol!

@KevinTheFilmmaker Dang :( but mine always makes that noise, no matter the mode its in.

Thanks @BobDiMarzio, feels a little better now :) None of the reviews for the camera mentioned it... I wonder if its all lenses on just the 16-50 haha

edited May 2016

@TriFlixFilms

Ah, mine does that only when auto focus is enabled, and it's slow too... 

Hopefully you get this sorted, have you tried asking the manufacturer? Sounds like it's a common problem though.

----

Buying that lens was the biggest mistake I've made so far for my camera, it's so zoomed in when using it with a 1.6 crop sensor.

I'm looking for a cheap 30mm prime but doesn't appear to be any...

Anyways, here's the manufacturer live chat: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/live-chat.html

Pick Digital Camera and you should have your answer in about 5 minutes. Their waiting times are usually very low.

@TriFlixFilms

No problem, what did they say?

Unfortunately all of our representatives are busy ect... I'll try again later tonight. Since I bought it through amazon's warehouse deals, they may not even service it :(

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

I have a Fuji camera that looks like a DSLR but it's just an elaborate point and shoot. It too makes the same noise when the auto lens tries to focus. There was no getting around the electronic creaking noise getting into the audio so I had to save up for a real DSLR. Longest 2 years of my life. lol Anyway- hope there's something that can be done regarding your situation......just don't hold your breath.  ;^)  Best to find out now though in case you ultimately decide to return it and look for something that won't interfere with the audio.

edited May 2016

Well it, doesnt have audio input so I'm best off buying a Zoom H5 and a shock mount and plopping it on top. This camera was purchased as a temporary while I visit Paris and will migrate to a B-Roll only camera one I get a real production camera like a GH5 or a Craft Cinema Camera. Hopefully the H5 will focus on vocals and not the lens noise, but without a mountable shotgun mic it'll probably be an issue. Probably buy the H5 and the Senheiser MKE 600 in a week or two. Guess we'll see @StormyKnight