Animator - RedHat

Particle artist - Kahveh Robinett

Scenery artist - ?

Compositor - Masqutti

Colorist - Cantblendthis

Editor - Michael James

SoundFX - Kyre Peters

Music / Ambience - Har

We need at least 1 scenery artist yet! Vue could be used to do the spherical skyboxes, but also artist should place the planets, sun, if there's any particle simulations ("starfog" and similar would be cool), astroids as particles etc etc. So everything that "is in the backround". Also animated things are great, gives loads of interesting details if there are astroids flying around etc. To my liking, this can be done inside hitfilm to great extend.
    another one helping out the compositing would be great also. :)

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
  • [quote name="Masqutti" post="32634" timestamp="1375168971"]
    If it's not a big trouble, please, take some great sceneryshots!! :) Still images are great, we can do a cameramapping with them eventually.
    But note: 
    I'm not yet certain if we'll need them tho in this project. The script includes scenes on the surface of destroyed earth, BUT we may not have the time to do that scene! :(
    It depends how well this project kicks off. :)
    Hey, could you do panoramic shots? Even regular still images are ok, if you have an tripod, just circle it around and take the shots, I'm sure we can stitch them together afterwards! That would be great also, to have something like 180 degrees of camera panning-possibility! :)[/quote] Im on it!
  • RedHat
    RedHat Posts: 75
    edited July 2013
    Hello all.  Today is my free day, so I can really devote my focus.  I am RedHat & I am the animator for this project.  Please pm with questions & ideas to help get this project up to speed.  The way I see it is I need models of everything to start animating along with background scenery, so we can all be on the same page about scale & speed.   I don't want to reanimate objects because the scale keeps changing.  We need someone to fill the position of scenery artist immediately because that helps determine scale.  I'd rather not use low poly stuff unless we have to.  It that case I will ask.  The models in this short shouldn't have to be too high & high res textures can make up for less poly models. 
    Spydurhank, I friend requested you.  Please upload your models to Masqutti dropbox as soon as possible. 
    I am very excited to be working with such a great team & thank you to everyone including Sip.

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,193 Expert
    Here's a little tut that I just finished. It should help a great deal when trying to quickly come up with, animated paths for 3D objects. Or even simple animatics... lots of potential.  :) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uhxG9JvzoM
  • spydurhank
    And here's the Moon, almost complete.  :) 
    51fp.jpg

• RedHat
    Good tute, but I'm stuck right now trying to export 3d studio max camera movement into Hitfilm.  Does anyone have any advice?  Otherwise it will be blender to hitfilm.  Where did you get the ma export option for Blender?  My version does not have it.
  • The storyboard you've created is quite nice. But can I create an entire shot by myself? Or do I haft to just make particles because I'm the particle artist. Also what kind of particle stuff were you thinking? I can make some digital spark assets if you'd like?
  • RedHat
    Sweet & thank you.  It is working as your tute suggested.
  • spydurhank
  • Masqutti
    Masqutti Posts: 340
    I have the updated blender to hitfilm script. You don't need to alter zoom value in this one; it's actually delivered from blender settings with the script. You can download the script here; it works just the same:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yba54c8ykzeabjg/export_hitfilm_camera_fixed.py
    I recommend! :)
  • Masqutti
    The storyboard you've created is quite nice. But can I create an entire shot by myself? Or do I haft to just make particles because I'm the particle artist. Also what kind of particle stuff were you thinking? I can make some digital spark assets if you'd like?

Your main task is to create particlesystems. But of course, if you have the time and you want, sure you can help in other aspects too. I'm the only compositor at the moment so another one would be cool. Also, we don't have assigned scenery artist yet, that means creating the backround, particles like astroids and debris in the distance, meteors, sun and stuff.
    It's a must to have people doing only things they're assigned to, because
    1) Everyone can then participate
    2) People don't do same things without knowing it, step each other toes etc.
    3) This is a rather large project that needs coordination. :)

• Masqutti

Hello all.  Today is my free day, so I can really devote my focus.  I am RedHat & I am the animator for this project.  Please pm with questions & ideas to help get this project up to speed.  The way I see it is I need models of everything to start animating along with background scenery, so we can all be on the same page about scale & speed.   I don't want to reanimate objects because the scale keeps changing.  We need someone to fill the position of scenery artist immediately because that helps determine scale.  I'd rather not use low poly stuff unless we have to.  It that case I will ask.  The models in this short shouldn't have to be too high & high res textures can make up for less poly models. 
    Spydurhank, I friend requested you.  Please upload your models to Masqutti dropbox as soon as possible. 
    I am very excited to be working with such a great team & thank you to everyone including Sip.

Hi! 
    Are you using blender now or? That would ofc fit the workflow maybe a little easier.
    I think you should be the one to determine object scales. Just use primitives, ball, cube, cone. SIP already has that model I linked for you, you can use that for a start. :)
    That way you can create the animations already beforehand, and apply final models later(and scale them to be appropriate size). Note that I talk about the "rough movement paths". There will be some animations that cannot be done properly like the drill, only after the model is finished.
    I think it's important to start creating the animation already as fast as possible, as all the other stuff too. If we do it all one by one, we would end doing this for the next 3 months. :)

• Masqutti
    edited July 2013
    Here's a little tut that I just finished. It should help a great deal when trying to quickly come up with, animated paths for 3D objects. Or even simple animatics... lots of potential.  :) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uhxG9JvzoM

Thanks for this!!! I'll look into it myself also! :)
    And that moon looks incredible! :)
    Edit: Ok I watched. That's some craziest basic animation **** I can think of. THANK YOU! :) One question; would it be actually nice to do the following: Don't bake the action ever to the ship model, only bake the null-object that's following the ship. That way we can easily change those curves without ever needing to touch the ship in any way and then, if we need to re-export animation to hitfilm, just delete the null that follow the ship, and create a new null after reäanimation & bake it?? will it work ok?

• Masqutti
    Hi!

I just send this to everyone:

If you haven't set up a DropBox account, do it now, and send your e-mail address associated the dropbox to me, and I'll give you access to the project folder.

If you already have a DropBox account, just send your e-mail to me. :)

If you already gave your e-mail account, great! keep on rocking! :)

- Masqutti

• spydurhank
    Thanks for this!!! I'll look into it myself also! :)
    And that moon looks incredible! :)
    Edit: Ok I watched. That's some craziest basic animation **** I can think of. THANK YOU! :) One question; would it be actually nice to do the following: Don't bake the action ever to the ship model, only bake the null-object that's following the ship. That way we can easily change those curves without ever needing to touch the ship in any way and then, if we need to re-export animation to hitfilm, just delete the null that follow the ship, and create a new null after reäanimation & bake it?? will it work ok?

Yeah, that's no problem... there's actually no need to bake the curve path into keyframes... I only showed you guys how to do it so that you would know that the option to do so, was there. It's actually better to, not bake into keyframes so that you can keep tweaking the animation.  :)

• RedHat
    Alright, I'll created the animation in Blender without the baking & without the curves.  Then I'll upload them to the dropbox.  Yippie.  I love it when a plan comes together.
  • Masqutti
    Quote that Mr. Hannibal. ;)
    That sounds great! Good work guys!
  • Masqutti
    SAMPLE.pngSAMPLE2.png
    That kind of stuff! How do you feel about this SIP? :) It's ofc low-poly, and under construction yet.
  • Wow! that ships is looking epic. Can't wait to see the finished product!
  • RedHat
    I like it.  It has a different feeling than the original Sip.
  • MichaelJames
    edited August 2013
    Can someone export the SIP model  in Blender to Autodesk FBX?

Method.
    Open .blend file in Blender.
    Select only the mesh and armature objects you want to convert (shift+click to select multiple objects)
    Go to File > Export > Autodesk FBX
    In the options box, select:
    Selected Objects
    Scale: 1.00
    Rot X90
    Armature
    Mesh
    Click Export
    Save the resulting .fbx
    Id like to put this into a more accessible format...
  • Masqutti
    Sure!
    I can't access blender at the moment. If someone can, please convert it.
    It's still under construction so it should be concidered as a proxy model yet.
  • Masqutti
    I've updated abit the workflow-document. It can be found @ documents folder, siptheflyworkflow.pdf.
    Basicly I've made some points regarding the software. We'll be rendering animations with blender. Exporting camera & null data to hitfilm allows us to place particle systems, billboard objects etc to the scenery and animations etc. Also, special effects like explosions. Scenery is also composited inside hitfilm, for example VUE skyboxes will be imported to hitflim to be used. Particle stardust, distant debris etc all inside hitfilm.
    Animations will be composited on top of that all. They can be 3D-planes also to give more dynamic control with other hitfilm elements.
    At best with this workflow, we will be getting professional quality, way beyond just hitfilm's own 3D capabilities!
  • Ambiroa
    Ambiroa Posts: 180 Just Starting Out
    Hello hellooooo, CB checking in!
    First of all awesome to see this project is going well and Masqutti is able to fill in positions along the way. Had a great holiday but ready to tackle my part of this short.
    Second, I changed my profile name to a personal label I already have for a while.
    So to focus on this project:
    Masqutti send me a introductory briefing for the grading part, already replied him, but here are some thoughts for specific colleagues: I agree with him to have a regular space color-scheme (dark, blue-ish), but I forgot how Sip and Argo are portrayed in all of this so if anyone can refresh me on this that would be great. Are they both supposed to show emotions in some way, because if they do, the color-scheme will cool that down. Take that into account when deciding on the aesthetics part of the two characters. So if you like to keep the color-scheme, the emotions have to be conferred in a different way, for example by sound (reference: Wall-E is on a harsh looking planet, but the sounds makes him a robot with emotions)
    For the modelers: take into account during texturing, rigging and matte painting that I will grade the global into a darker scheme, and also pulling back the reds. So before you create everything dark-blue, remember it will be pushed in that same direction during my grade.
    Any other question or thoughts I will post/pm asap. 
  • MichaelJames
    @CHATHAM BALDWIN either blue in the shadows(classic sci fi) or the teal orange Hollywood block buster grade ;)
  • Ambiroa
    Ambiroa Posts: 180 Just Starting Out
    Exactly the two options I was thinking of, either the Prometheus way, or Wall-E. I like them both and Masqutti wants to try different looks. I am going to make the same shot in different color-schemes to see what look fits the story and the emotion we like to tell the viewer, and which one is simply horrible in combination with the animation, texture, rigging, etc.
    I tend to choose the darky look because the setting is primarily in space, instead of primarily on a planet. But it needs to fit with the animation. Glad that I can grade in layers so I can keep both Sip and Argo a bit brighter on specific moments. That should help the viewer to have a clear view on the frame.
  • spydurhank
    Testing out Blender's Cycles render engine. Just a reminder that this model has 1,113,106 faces so it's uber high poly. 

10 samples, 9 seconds render time. Post work, 1 pixel blur and sharpened the image a little bit.
    07ek.jpg

100 samples, 37 seconds render time. No post work.
    4osr.jpg

1,000 samples, 5 minutes 27 seconds render time. No post work.
    bco2.jpg

• Masqutti
    Sounds great! ;)
    Update; SIP is being upgraded. How does this look, any opinions, feedback, comments, praises??? It's FullHD to get better picture of the details...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2prb7y2fgehvgey/SAMPLE3.png